Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 8,881 times

Advertisements

I am new in Memphis and looking to purchase a house. A forum contributor wrote that Midtown is gay friendly. My question is: Is Germantown gay friendly as well ? My partner and I are aiming to purchase a house in Germantown and would like to hear your opinion please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
I've been told that there's a sizable gay community in Germantown. Cooper-Young and the area across Trezavant/E Parkway from Hein Park (both are in Midtown) are probably the best known gay-friendly neighborhoods.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM

232 posts, read 795,875 times
From what I understand, Cordova has a rather large gay community as well.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
I would definitely believe that.

BTW, gays and lesbians in the Cooper-Young area are often cited as a major reason for the area's resurgence and the increase in property value. I read a study some time back about that happening in cities across the nation.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,543 times
I'd think Cordova has a higher percentage of same sex households than Germantown. Not to get political...but Gtown is still primarily conservative, evangelical republican (if that matters to you).

Old 07-20-2007, 04:24 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I am new in Memphis and looking to purchase a house. A forum contributor wrote that Midtown is gay friendly. My question is: Is Germantown gay friendly as well ? My partner and I are aiming to purchase a house in Germantown and would like to hear your opinion please.
Germantown is a very conservative community, but it is well educated and is somewhat gay friendly. You'll never run into any overt discrimination, but a significant portion of the people that live there will be bothered by you. But a lot of people will not care and won't treat you any differently. In Midtown and Downtown, nobody cares.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:26 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
I'd think Cordova has a higher percentage of same sex households than Germantown. Not to get political...but Gtown is still primarily conservative, evangelical republican (if that matters to you).
Bellevue Baptist (Fort God) dominates life in Cordova. It may have more gays, but they are the blue collar types living in apartment complexes, not the established neighborhoods of Cordova.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,973 times
I think in most places besides Midtown and downtown, particularly in the burbs, they raise eyebrows with extroverted behaviors of any kind, any sexuality. I've never really seen too much unrestrained expressions in the burbs of the straight kind, except from teens, and I sense that if gays express themselves similarly, it wouldn't be too much different. Obviously there will be some exceptions.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM

232 posts, read 795,875 times
Well, I say Cordova because my girlfriend has a lot of gay friends and most of them live in Cordova. Most of them do live in apartments.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:01 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
Midtown is the main area where (as it should) being gay is just like wearing blue jeans, having blonde hair, brown eyes, or any other characterisic that no one thinks twice about. Downtown is also pretty urban, but lacks the hippie-esque free spirit character of midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: