Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellist View Post
"Memphis is still in the South. Our liberals wouldn't even make good moderates in other parts of the country."

I will be moving to Memphis from Pennsylvania. I have always considered myself somewhat liberal. I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers when I get to Memphis.
There are a number of stringent liberals, perhaps even bleeding hearts, that make Memphis home. Just like the other side of the spectrum exists.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 03:37 AM

430 posts, read 1,393,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
THe Memphis area, well basically the whole midsouth/south, is still very anti-gay overall, mainly due to the predominance of southern baptists and overall very religious people here. Although I personally haven't heard/seen too many overt anti-gay people or comments made, I have seen many people, including friends, who act astonished by gay people like they are watching zoo animals. It's like something people think only happens in movies. Very strange.

I think also it has to do with the large amount of uneducated and poor people here...these are people without culture, who haven't traveled, don't really understand lifestyles other than their own, and are the most homophobic from what I have experienced.
Well, the latter have their own culture(s), -with good and bad. A lot of poor and less educated people actualy do travel, -just not as much on average as the well to do and better educated. So on average, yes. But it depends on the person.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 23,302 times
Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I am new in Memphis and looking to purchase a house. A forum contributor wrote that Midtown is gay friendly. My question is: Is Germantown gay friendly as well ? My partner and I are aiming to purchase a house in Germantown and would like to hear your opinion please.
Gay-friendly is not the first phrase that comes to mind when I think of Germantown. Germantown is an affluent, conservative community with gigantic Baptist churches. Midtown has a thriving gay community. In most of the suburbs, I think it would depend on who your neighbors are. As with anywhere, some people are more tolerant than others.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 22,795 times
This made me think back ...many years on Midtown, <smiles>......ahhhhhh.......

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 9,682 times
Midtown is a great place to live and have a great night.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM

13 posts, read 122,212 times
Whats gay friendly?
Watching you tounge lock your partner at McDonalds?
People Burning crosses in your yard when they find out your gay?
There is very little openly gay activity in the city. However people do not seem to care as long as your not forcing it on people.
That reminds me the time I was got stuck in a gay parade. "Go home breeder" "This is our parade". i thought to myself , and I'm the bigot? I just made a wrong turn.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 9,716 times
I’m a young gay professional that is not originally from Memphis but moved here for college, I lived in Midtown while in college, now presently moved to Dtown (Mud Island)..... most definitely the 38104 zip/Midtown (which btw is the gayest zip code in the states) will be the most tolerant, but there are still tolerant neighborhood outside of Midtown, such as:
-Chickasaw Gardens
-South Bluff
-Mud Island
-High Point Terrace

I definitely wouldn’t suggest moving to Germantown; unfortunately in this city economic status is not directly correlated with educational level. Stay with the 240 loop.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM

12 posts, read 37,527 times
I am proud to call Germantown home. I do not know if it is gay freindly but it is certainly gay tolerent. I can not remember G'town ever hosting a "leather Ball" , but I never had any hostile neighbors with reguards to my sexuallity. One of my neighbors is less then friendly, but she hates my dog. I believe that as long as you maintain house, home, and property, most of Germantown would enjoy having you as a gaybor.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 PM

19 posts, read 30,844 times
Germantown isn't as Republican as everyone thinks. I read something that said that Germantown had the second highest percentage of Democrats in TN after Memphis.

And please don't assume that all wealthy suburban ppl are all conservatives. Think about all the old-money Mainline Protestant (Episcopals, Presbyterians, and to a lesser extent, Methodists) in Memphis. These are very prominent families- the types that send their kids to MUS and Hutchison. Most of them are fiscally conservative, but when it comes to social issues, their churches are pretty liberal. The Southern Baptist influence, IMO, is mostly among the middle and working classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: