U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 PM

39 posts, read 175,107 times

Advertisements

Hi! I just got a teaching job with Memphis city schools and I have to move fast! All of the apartments on Rent.com, Aparmentfinders.com, etc. are very expensive in the areas that I was informed are safe (Germantown, Cordova, North Misisissippi, etc.) ... it's especially difficult because I have two dogs that are over 25 lbs, which some apartments feel gives them the right to extort ridiculous sums of money for ... any advice?! Are there free apartment locator services in Memphis that will do all this work for me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 03:17 PM

3,371 posts, read 12,785,219 times
Charging a pet fee is common all over, not just Memphis. I don't think I've lived in an apt anywhere that didn't have some sort of pet fee or deposit, so just plan on paying that.

Unfortunately, you pay for safety here, so clean apts in safe areas will cost you more. What is your budget? What area do you want to live in, if you could choose anywhere? Cordova has the most apts probably, generally speaking. Mud Island. You could easily rent a duplex in Midtown, and you'd pay less and be able to have your dogs.

Look at apartmentguide.com too. There are apt locators here (I think they are just called Apartment Locators) that are free, I think. I know I've seen an office out off Gtown Rd, going towards shelby farms. Just search in the yellow pages.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM

79 posts, read 409,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maowkss View Post
Hi! I just got a teaching job with Memphis city schools and I have to move fast! All of the apartments on Rent.com, Aparmentfinders.com, etc. are very expensive in the areas that I was informed are safe (Germantown, Cordova, North Misisissippi, etc.) ... it's especially difficult because I have two dogs that are over 25 lbs, which some apartments feel gives them the right to extort ridiculous sums of money for ... any advice?! Are there free apartment locator services in Memphis that will do all this work for me?
What section of the city is your teaching position located? Not all of the city of Memphis is dangerous. I live in the middle of the city and have never been the victim of any type of crime. By the way, Cordova is going down the crapper and so is much of the white flight areas of DeSoto County (Horn Lake, Southaven). Don't blindly listen to all the Memphis-hate that goes on here.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,041,591 times
And don't blindly listen to the hypocritical dishonest Cordova hate that goes on here, either.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM

79 posts, read 409,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
And don't blindly listen to the hypocritical dishonest Cordova hate that goes on here, either.
People can't get out of Cordova fast enough. I think it is silly, but it is true.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
People can't get out of Cordova fast enough. I think it is silly, but it is true.
No, it's not. It's a myth, and it's being perpetuated by you and people like you. Yes, there are homes for sale in Cordova -- I see 'for sale' signs all the time. I also see lots and lots of 'for sale' signs in other, more beloved, parts of Memphis all the time. Simple fact is Cordova is growing in population. Literally hundreds of houses are being built to accommodate the growth. A quick drive down Dexter, Appling, or Whitten would make that point very clear.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 PM

Maybe it's a different type of people that are moving there now? As in, the people who have lived there for decades are the ones who no longer like it and are moving out, but then there is an influx of new people who want to live there?

Old 08-06-2007, 02:23 PM

774 posts, read 2,470,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Maybe it's a different type of people that are moving there now? As in, the people who have lived there for decades are the ones who no longer like it and are moving out, but then there is an influx of new people who want to live there?

I think this is likely the case. My parents have lived out there since Germantown Pkwy was a two-lane country road. The monstrosity of shopping centers that's out at Hwy 64 and Germantown was once the site of cow pastures. They loved it out there then. Now, they are seriously considering moving. Their hesitaiton is in whether to move elsewhere in this area now or to wait another year when they retire and move to another area of the country. Of the people I know who are yearning to move from Cordova, most are of the mindset that it was ruined by being developed heavily. Of course, a lot of people think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. More power to them, but I wouldn't be one of them.

Last edited by tigergal; 08-06-2007 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: edited for typo

Old 08-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Absolutely a 'different type of people' are moving to Cordova now. Just as with other parts of the city, a phenomenon known crassly as 'invasion and succession' is happening in Cordova.

What irritates me is that just because black people and lower-middle class families are moving in automatically means that an area is 'is going down the crapper'. You guys use code language way too much.

Personally, I don't think Cordova is great. I don't think it's bad, either. It is what it is.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 PM

I honestly had no clue that young black people were the people moving to Cordova now. My ideas on it had nothing to do with that. I don't understand why everything gets turned into a "you obviously hate black people" thing. Just because someone doesn't like Cordova? They are afraid of black people moving there? It's like talking to Herenton!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: