Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM

47 posts, read 295,962 times

Advertisements

I have one question: are there any areas in the metro Memphis area that are DECENT? I have yet to hear anyone say anything positive in response to the area. I have family in different parts of Memphis and all but one live in fairly decent areas but I guess I can't really go by that anymore since it has been 15 years since I've visited (LOL). Everyone's opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 PM

113 posts, read 529,548 times
I have my disgust with the decline of a lot of the city of Memphis. But, I still do not like to bash the area. Only change can make it better. If the city keeps catering to the masses of citizens who will not do better for themselves, then we can not move forward.

With that said, it all depends on your price range. Also, do you have children? If you decide to live in the metro area, you will have to research the schools surrounding it. Most people feel more comfortable with a private education.

There are many beautiful homes in Mid-town, East, and Downtown Memphis. Now keep in mind, for the "safer areas" you will pay dearly. If you are in that bracket of income, then it will be no problem.

Memphis has some gorgeous areas and wonderful architecture. It all depends on your preferences in a neighborhood.

Let me know if you would like any other info. I would be a happy to help.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,253 times
Unhappy Moving to Memphis

Hi everyone!

I would like someone to help my husband and I out. We are looking at a transfer for his job from southern Oklahoma to Memphis. BUT from what we have been reading and seeing we may not want to transfer. We have both been looking at a multitude of websites about anything and everything.

We have 4 teenagers and need some good ideas for schools. Along those lines what about date rapes? What about teen traffic fatalities? What about gangs? This terrifies me to read what several have said about moving a family to Memphis.

What about all the murders that have happened this year alone in Memphis? Is there a cultural riff?

Where is a good area there to live since so many have said the suburbs are getting worse?

What is the local government doing to reduce crime in Memphis so they get off the "Most Dangerous City Listing" listed number 4 from what I have seen.

What about the state of the schools? I hear they are abysimal.

Just food for thought I would be praising the city in which I lived in. I would be encouraging people to move there because they are bringing more money into the area.

From everything we have read on this site alone we are tossed up about moving there.

Thanks,
C5

Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 AM

113 posts, read 529,548 times
To escape any of the issues you are worried about, you would probably be very happy in the suburbs. Bartlett, Arlington, or even Tipton County sound like areas you would be happy in. Try looking up those areas on line, I think you will find them appealing. I have family in all those areas, and my son attends school at a private school near Tipton County. We actually live in Millington. I have never felt unsafe in any of those areas. Where I have felt uneasy, is in a part of town that it would not a brain surgeon to figure out you are in a bad area.

See if you like this: www.tiptonco.com

Send me an email, just go to the profile area, and I have it disclosed. I have a son who is 7 and I know how important your child's safety is. I would be happy to give you any other info you may need.

Happy Hunting~
Michelle

Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 AM

47 posts, read 295,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMichelle View Post
I have my disgust with the decline of a lot of the city of Memphis. But, I still do not like to bash the area. Only change can make it better. If the city keeps catering to the masses of citizens who will not do better for themselves, then we can not move forward.

With that said, it all depends on your price range. Also, do you have children? If you decide to live in the metro area, you will have to research the schools surrounding it. Most people feel more comfortable with a private education.

There are many beautiful homes in Mid-town, East, and Downtown Memphis. Now keep in mind, for the "safer areas" you will pay dearly. If you are in that bracket of income, then it will be no problem.

Memphis has some gorgeous areas and wonderful architecture. It all depends on your preferences in a neighborhood.

Let me know if you would like any other info. I would be a happy to help.

Thanks for the info MrsMichelle...and I would be willing to pay dearly to live in the 'safer areas'. I grew up in the inner-city of Indianapolis but I graduated from high school and college with a 3.7 GPA and have a wonderful job in the banking area and I have made sure that my children (ages 13 and 7) have grown up away from the inner city and I want to make sure that it stays that way. I will be sure to do more research on the suburbs of Memphis as well as the East side and Midtown. I'm not sure if I want to live downtown though but I will be sure to check this area out as well. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 AM

25 posts, read 181,256 times
There are plenty of decent areas.

I grew up in Highpoint Terrace neighborhood - it is still great and a safe area.

The entire area from highland going east on walnut grove to germantown parkway and beyond is a safe and nice area.

Many areas around the University of Memphis going east on poplar.

Bartlett in general, Germantown, Mississippi suburbs.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,238 times
Default Outside the city only.

I moved from Memphis to Tipton County about 12 years ago. It's an hour drive in and out every day, and worth every bit of it. Reasonable (for now) housing, small towns, good schools, low taxes. Close enough to Memphis that you can work there and go to the zoo or parks, but far enough out to avoid the gangs, crime, high taxes.

There are good areas in Shelby county - in the areas listed in other posts. Check out Tipton County and North Mississippi

Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 AM

50 posts, read 122,155 times
Ms Indy:

I accepted a job in banking in Memphis a few years ago....lived in Germantown...My family has lived all over the nation, I prefer to live on the beach with reasonably intelligent people. As a senior executive being able to 'live above' the junk in the area, I still found the area WAY behind the curve...in education...food and entertainment....culture...diversity...race relations....we found the city antiSemitic and racist compared to many many other cities. I told my wife that there was NO WAY for me to have children growing up in this type of surrounding....I mean you can insulate yourself to some degree, but this town is overrun by undereducated folks that have migrated from the State of Mississippi (the poorest state in the Union), and the State of Arkansas (not much behind)....it has nothing in common with Nashville or even Knoxville. Good luck, but that's my experience and opinion

Old 09-20-2006, 11:36 AM

50 posts, read 122,155 times
Also...think of Germantown as maybe a Zionsville, or maybe Carmel....if you get my drift

Old 10-19-2006, 05:01 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeisterMan View Post
I accepted a job in banking in Memphis a few years ago....lived in Germantown...My family has lived all over the nation, I prefer to live on the beach with reasonably intelligent people. As a senior executive being able to 'live above' the junk in the area,
I'm no fan of Memphis either but, dude, what is with you? Do you have any idea how your posts come across as?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis