Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 20,272 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from CA to the area this summer. Our main cocnern is with transferring our high school age son (9th grade) We are going to be choosing a house in either Collierville high or Houston high District. There is much academic and socioeconomic info on the webistes, but I am trying to get a flavor for the "personalities" of each school to see which would be the best fit. The intangibles you cannot get on webpages. My son is an athlete so that will also be part of the decision. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,542 times
I have a child at CHS. They are both great schools, and I would say personalities are very similar. Academics are similar, the band program and some athletics are bigger/better at Houston. CHS has rated in the top 1000 in the country for the past 3 years, and I believe Houston has for one. CHS's principal was named TN High School principal of the year this year, the administration is very strong and caring. It's a very large school, but if your child is in athletics, he should not have a problem fitting in. If you have any specific questions, please PM me. I'd be happy to answer anything especially about CHS, I'm pretty involved, and on the PTSA board. Good luck in your move.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,922 times
I will echo what ColliervilleMom said. Both schools are very similar, and you can't go wrong sending your son to either one. These two schools are big rivals in athletics.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 AM

28 posts, read 65,853 times
Kids from Houston seem to have more interaction with other students in Memphis. Collierville High's student body seems to be a little more self-contained, but a lot of this is purely geographical. Houston might be a tad "preppier," at least judging by people I know who went there. But overall, they are pretty similar. These are just my observations. I also have a cousin who is about to start Collierville Middle School, FWIW.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:47 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Kids from Houston seem to have more interaction with other students in Memphis. Collierville High's student body seems to be a little more self-contained, but a lot of this is purely geographical. Houston might be a tad "preppier," at least judging by people I know who went there. But overall, they are pretty similar. These are just my observations. I also have a cousin who is about to start Collierville Middle School, FWIW.
Yes, totally agree about the prepiness, as well as CHS sticking more to Collierville.

Just a note, when I was a kid, preppie was a way of dressing, khaki and izod shirts. Now, it's popular kids who are 'preppie'.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:47 AM

16 posts, read 56,078 times
Who cares about "preppiness" and looks and such; its about education. Of these, go with Collierville, but if you are choosing where to live in this area based on Shelby County puplic schools, you should look at Germantown.

Blue Ribbon School award from the United States Department of Education and an officially declared International Baccalaureate school. As of now, Germantown High School is one of only three IB schools in Tennessee, and the second one in Shelby County. The other being Bolton High School in Arlington.

Germantown is also high in most top athletics programs including cheer leading.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charper1 View Post
Who cares about "preppiness" and looks and such; its about education. Of these, go with Collierville, but if you are choosing where to live in this area based on Shelby County puplic schools, you should look at Germantown.

Blue Ribbon School award from the United States Department of Education and an officially declared International Baccalaureate school. As of now, Germantown High School is one of only three IB schools in Tennessee, and the second one in Shelby County. The other being Bolton High School in Arlington.

Germantown is also high in most top athletics programs including cheer leading.
She asked about the personalities of each school. If she has the opportunity to choose a school that "fits" the best, however marginal the differences might be, then why not?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:54 PM

209 posts, read 460,017 times
Houston high may be better.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM

16 posts, read 56,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
She asked about the personalities of each school. If she has the opportunity to choose a school that "fits" the best, however marginal the differences might be, then why not?
Because in reality it should always begin and end with the education; with a side of personality; not the other way around. Get a great education 1st and foremost! Sadly in American we have forgotten this and well....... just look around.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:14 PM

I'd imagine the difference between both schools academics is largely nil though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis