Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times

Advertisements

Wharton: 55 Miles of Bike Lanes Coming - Memphis Daily News - Business, Government, Politics, News, Public Records, Public Notices, Crime Report, Neighborhood Report, Marketing Lists, Research

Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr. has directed city engineering staff to adjust their operating budget plans to facilitate the phased creation of about 55 miles of new bicycle lanes and facilities throughout the city.

Wharton’s plans call for new bike lanes and facilities throughout the city, and the first 55 miles especially target South Memphis, Midtown, Downtown and the University of Memphis area. However, it’s only the first step of a bigger investment that will ultimately include many more miles of bike lanes that connect even more of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 PM

278 posts, read 992,862 times
That's great news. If we add more lanes for bikers, maybe they will be smarter and quit riding their bikes on 2 lane roads where it is 40 mph. Sure we should share the road, but bikers should be more practical about where they ride.
This is an extreme case, but I saw a guy on Gtown Pkwy one afternoon around 6pm riding his bike. He slowly changed lanes until he was in the left turn lane. Cars were all over him.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
I would be scared to death to ride a bike in this city, with or without bike lanes. To many drunks and idiots for me

Old 07-17-2010, 07:40 AM

40 posts, read 119,206 times
Interesting ... One of my concerns about moving to the Memphis area was my perception of the lack of good riding opportunities. I'm always amazed when I see riders in front of my parents house between Moscow & LaGrange on Hwy 57. It makes me think the riders must be desperate for routes if they ride there.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
I saw a cat yesterday merging onto I-240 @ Poplar yesterday on a unicycle

Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I would be scared to death to ride a bike in this city, with or without bike lanes. To many drunks and idiots for me
I have also found the bikers themselves to be terribly inconsiderate and reckless, blowing through 4-way stops is the main infraction. It seems that they think those goofy helmets and spandex give them some sort of entitlement to disregard traffic laws.

Awaiting outrage, but that has been my experience. Shady Grove and Yates and Neshoba and Cordova in Germantown. I've even seen them blow through the red light at Germantown and Neshoba.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times
Without changing our city, we can't improve. Only by altering the status quo can we improve the walkability of the community and concomitantly improve our quality of life.

Opposing change, and defending the status quo appears to be either an admission that one does not want to see improvement, or a concession that the status quo is in fact, unobjectionable. And who would want to maintain something objectionable? Who wouldn't want to improve upon it?

If we can improve, let's do so. These lanes help us improve in the area of not being friendly to alternative transportation and not being conducive to exercise. This is a great project to combine with the railroad jogging trail.

Hopefully it's just part two in the steps our community takes to improve recreational options and the health of its citizens.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Without changing our city, we can't improve. Only by altering the status quo can we improve the walkability of the community and concomitantly improve our quality of life.

Opposing change, and defending the status quo appears to be either an admission that one does not want to see improvement, or a concession that the status quo is in fact, unobjectionable. And who would want to maintain something objectionable? Who wouldn't want to improve upon it?

If we can improve, let's do so. These lanes help us improve in the area of not being friendly to alternative transportation and not being conducive to exercise. This is a great project to combine with the railroad jogging trail.

Hopefully it's just part two in the steps our community takes to improve recreational options and the health of its citizens.
Well said. This is long over due. Many cities across the nation are doing this. Pedestrian friendly neighborhoods and infrastructure is the direction things are going now. This is a step in the right direction.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth- my observations exactly and presicely

the last thing Memphis needs is another excuse for traffic incidents- the automobile drivers are NOT accustomed to even seeing enough bikers in this city, let alone most can't drive correctly in the first place-

ditto on the ingoring traffice laws- the idiots in spnadex don't seem to realize that they MUST adhere to the same traffic laws-
The same can be said for the narcissistic, anorexic, mentally ill compulsive joggers, who insist on showcasing their exercise-ravaged bodies by jogging at dusk..in the rain, at someplace like Sycamore View and Summer, where drivers can barely see each other, let alone these phantoms.

One of my neighbors, who was a compulsive jogger, was run over at that very intersection. His jogging addiction was cured, but the remedy is not recommended.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Perfect example for "Miserable". Instead of embracing a system that would teach & encourage co-existence of autos & bikes in designated areas, only see possible negatives. No reason nor relativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis