U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,370 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are looking to get away from memphis for the weekend, we want to go somewhere not too far. (Nashville is too far this time.) We were looking at either little rock, AR or Jackson, TN. I can't find any high rated hotels or anything to do really in Jackson, TN so I doubt we will end up there. I was wondering what other places that aren't too far away would be good places to go with nice hotels, a pleasant atmosphere and good shopping.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,693,977 times
Nashville is too far away and not Jackson.

I want to say go hang out in the Memphis suburbs.

You could go hang out in Tunica, but I don't know about shopping opportunities down there.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 PM

738 posts, read 2,457,216 times
If it were me...I'd suck it up and go to Nashville. So worth the extra little bit of driving!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,045,654 times
Little Rock has some cool stuff to do -- but not much shopping. Memphis has better shopping than Little Rock. If you go to LR, visit the River Market and the Clinton Museum. Drive an extra hour to Petit Jean State Park for some great natural scenery.

Jackson TN -- Goodness. I'm a native Jacksonian and absolutely love Jackson. But it's not really a weekend destination unless you live way out in the sticks and are totally deprived of culture and shopping. Jackson has the same chain stores that other towns of 60,000 have; entertainment options are extremely limited.

If you're willing to trek 3.5 hours to Nashville, how about adding one more hour onto your trip and going to St. Louis? I would say shopping and cultural/entertainment options are much better in St. Louis than in Nashville. That's just my opinion, but I bet it's one many native West Tennesseans who are familiar with both cities would share.

Have fun wherever you go!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 PM

441 posts, read 1,442,923 times
What kind of things do you like and what do you want to do when you get there? That would help to know. That aside, I'll take a few stabs at it -

For a weekend of fun, jump on the Amtrak City of New Orleans train and go on down for a couple days to the Land Of Dreams better known as the French Quarter. Enjoy Bourbon Street et al. There's a whole scene down there you could easily learn to love. Leave Mempho Saturday morning early and return late Sunday. And be sure to hit Pat O'Brien's piano bar for me (there're lots of u-tube vids taken there).

And behind this door, try Hot Springs. Lots of natural beauty, good eats and enough to do for a couple days. Personally however, I'd wait til the racing season's on at Oaklawn for that. A better rueben sandwich you'll never find.

And lastly, give some thought to the Space Center at Huntsville, Alabama.

Now, on the other hand, if y'all are the outdoors type, there's no end of nearby places. Upon request, we can do some recommendations for fishing or hiking or canoeing.

I'm afraid I have to agree on skipping Jackson. I haven't lived there but I used to go there on business frequently. Real nice town and I think a decent place to live, but probably not a vacation paradise. And Nashville - that's harder to say.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,148,045 times
St. Louis is only 4 & 1/2 hours away and a very easy drive. If shopping is your main priority, there's more shopping options there than any other cities close to Memphis. Nashville is overrated to me, but it would be my second choice. Memphis people seem to love going there for some reason. I wouldn't even bother with Jackson or Little Rock, but if those are your only two options, definitely go with Little Rock.

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-20-2011 at 02:00 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 AM

3,371 posts, read 12,792,974 times
Nashville has some great shopping and is close enough for a weekend trip. I personally like St Louis more, but it's a little further away; to me StL would be more like a 3-day weekend trip.

But if Nashville is too far for you....I'm not sure where else you could go. Definitely not Jackson. If you had to pick between that and LR, pick LR for sure. Frankly if you live here in Memphis and are looking for good shopping but don't want to drive more than an hour or two, you might want to just stay here.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,148,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Nashville has some great shopping and is close enough for a weekend trip. I personally like St Louis more, but it's a little further away; to me StL would be more like a 3-day weekend trip.

But if Nashville is too far for you....I'm not sure where else you could go. Definitely not Jackson. If you had to pick between that and LR, pick LR for sure. Frankly if you live here in Memphis and are looking for good shopping but don't want to drive more than an hour or two, you might want to just stay here.
Exactly. If my only options were Little Rock and Jackson, I'd just stay in Memphis and find stuff to do. There's a lot more to do here than those places.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 AM

73 posts, read 217,152 times
hop a cheap plane ride to Atlanta, and really go shopping around Buckhead, etc, with great hotels too

hop a cheap flight to Dallas...ditto...great shopping

heck, you could probably get a fairly cheap Airtran to Tampa...hang out on Harbor Island or channelside, and Soho

Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 AM

3,371 posts, read 12,792,974 times
Cheap flights from Memphis? That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis