Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 AM

155 posts, read 233,936 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been lurking city-data and this sub forum for well over a year now anticipating our potential move to Memphis. After a long process of narrowing down our options we’ve decided on Memphis, we’re excited with the choice and looking forward to everything the area has to offer. We will be making the move from Europe to Memphis in late 2011.

During the past year I’ve done extensive research on Memphis and the surrounding areas, leading me to feel comfortable about the move despite the many negative posts on the forum. Life is what you make of it, positive people can thrive anywhere. I’d like to ask people to keep the negativity out of this thread, let’s use this thread as a place to share knowledge on what Memphis and the surrounding area has to offer.

My wife and I have a wide variety of interests and are looking forward to take advantage of the Memphis to settle down and explore our interests.
Before diving into everything, let me first apologize for such a long post! Now, let me share a little bit about our background so you can get a general idea of where we are coming from. My wife and I are both in our mid-late 20s. I'm from the DC Suburbs of Maryland and my wife is from Greece.

We’ve been living in Western Europe for the past few years and are ready to move on to the next chapter. My wife has lived in the US before for the short period of 6 months and has been numerous times to visit my family. It won’t be a complete culture shock for her, though I think we will have it a bit after being away from the US. Not to mention moving to the South, of which we both have little experience with, though we are open and not set in our ways. FYI, I haven’t been to Memphis, or TN for that matter.

We’ve traveled extensively and are well aware that no place is perfect. Growing up in the DC Suburbs I was bombarded with crime on the news on a daily basis, I know most crime is gang related and restricted to certain portions of town. I’m not too concerned with Memphis as long as we’re living in one of the many safer areas of town I’m sure we’ll be fine.

Now back on topic, I have many questions, some may have been covered in previous threads, others I haven’t come across. I apologize in advance if I’m asking the same old questions, though I will try to avoid doing so unless I’m looking for an update. As you know many of the threads are dated and areas of the city change overtime.

I’ll try to structure the thread with the general topic highlighted in bold, followed by questions pertaining to the topic. I’ll add as much as I can think of and will likely add many more overtime! If people could respond with the question followed by the answer it will keep things organized and easier to follow. Please feel free to provide links to other city-data posts and/or external links as you see fit.

I highly encourage anyone else who would like to participate by asking their own questions. While some of the questions I have are more personalized, most are generic and may be of interest to anyone. Let’s make this a destination thread for all things Memphis, ranging from daily live, housing, neighborhoods, recreational activities, road trips, etc.

Sports / Outdoor Activities

1. I enjoy playing table tennis, are there any places in town where you can play with like minded people? Where I'm from in the US we have a few table tennis centers spread out across the state where you can play with other serious players. I'm open to recreation level play as well; any suggestions on where one can find other people to play are welcome.

2. In addition to table tennis, I enjoy soccer. Are there any recreation leagues one can join? Places you go for a ‘pick-up’ game? Though I’d probably prefer the league!

3. Are there any mini-golf/putt-putt places in Memphis or the surrounding areas?

4. Are there any go-kart places?

5. Could you please list the amusement parks that are within a few hour range of Memphis. Please specify the distance/time from Memphis and give a few thoughts on the park. Keep in mind we like extreme thrill rides, roller coasters, water park type rides the best! List them all, even if a decent drive away.

6. What’s the public pool situation in Memphis/surrounding areas. How much do they cost to enter? What about a membership? Would you recommend going to them? Is there a specific one better than the rest?

7. We’re not big sport fans by any means, but perhaps we’ll catch a few games for the sake of experience while we’re there. I understand there is NBA/Minor league baseball. How much do tickets run for those?

8. Any special tours of X, Y, or Z? I can’t think of anything, but maybe there is something unique worth checking out.

9. Any other activity that may be of interest to us please feel free to mention.

Great Outdoors / Hiking / Trips

This is a big one for us, we love exploring nature, forests, rivers, lakes, parks, hiking, etc.

I have in progress an ever growing list of places to visit in Memphis and the surrounding areas, but would like to consolidate it all here. I’d love to hear all the suggestions, please try to break it down by the distance/time from Memphis. If you could include a brief description of the type of activities available at the location that would be great! We’re interested in just about everything, hiking, fishing, boating (kayak/canoe/rental boat), swimming, white water rafting, etc.

Please remember that we don’t mind traveling for a nice long weekend a few hours away. Don’t limit this to TN, surrounding states are just as welcome.
Here are some other points of interest, if any of the parks have any of these, please make a note or suggestion where I can find it.

1. Where can I find a good swimming location? Can you find clear blue water anywhere around here? This certainly isn’t required, but keep in mind my wife is used to the Mediterranean Sea and would love to see some crystal clear blue water.

2. Where is some of the best white water rafting?

3. Are there any zip line places around here?

4. What about caves, are there any worth exploring? I know up in KY they have quite a few massive ones.

5. I’m not even sure what to call this one, but any outdoor obstacle course type things – those can be fun!

Restaurants / Eating Out

1. As I mentioned before my wife is Greek. Any good Greek restaurants in the area?

2. Any specific recommendations for dining / fine dining? Please list the type of cuisine and if fine dining please include the price range.

3. What’s the typical price range for restaurants in Memphis? I’m a bit lost at American prices after living in Europe for a few years, not to mention where I’m living in Western Europe is very expensive to begin with, skewing my views of ‘cheap’.

4. What does a bottle of house wine go for in a restaurant? What about a cocktail?

5. Just out of curiosity, how common is it to card someone when you buy Alcohol in a Store/Bar/Restaurant. In the DC/MD area its pretty standard to get carded everywhere, though I’ve heard it’s much more relaxed down in Memphis, which surprised me and made me happy. After living in Europe where you’re not carded I’m not too fond of being carded anymore! What’s the big deal, right? Haha.

Seasonal Activities

1. I’ve read some information in the past about Halloween Haunted Houses/Corn Maze type places in the Area. Seems like there are quite a few. Any recommendations on the best of the best? As usual, willing to travel a bit if required.

2. What’s recommended on the 4th of July? Best place for fireworks? Any place with fireworks over a lake?

3. Are there any other seasonal activities Memphis has or is known for in particular?

4. I know of Memphis in May. This year is showcasing Belgium if I recall correctly, any word on next year? How do they decide on what the showcase will be each year? While we’re at it, if someone wants to describe the vibe Memphis has in May and what kind of activities go on each year in May, that’d be great! How is Memphis in May being affected this year with the floods?

Road Trips / Day Trips / Travel / Scenic Routes

My time in Europe has been spent without a car. Needless to say, it has had great benefits, but I’ve learned to have a new appreciation for the American way of the Automobile. We’re really looking forward to having one and being able to explore more freely.

1. Any suggestions on scenic routes/roads we should drive simply to enjoy the scenery? As usual, please specify the location and distance/time from Memphis (if it is outside the general area). I’m willing to travel for beautiful locations, though would love to find ones close to home as well.

2. Please list cities/towns/areas worth visiting. Please specify what the area has to offer (scenic views, activities, etc) and the distance/time from Memphis. Please specify if it’s a small town, city, etc. Everything is of interest.

3. Ghost town/abandoned towns/abandoned buildings/areas. I love this kind of stuff, if there are any places worth seeing please do share.

4. Haunted Locations – I’ve read there are quite a few locations worth checking. Any suggestions for the haunted locations? The Creepier the vibe and likely hood of experiencing something, the better! Please make a note if it is unsafe to visit the place at night (when else would you want to go, right?)

5. Any interesting/quirky/unique sights like world's largest X, funny shaped buildings, strange road side attractions, etc that are nearby are certainly of interest!

6. Are there any Native American sites/attractions in the area worth seeing? I’ve read a little bit about the Mounds of Memphis, but that’s about it.

7. Anything else I may have missed, I want to hear it!

Music / Concerts / Live

Both my wife and I are very much into music. We have very eclectic taste dominated by small independent bands, some fairly well known in the music 'underground' others more esoteric. With that said, the one downside about our move is that Memphis simply can’t compete with Europe and the DC/Baltimore/NOVA in terms of music, at least for our tastes.

It seems most of the small obscure acts skip Memphis altogether. However, I’m hopeful things will change as I’ve read things are improving. Certainly not a deal breaker for us, but we do enjoy a good concert.

Please let me know the venues where we’ll likely be able to see the artists that fit our tastes. We mainly go to Metal/Rock concerts, though we’re interested in just about anything. Are there any venues that cater to the obscure/avant-garde bands/electronic?

From the research I’ve done so far I’ve been able to conclude my best chance of seeing something we’d enjoy are the following venues.

• Orpheum Theatre
• New Daisy Theatre
• Hi-Tone Café
• Minglewood Hall

Anyone from the Baltimore/DC Area, I used to frequent a variety of venues including Ottobar, 9:30 Club, Sonar, The Talking Head, Rams Head Live, Black Cat, Jaxx, Thunderdome, Recher Theater Sidebar, etc. Are there any similar venues in Memphis? Specifically enjoy the medium size (500-1000 people) to (150-200) smaller venues that often host the more independent bands I enjoy.

Any good Stand-up comedy venues?

Any other live performances/venues worth mentioning? I’m open to hearing all the suggestions.

Driving/ Auto / Car Related

1. How much does insurance typically run in Memphis? I’ll likely have an older Honda Civic.

2. Can anyone recommend an honest, affordable mechanic?

3. How are the drivers in Memphis? Keep in mind I’m from the DC area. I hear traffic there is a breeze, at least in comparison. I’m looking forward to a short commute time.

4. How do drivers react in the snow/rain?

Daily Life / Cost of Living / Etc

1. What’s considered an average salary in Memphis? Good salary?

2. What are the high speed internet options? Cost/Comparison? I know there are threads on this (and other topics I will mention) but I think they may be a bit out of date, and it will be great to have all these questions in a central location. I think I’m going the Internet only route (no landline/cable), so I want the best possible while not being outrageously expensive.

3. What can I expect cost wise in terms of utilities? I know Summer’s are hot, though we will try to have windows open as long as possible assuming that’s an option. The wife grew up in Greece, with no A/C and prefers it that way. Though I think she’ll have a change of heart when she feels the humidity. Though I want to go without AC as long as possible myself! How common is that? Experiences welcomed.

4. Anyone from the MD/DC/NOVA area that lives in Memphis, I’d love to hear your general thoughts/comparisons on life in Memphis. Please share as much as you can, I really appreciate it.

5. While were at it, if any native Greeks live in Memphis, please share your thoughts as well.

6. How do Floods/storms/tornadoes/snow/etc effect daily life. What about work life? Will a company typically left people off those days paid or what? This is all new to me, not sure how it works.

7. What about power outages, how often do they occur and how long do they last?

8. I’ve read the tap water in Memphis is clean and safe. Thoughts?

9. What grocery stores are available down there? Any one better than the rest? I imagine warehouse retailers exist (Costco)?

10. How are the people you interact with on a regular day at a store/walking on the street/etc. Just curious if there is a pattern in behavior/etc.

11. I don’t want to play on stereotypes, but from what I’ve read is a large portion of the city is ‘uneducated’, basically I’m curious how this portion of the society interacts with the ‘educated’ people. Is there conflict? Do they get along? Like everything else I imagine it goes both ways, but I’m curious about this aspect of life. I suppose everyone is in their own bubble to an extent and this isn’t a big deal, but maybe I’m wrong?

Housing

1. What would you say the average rent is to live in a nice, safe, area of town? Ideally I’d like to keep it under 1,000, if not substantially less. I just don’t know how low is a ‘no go’ area.

2. Could you recommend specific areas/neighborhoods of town that are safe and high elevation (out of flood zone). We’re open to anything, we’re heavily considering Midtown. Recommendations of particular neighborhoods within Midtown would be great. We’re either looking at an apartment complex or house/townhouse.

3. One of my concerns of having a house/townhouse (renting), would be taking car of the lawn. Let’s say we live in house with a small yard. Would the owner of the house provide a lawn mower typically or are we expected to provide that? Would they provide a landscaper to come out and do that house? I’d love my own yard/house, but at this stage I don’t want to invest in lawn mower when we won’t be living there for more than a few years.

4. When you rent a house/apartment how common is it to have all the appliances included (washer/dryer/dishwasher/fridge/etc)? What about utilities? Hoping everything is included, though not too concerned about utilities (just curious).

Social Circles / Friendships

As mentioned earlier we’re both still young and have no connection to the area whatsoever. We’d love to get a few close friends we can share our time with while living in Memphis. What would you say the best way to go about doing that is? I know this is a generic question with no right or wrong answer but if anyone has some practical advice I’d love to hear it.

We’re aiming to feel out our new colleagues and start there. Additionally, I’m thinking we should try meetup.com to meet people with similar interests.

Work

While the wife has work lined up, I don’t. I’m leaving a good, permanent job here in Europe (they can’t fire you). That’s life and I’m not too worried about it with my work experience/background I think I will be attractive for employers in many different fields.

My current plan is to apply for jobs online a few months before the move and hopefully I’ll land some phone/skype interviews and/or schedule interviews for when I’m on the ground in Memphis.

Do you have any particular advice for someone with a general background with multimedia, web, video, marketing, internet, social media background? Any advice or recommendations?

While those fields are of interest, secretly I want to branch out from computer focused careers. Working as a 'grip' aka stagehand setting up Lights/Cameras/Video/Etc Equipment and Video editing/production is of interest. Local TV Stations, Radio, Music industry is of interest. Any market for that kind of thing? Any advice or job recommendations, suggesting, etc..even networking is certainly welcome

Weather

I’m from the DC/MD area, so this will a change for me. Not entirely sure what to expect, other than it being warmer for a longer period of time (much welcomed, where I live in Europe there is no true summer). Being from the DC Area I’m familiar with humidity, how does it compare to Memphis humidity? Perhaps someone from the MD/DC area can give a quick comparison and what to surprises to expect, if any.

Looking forward to a summer, brisk cool nights (while still being comfortable), open skies, thunderstorms, etc. The weather here in Western Europe is just awful, grey low lying clouds (overcast) most of the time.

I touched on this earlier a bit, but what’s the timeframe for open windows weather? I’d like to maximize this as long as possible!

Bugs / Animals

1. This is a new area for me, so I’m sure there will be surprises. What kind of wild animals do you see out in about on a country road?

2. How bad are the bugs? Any big nasty ones?

3. Do they get inside homes/apartments often?

Closing Comments

Well, that’s about all I can think of for the moment, though I’m sure I will think of plenty more in the coming months prior to our move. I apologize for such a long post, though I think many newcomers such as myself will find this extremely helpful. Any input you have is appreciated, and please feel free to contribute your own questions. The more the merrier. Thanks again! We’re looking forward to being party of the Memphis community!

Regards,
OM11

Last edited by OpenMind11; 05-11-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 AM

455 posts, read 1,558,617 times
I hope this helps as an answer.

Sports / Outdoor Activities

I'm not a table tennis player, but I'm reasonably certain some of that exists here. Others will know. Try googling "table tennis memphis". Use the same procedure for many of your other subjects.

There's much in the way of soccer here, probably enough to start your own pick-up games. As to leagues, I don't know but wouldn't be surprised if it exists. There's a place on Summer Ave with putt-putt golf. There could be others. Go-Karts I think we have too, and I know there are places the public ride them (in the 240 North Greenway area). There is/are amusement parks in St. Louis, but others can say for Memphis. I'm not aware of much like that locally.

There are public pools. Try the Y in Germantown, for one. Contact them directly for prices etc.

There're the NBA Grizzlies and class AA baseball Memphis Redbirds. Prices can be gotten from their web-sites probably and they can be contacted directly for ticket information and seasons. They have good food at the games.

There are tours of various types including tours of old historic homes - Holly Springs is one place for that.

Great Outdoors / Hiking / Trips

There is not a better place in the U.S. for all that. Please check past theards on the subject where it's been discussed in great detail. But, we don't have white-water rafting. That would be out West. We don't have "clear blue water" either. We go to the Gulf of Mexico for that. We do most of our canoeing in Arkansas in the Ozark mountain streams and rivers. There's way too much of that to list here. Check past threads. Likewise with fishing, you can catch nearly any type non-saltwater fish that swims within 75 miles of Memphis.

There are almost endless weekend destinations around Memphis and they are covered in much detail on other threads here.

You can swim at all sorts of places, too many to list. Just avoid trying it in the Mississippi River. Unsafe. I wouldn't even water-ski there (I tried it only once and felt some very big fish rise up and touch me).

There is a zip line place, I think in W. Tenn. out of Memphis. Don't know the exact location. And there are caves in Arkansas and Missiouri. Google for them and follow up on the results.

Restaurants / Eating Out

Check out past threads, which are many, including "where the locals eat" and "best bbq" and "fine dining". There are I think Greek restaurants, Jim's Place for one and the annual festival at the Greek Orthodox Church on Highland (coming up now - don't miss it).

The prices are "all over the ballpark". For "fine dining" for two with wine expect anywhere from $60 to $100. Wine can be $5 to $8 a glass and liquor a couple dollars more, give or take. They card everybody for beer outside of restaurants but not in restaurants to my knowledge. But they might if they thought you underage. Liquor stores are not currently carding but probably would if they thought you a minor. But not sure exactly as I'm obviously over 18.

Seasonal Activities

See past threads. 4th of July fireworks are many and are both of the public type with big crowds and the smaller kind. I prefer the more "intimate" neighborhood displays put on by private families for friends, family and neighbors. This has been covered before in detail here. There's the one on the river, and Bartlett does one (Summer and Appling). Lakeland might too; it's on a lake.

Seasonal activities? College football is huge here. And since you didn't mention it, I'm reluctant to say anything about it, but, nothing is bigger seasonally in the Mid-South than hunting.

Check the web-site for Memphis in May.

Road Trips / Day Trips / Travel / Scenic Routes

I'm sorry but there's too much here to cover in this fashion. It's been covered extensively in other threads. I've contributed to those as have many others here. It would really be repetitive to find that material and re-post it here. But, there are MANY interesting road or day trips available. Too many to briefly list.

We don't have ghost towns in the sense of out West abandoned mining towns, but we have places I regard as historic because of what used to be there that no longer exists. We also have real small communities out in farming country that almost no longer exist where you can see remants of the distant past. Again, too many to list.

For other cities, St. Louis is the closest big city of real interest. And Hot Springs is not bad. And there's Nashville, which is what it is...

Native American sites? Study up on the internet the "mount builders" of this area and the tribes that lived here including the Chickasaws. They were not real numerous but did leave their mark in more ways than just the place names. MANY inhabitants of the Mid-South of both major races have significant Indian blood coursing through their/our veins.

Music / Concerts / Live

I'm past the concert stage of life and will leave that for others. I have however seen a comedy act at Tunica. Personally I didn't care for it. Way too vulgar and not that funny.

I know of no comedy clubs in Memphis. And I'm reasonably certain the era of the old comedians, like Henny Youngman, the "King of the One Liners" is long gone along with the style and class of that type of act.

Driving/ Auto / Car Related

This has been covered in detail before too, along with all the various factors the cost of insurance is based on. But, it'd be several hundred a year and it's required (although widely ignored). So uninsured motorist coverage is a must.

"Can anyone recommend an honest, affordable mechanic?" MANY of us who live here would like to know that ourselves.

"How are the drivers in Memphis?" Bad, but not as bad as is generally thought compared to many other places. They don't know how to drive in rain or snow or on a clean dry street for that matter. And many are impaired.

Daily Life / Cost of Living / Etc

This has been covered before too and recently. There's no way to say what an "average salary" is, except Memphis has the reputation of low pay. It always did have that. But the cost of living is way cheaper here. I'd say $40K would be a "good salary".

"What are the high speed internet options?" Comcast is a little over $100 per month for TV and internet.

Utilities depend on a LOT of things. For the most part ours average around $200 something.

"How do Floods/storms/tornadoes/snow/etc effect daily life". They don't except for (in our area) frequent minor power outages and once every ten years a major power outage with major tree destruction due to ice/wind storms.

"I’ve read the tap water in Memphis is clean and safe. Thoughts?" The tap water is as good as it gets in the U.S.

"How are the people you interact with on a regular day at a store/walking on the street/etc. Just curious if there is a pattern in behavior/etc." Honestly, I don't understand the question.

"I don’t want to play on stereotypes, but from what I’ve read is a large portion of the city is ‘uneducated’, basically I’m curious how this portion of the society interacts with the ‘educated’ people." We all get along. Reasons: it's the right thing to do, and, we have no choice considering the alternative.

If what you're really asking is about race relations, here's my view on it.

Race relations is something that, when it's working right, is one of the most beautiful things on earth. And when it's working badly, it's hell for everybody.

Housing

Sorry, but too broad a question again with too many variables. But rent under $1K can be found. Flood zones are not a problem anyplace you're likely to settle. It IS a problem, but the areas affected are not as expansive or generalized as appears in the media coverage. In Europe, the BBC's homepage has Memphis flooding listed as a top story of worldwide interest. I imagine DW has probably treated it too.

"Would the owner of the house provide a lawn mower typically or are we expected to provide that?" Maybe, maybe not. "Would they provide a landscaper to come out and do that house?" I don't think so.

"When you rent a house/apartment how common is it to have all the appliances included (washer/dryer/dishwasher/fridge/etc)?" Yes. "What about utilities? Hoping everything is included, though not too concerned about utilities (just curious)." You'll pay for the utilities one way or another. It may be built into your lease with yearly adjustments.

Weather

Spring and Fall are lovely here. Couldn't be nicer. Summer is hot and humid, frequently hitting 100 degrees. We get used to that. January, February and March are imo frigid. But nothing like "up North". Snow is infrequent here.

Bugs / Animals

The bugs are a problem but not a terrible one. But some are allergic to the sting of yellowjacket bees. It is life threatening if you are allergic. There are poisonous snakes and spiders too. Check those out on the internet. There are many types of wild animals, including some potentially dangerous, but nothing big that eats people. Check out TWRA's web-site for what wild creatures live here.

There are many whitetail deer in the Mid-South. They are widely hunted when in season for meat. But, be advised to know their areas and drive carefully to avoid accidentally hitting one. It happens all the time and will totally destroy your car and maybe you. I drive no more than 40 mph in the country at night in high deer density areas.

"Do (bugs) they get inside homes/apartments often?" Yes, they do. We've got a lot of ants right now that were driven inside by all the rain we've had. By and large though, the bug problem is seasonable and manageable.

Good luck and welcome to your new home. You'll find no end of new friends here. Like people everywhere, folks in the Mid-South will always like someone who likes others.

Last edited by Ginsaw; 05-11-2011 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Ginsaw, thank you for your response. I realize I stuffed a lot in this thread and know many topics have been covered before and some could be found via searching online. Thanks for taking the time to give me a solid response. I'll certainly be using this forum as a reference during my time in Memphis.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I'll try to answer a few...

For rafting, there are a few rivers in Arkansas that you may want to check out. My personal favorite is the Cossatot down in the soutwestern part of the state.

For caving, you may want to look at Blanchard Springs, which is up in Mountain View, Arkansas.

Amusement parks -- Six Flags in St. Louis is going to be biggest nearby thrill park. Magic Springs in Hot Springs, Arkansas, has a couple of killer coasters, too.

Weekend drive -- Check out Shiloh National Military Park, a few counties east of Memphis. It's a great place for history, hiking, etc.

As my recommendations indicate, when it comes to 'natural' things, I'm a big fan of 'The Natural State' -- Arkansas. Rafting, caving, hiking, 'mountain' (or big hill) climbing, even hang gliding -- all of those things are better in Arkansas than most anywhere else in this region of the country.

I'll post more later.

Best wishes and welcome to Memphis.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM

469 posts, read 969,740 times
First of all, Ginsaw, you did a wonderful job answering so much of this inquiry. You'll have to understand, OpenMind11, that most respondants to this list will have a good answer to two or three sub topics in which they are interested or are knowledgeable, and even if they answer more, the rest may be opinion or shallower viewpoints. Ginsaw took more time than most will take, probably and gave excellent insight.
That baseball level, BTW is AAA and is a little more advanced than AA, but the main attraction is the award winning ball park we have in Autozone Park, carrying the feel of Downtown Memphis and providing a very nice atmosphere for a few hour diversion.

Music, Concerts, Live
I am definitely older than you and less travelled internationally, but I did live in the D.C. area and worked all around the Baltimore metro years ago, and Memphis may be a little closer than you think in terms of venues and numbers of concerts. Agreed that underground and more eclectic styles would be much less, maybe because Memphis was the original incubator for American music, specifically the blending of raw Blues, Rock origins, Gospel and Country into Rockabilly, Rocknroll, Rythym & Blues and Soul, so maybe all that was slower to morph into less rythmic styles, but it's there, in fact my Son in Law is a Metal drummer. Though these types of music may not contribute a lot to the number there are several hundred live concerts per year in Memphis, some decent ones free. I'm not saying they are all good, but google Levitt Shell concert schedule and clic on each date, all performed free of charge. You'll find some that you'll enjoy. This outdoor venue was where Elvis did one of his first performances. Bring a blanket or lawn chair.
Surf through "Live at The Gardens" Concert Series (also outside @ Memphis Botanical Gardens), Bartlett Performing Arts Concert Series, of course FedEx Forum's schedule which features Bon Jovi and Foo Fighters & Motor Head shortly, Minglewood Hall's schedule, Snowden Grove which has Poison upcoming and others soon. These are some venues, and others may be smaller and harder to dig through to find something of interest, but keep your interests varied and you'll find a couple more in places like the Buchman Series at Buchman Performance Theatre orMud Island Amphitheatre which should have a schedule this year when the water recedes on Mud Island. Combine these with "Memphis" the Broadway smash hit making it's namesake premier in August I think at the Orpheum and more Broadway stuff continuously. Well that's my part for today!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM

455 posts, read 1,558,617 times
Just a couple corrections, as the system will only let you edit your posts for a brief time. Repboy is right. It is AAA and not AA for the Redbirds (although the main difference imo is in the pitching). I was thinking of the prior Memphis Chicks which had been AA for decades. The new club is a step-up and is part of the St. Louis Cardinals organization, which I believe has always been most Memphians' favorite big league team.

Also, it's "mound builders" not "mount builders" on the Indians or Native Americans.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
For the record, that is the longest post I've ever seen on here.

Are you saying you've decided to move to Memphis even though you've never even visited? I guess you said "potential" move.

Anyway, here is a great source for reference. Nuts and bolts kind of info:

Newcomer's Guide - Memphis Magazine - August 2010 - Memphis

Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I just caught on to that as well - I would emphatically recommend visiting a couple times before moving. Especially since you are moving from so far away. Like all cities, Memphis has it's ups and downs. The city is not for everyone. It can be a huge culture shock to a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
For the record, that is the longest post I've ever seen on here.

Are you saying you've decided to move to Memphis even though you've never even visited? I guess you said "potential" move.

Anyway, here is a great source for reference. Nuts and bolts kind of info:

Newcomer's Guide - Memphis Magazine - August 2010 - Memphis

Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the great responses so far, keep them coming and feel free to add questions of your own if you’re new to Memphis or thinking of moving there.

Ginsaw, I’ll take this time to reply a bit further to your reply. That’s great news about all the sporting and outdoor activities in and around Memphis. I figured a city the size of Memphis would have most, if not all of them. I’m pleasantly surprised that soccer seems to be pretty popular in Memphis. While I’m no professional, and for that matter haven’t played in years, its something I may try to get involved with to get some exercise, meet new friends, and enjoy the afternoon.

Your comment on historic homes reminds me that I’ve always wanted to check out the old plantations in the south. I recall reading there are a good bit of those in MS. If anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear it.
Sounds like we picked the right place for outdoor activities, certainly one of the things I’m looking forward to most. Sounds like a fisherman’s paradise. We’re more or less beginners in that field but enjoy it.

Regarding swimming, I forgot to ask what is the swimming season in the area? When does the water get warm enough to start swimming comfortably and when does it finally start to cool down to the point where you wouldn’t want to enter a lake? When my wife went to Memphis earlier this year people were already talking about swimming apparently (March). Thanks again for your insight.

Strumpeace, great suggestions, pretty much everything you’ve recommended is new to me. I’m definitely excited about Arkansas, seems to be a hidden gem most Americans don’t take the time to explore. I’ll certainly try to take advantage of it while I can. I’ve seen quite a few photos of parks in AR, TN, MS, etc parks and I’m very excited! Over here where I live now there are no real parks or true nature for that matter. Can’t wait to have that in my backyard again.

REPBOY, I understand not everyone can give a response to every single question; however any input people can give is truly appreciated! It’s great to hear the Music scene is growing and exists in Memphis. I don’t have the time I once did to attend as many concerts, but it’s nice to have the opportunity whenever I have the free time. I’ll certainly check out the venues you mentioned, thanks for the tips.

Wmsn4Life, haha, yes it was quite a long post. I’m happy that people took the time to read and respond to it. Let’s hope I see this kind of graciousness in person down in Memphis. I had some downtime and wanted to make a fully comprehensive thread that I can refer to once I’m on the ground in Memphis. My mistake for saying ‘potential’ move, at this point it’s more or less final.

You are correct in assuming I’ve never visited Memphis. I know it’s always best to visit the place you’re going to move; ideally multiple times for extended periods. Realistically though, it is not always feasible.

In my case I’m living in Europe and can’t easily make my way to Memphis to check it out beforehand. My wife made a brief trip there during the interview process for her job. While she didn’t see much, she seemed to like what she saw. I was hoping to join her, but unfortunately the flights were so expensive I wasn’t able to justify the cost for such short trip.

Since this isn’t necessarily a permanent move (though if we enjoy it that much, it could be), I’m not too worried about not having had a chance to visit. Since we like to travel and explore new areas my philosophy is to make the best of the situation as any place can be really enjoyable for a few years.

Since I wasn’t able to personally visit Memphis prior to our move, I’ve done the next best thing, extensive research through this forum and other online resources.

Thanks for the link to the Memphis magazine, I‘ll bookmark it and take a deeper look .

Pearlbob, I'd love to visit beforehand but due to to all the factors at play in my situation it's simply not feasible unless someone wants to donate a few thousand for the trip. I accept paypal, credit card, and checks.

With that said, we're pretty down to earth people and not too stuck in our ways, so I don't think we'll have a problem adjusting.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM

73 posts, read 228,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I just caught on to that as well - I would emphatically recommend visiting a couple times before moving. Especially since you are moving from so far away. Like all cities, Memphis has it's ups and downs. The city is not for everyone. It can be a huge culture shock to a lot of people.

I would echo this sentiment and advice. In fact I think it's CRAZY moving to Memphis (or any other city) without visiting it and seeing for yourself...SEVERAL TIMES NOT ONCE

Also , please allow me to make a comment..it is an opinion about the impetus of your post.

It seems highly suspect that IF you've been on THIS site , including others for OVER A YEAR, you would be asking these sorts of questions because of great many of your questions have been covered and answered completely with various comments, some negative, some positive.

Your position is not credible in suggesting you've contemplated picking Memphis TN over the entire US to move to from WESTERN EUROPE. I mean Memphis would represent extreme culture shock over a host of other American cities (or Canadian cities), unless you have some 'connection' here such as family, southern heritage, etc etc. Really, I would NOT pick Memphis over several other dynamic southern cities even..for a variety of reasons, but that's based on my personal experience...

Again, if you've been "lurking" here for that kind of time, you wouldn't have HAD to write such a litany of questions...some rather mundane and simplistic...

I'll answer one : Any GREEK RESTAURANTS ??

My Answer: Hell no, not really, nothing that is noteworthy one bit...Memphis hardly has a great Italian restaurant of real note, and maybe one French-inspired place in my opinion...I'll say this again, that's MY opinion ! the food in Memphis is not world-class or comparable to W Europe's food (or NYC's or Atlanta's, or Miami's or New Orleans, or etc etc etc etc)

Good luck,

BTW, you stated most crime in Memphis is GANG RELATED....that's patently a lie for your information

Sorry, but your post has another agenda....dosen't work for somebody who STATES they've been LURKING OUT HERE ON CITY DATA for "well over a year"

What's your real deal pal ?

Last edited by Anongmous; 05-12-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis