Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:31 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Bellevue Baptist (Fort God) dominates life in Cordova. It may have more gays, but they are the blue collar types living in apartment complexes, not the established neighborhoods of Cordova.
Good point but I don't think it reflects the overall religious/social acceptance of Cordova residents. At least it doesn't for me. I just have a hard time that those living in established neighborhoods in Gtown will be more open to it. These are the folks sending their kids to Briarcrest, ECS, etc.

OP - I'd stick to midtown, east Memphis or downtown. Actaully, east Memphis would be my first choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 12:40 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I think in most places besides Midtown and downtown, particularly in the burbs, they raise eyebrows with extroverted behaviors of any kind, any sexuality. I've never really seen too much unrestrained expressions in the burbs of the straight kind, except from teens, and I sense that if gays express themselves similarly, it wouldn't be too much different. Obviously there will be some exceptions.
I knew a gay guy in Germantown that owned a flower shop. People would make comments behind his back, but he seemed to fit in fine socially. I knew another guy that was very feminine and was an interior decorator, but he was married and had kids. Nobody ever made comments about him.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:13 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
THe Memphis area, well basically the whole midsouth/south, is still very anti-gay overall, mainly due to the predominance of southern baptists and overall very religious people here. Although I personally haven't heard/seen too many overt anti-gay people or comments made, I have seen many people, including friends, who act astonished by gay people like they are watching zoo animals. It's like something people think only happens in movies. Very strange.

I think also it has to do with the large amount of uneducated and poor people here...these are people without culture, who haven't traveled, don't really understand lifestyles other than their own, and are the most homophobic from what I have experienced.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 33,441 times
I think that it really depends on where you are coming from. If you're not from the south, then I don't think that you'd think that any of the burbs are gay-friendly. Midtown would be your best bet. However if you're used to the general conversative nature of the south, then I think that you'd find the burbs more palatable.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
No part of the city or the region is very welcoming of gays. At least that's what my gay friends tell me. Again, there are individual neighborhoods that are ok with gay people, but it is a simple, fundamental untruth that Midtown/Downtown, Cordova, Germantown, or any other section of town is overtly welcoming of gays and lesbians.

Memphis is still in the South. Our liberals wouldn't even make good moderates in other parts of the country.

I think you would do just fine here, but I don't want you to think your sexual orientation will be overlooked simply because you opt for a certain part of town. It won't.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,357 times
Default Have to agree with strumpeace

Sadly, I think strumpeace is absolutely right. While there are certainly small pockets of Memphis (Cooper-Young, Downtown) where a gay person would be more comfortable than others, as a whole, Memphis and its surrounding communities is not gay-friendly.

And I'm astounded that ANYONE would tell you that Germantown is accepting of gays. I live in Germantown myself and it would be one of the LAST places I would think an openly gay person would want to live. Granted, it's an upscale, pretty suburb with beautiful, expensive homes but if you're not white, married, with three kids in a private school and drive a Chevy Suburban, you're gonna stick out. Germantown is barely tolerant of Democrats, let alone gays (last election, someone ripped my Kerry/Edwards lawn sign -- one of the few for miles around -- out of the ground and raked the tines all over my yard, ruining my lawn).

Old 09-01-2007, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 16,317 times
Germantown is very family friendly... not exactly the most happenin' gay scene. Midtown is great, and i'm not gay, i just love, love, love Midtown. Cooper-Young is a fantastic place, great, unique restaurants, shops, etc. Also just FYI, the homes in Midtown have such character... mostly older homes that are just exquisite. Some of the most beautiful older homes are in this area. Germantown homes seem to follow a pattern of BIG, similarly laid out, and lacking a lot of that character that Midtown homes have. Check it out. Also, there's the Cooper-Young Festival every Fall... its a lot of fun. Very open to homosexuality in this part of town.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 27,213 times
Check out Eureka Springs Arkansas..it now has gay marriages for 35.00. The license is called domestic partnerships. This is suppose to be the next Key West or San Fransico.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:08 AM

87 posts, read 342,432 times
"Memphis is still in the South. Our liberals wouldn't even make good moderates in other parts of the country."

I will be moving to Memphis from Pennsylvania. I have always considered myself somewhat liberal. I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers when I get to Memphis.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
There's not a problem with any of this stuff here. People aren't standing in their front lawns, screaming liberals ideals or burning crosses in the lawns of people who sin. As in any, ANY city in this country, if you go spouting off your beliefs to the people in line with you at the grocery store, you're gonig to run into some problems. Common sense and social skills dictate that you keep your opinions to yourself when at work, in public, etc. When you're with your friends and you want to talk about politics, religion, etc then that's FINE but usually you make friends with those people who share your same ideals therefore it's not a problem.

Just because overall people in Memphis and the south are not as liberal as those in other parts of the nation, that does not mean people here are throwing Bibles at you and berating complete strangers on the street. It's a large city that happens to have conservative ideals. But unless you're blabbing your ideals to strangers, how would anyone know what you think? Or how would you know what they think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: