Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM

628 posts, read 1,681,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Not everyone has to see things the way you do. You--and folks like you--could simply ignore them, but clearly you--and folks like you--like arguing with them too much.
I must admit, I like to expose Miserables & trolls for what they are. Although, the ones on this forum make themselves look ridiculous, waning my own interest. True, not everyone has to see things the way we do... You are free to ruin your own credibility. Anytime anyone says something positive, it's "Hickory Hill this" & "Calipari that". If it's between kicking puppies and trolling City-Data for the same gratifying effect, please stay with us.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,511,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Well, I find it ironic that Miserables accuse others of ignoring problems while they wallow, looking for problems & difficulties as easy targets to exploit, trying to create a perception of hopelessness & fear.
Well, I find it ironic that Kool-Aid drinkers accuse others of pointing out problems while they wallow in denial, looking for a tiny pearl in 600 sq. miles of rancid oysters, trying to create a perception of that all is well, when clearly that is not the case. .

Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I must admit, I like to expose Miserables & trolls for what they are. Although, the ones on this forum make themselves look ridiculous, waning my own interest. True, not everyone has to see things the way we do... You are free to ruin your own credibility. Anytime anyone says something positive, it's "Hickory Hill this" & "Calipari that". If it's between kicking puppies and trolling City-Data for the same gratifying effect, please stay with us.
I must admit, I like to expose Kool-Aid Drinkers for what they are. Although, the ones on this forum make themselves look ridiculous, waning my own interest. True, not everyone has to see things the way we do... You are free to ruin your own credibility. Anytime anyone says something negative, it's "Beale Street This" this" & "Downtown" that". If it's between kicking puppies and being foolishly in denial on City-Data for the same gratifying effect, please stay with us.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
No. They're people who simply see and respond to things differently than you do.
How about that? Some people cannot grasp this simple point and continue on blindly with the fervor of a tent revival shill.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Well, I find it ironic that Kool-Aid drinkers accuse others of pointing out problems while they wallow in denial, looking for a tiny pearl in 600 sq. miles of rancid oysters, trying to create a perception of that all is well, when clearly that is not the case. .
Oh goat boy, that's just you again, taking my own points, masquerading them as your own and trying to pass them off on other users. You mock my points & humor nearly every post because you have nothing of your own except your own vile personality. I see you trying to aim at outside posters and even they have called you out, running away from the stench of poopoo. We understand 90% of Memphis is MadMax Beyond Thunder Dome and Mud-Island has termites. We get it. Be a grown up, don't force people to listen to your filth when all but a few trolls reject you or just flee because of not wanting to respond to your negative, unsubstantial posts.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM

201 posts, read 635,334 times
Quote:
No. They're people who simply see and respond to things differently than you do, and you--and folks like you--can't deal with differences of opinion without name-calling.

Not everyone has to see things the way you do. You--and folks like you--could simply ignore them, but clearly you--and folks like you--like arguing with them too much.

THAT is really the locus of the problem indeed.

What I have discovered through the years, over and over is that most true Memphians (locals, natives, et al) actually DO expect others including transplants and the like to 'see things EXACTLY' as they do.

Therein lies the sickness. Heck, I don't 'expect' unanimity of opinion/experience about Memphis or any other city in which I live. That's foolish.

There is, however a 'sense' of some strange brand of 'obligation' to ignore the glaring deficiencies of Memphis...unlike ANY where else I live or have lived in my entire life.....so be it.....but I have no 'obligation' to be 'slient', 'compliant', or any thing else with respect to my own observations and opinions that are shaped by individual perceptions...divergent ones.

If you don't capitulate, then something must be 'wrong' with YOU ....
That sort of attitude is indicative of greater problems within Memphis.

The retort is mostly always an effort to personally discredit- name-calling, labeling, etc, which tends to make the 'bomb-thrower' and name caller look rather stupid.

No one really needs to be 'required' to defend opinions based and shaped on individual experiences and knowledge...that too is rather stupid it seems.

Opinions aren't factual all the time....but they certainly can be.

Funny thing is that I could not care less if someoen else's opinion buttresses my own opinion, or my own set of experiences shaped by many years. That's foolish as well.

If you really believe that Memphis, TN is a fine, progressive, thoughtful, dynamic, first-rate city that is leading the way nationally with respect to a host of metrics, then fine......good for you....in fact, god bless you.....similarly if you believe Memphis, TN is a cesspool by comparison(s), that's fine too....I don't care...god bless you too

No one should be interested in recruiting to any particular side, 'camp' or point of view....who cares ?

However if a poster asks a question or wants information about Memphis, TN or any other city, everyone has the privilege of speaking frankly about their own point of view, without 'getting permission' from the self-appointed, self-aggrandizing, 'keepers of the Faith', ...for fear of a personal attack....

However if you choose to 'personally attack' this writer, again, lol, I could not care less because my own experience/opinion is just or even more valid than yours in my own head , and replicated in my own written opinions here, and many other places..

For one, the writer is not in the business of convincing anyone about 'stuff' about Memphis......after almost two decades of solid comparative experience, I have, along with others who have spent years upon years living in and/or traveling to Memphis, TN, have certainly earned the right to express individual opinions.......and no one has to 'like' them...

That is plainly, very stupid..

BTW, no one is 'forced' to 'listen' to what you might consider 'poo-poo' either, if you hate what is being articulated by another poster, resorting to name-calling does not work..in fact the result seems counterproductive.....

I have noticed that most anytime on any forum about Memphis, a strange thing occurs : if a poster expresses a marginally negative opinion, or essentially criticizes Memphis life, politics, culture etc, that poster is immediately called a 'troll'.....lol which is a defense mechanism it seems....and is unnecessary...

People have postive things to say about Memphis, TN, and lots of people have NEGATIVE things to say about Memphis, TN

SO WHAT ? By comparison, I , too, think Memphis' negatives far outweigh the positives.....by a LONG SHOT

Last edited by weisenheist; 08-03-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Oh goat boy, that's just you again, taking my own points,
In other words, the food of messages doesn't taste as good when eaten while looking in the mirror, is that what you are saying? Obviously you don't like the feeling of having your own words tossed back at you, do you Johnny boy? You have the line of sight of a fundamentalist religious whack, did you know that?

I see things very clearly, I voice my opinion about what I see and there is nothing that you can do about it.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
In other words, the food of messages doesn't taste as good when eaten while looking in the mirror, is that what you are saying? Obviously you don't like the feeling of having your own words tossed back at you, do you Johnny boy? You have the line of sight of a fundamentalist religious whack, did you know that?

I see things very clearly, I voice my opinion about what I see and there is nothing that you can do about it.
REPOST:

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM

More Irony:

Just walked by someone's computer and the screen saver read:

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM

13,340 posts, read 39,826,202 times
From the Terms of Service:

All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.

This thread definitely falls into the category of a thread that has degenerated into a flame war. Time to shut it down and move on.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis