Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,058 times

Advertisements

How good is the public school system in Tennessee? Are there some cities better than others and if so where? Also I'm going into the medical field. What cities have the most hospitals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:42 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,320,565 times
Memphis has the worst public school system in the state. One of the worst in the country. I don't know about other cities, but they are obviously all better! Memphis is the medical hub of TN, although Nashville is probably a close second with Vandy being there (the UT medical school is in Memphis, not Knoxville).

If you are just randomly choosing a city, and are basing it on public schools, go ahead and cross Memphis off your list. The 4 major cities are Memphis, Knoxville, Nashville, and Chatagnooga. Also the tri-city area out east, and a few smallish cities here and there (Jackson, Murfreesboro...places like that).

Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM

376 posts, read 1,772,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayman View Post
How good is the public school system in Tennessee? Are there some cities better than others and if so where? Also I'm going into the medical field. What cities have the most hospitals?
The public school systems vary wildly across the state. Memphis City Schools are the worst, but Shelby County Schools (outside the city limits and including the suburbs) are among the best. While MCS is the worst school district, some of its schools are among the top public schools in the country. There are plenty of medical jobs in every city in Tennessee.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:02 PM

774 posts, read 2,573,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
The public school systems vary wildly across the state. Memphis City Schools are the worst, but Shelby County Schools (outside the city limits and including the suburbs) are among the best. While MCS is the worst school district, some of its schools are among the top public schools in the country. There are plenty of medical jobs in every city in Tennessee.
The ones that are the "top public schools in the country", however, are the optional programs. Simply moving into the attendance zone of the "top public school" will not get a student in the optional program. Indeed, in today's paper it was announced that one of those "top schools" is actually on the high priority list for the state, the next step being state takeover if progress does not occur. So while that particular "top school" rides the coattails of its optional program in building a reputation, it is indeed considered to be a school that is not meeting state and national requirements.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,328,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Memphis has the worst public school system in the state. One of the worst in the country. I don't know about other cities, but they are obviously all better! Memphis is the medical hub of TN, although Nashville is probably a close second with Vandy being there (the UT medical school is in Memphis, not Knoxville).

If you are just randomly choosing a city, and are basing it on public schools, go ahead and cross Memphis off your list. The 4 major cities are Memphis, Knoxville, Nashville, and Chatagnooga. Also the tri-city area out east, and a few smallish cities here and there (Jackson, Murfreesboro...places like that).

One reason Memphis does so poorly is b/c it's the 17-th largest system in the nation.

But there are very good public schools around, and even more private schools, many of which give generous financial aid and scholarship packages.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
The ones that are the "top public schools in the country", however, are the optional programs. Simply moving into the attendance zone of the "top public school" will not get a student in the optional program. Indeed, in today's paper it was announced that one of those "top schools" is actually on the high priority list for the state, the next step being state takeover if progress does not occur. So while that particular "top school" rides the coattails of its optional program in building a reputation, it is indeed considered to be a school that is not meeting state and national requirements.

Yeah, when you look at the Newsweek top high schools, the top two or three are in Dallas, and they are all optional schools, in the same "campus," actually.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Yeah, when you look at the Newsweek top high schools, the top two or three are in Dallas, and they are all optional schools, in the same "campus," actually.
It's rather misleading, isn't it? You'd think an asterisk would be in order, at the very least.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
It's rather misleading, isn't it? You'd think an asterisk would be in order, at the very least.

I think it depends on the level of autonomy. It may be a template to follow in Memphis down the road; create two or three magnet schools clustered together . . .

Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I think it depends on the level of autonomy. It may be a template to follow in Memphis down the road; create two or three magnet schools clustered together . . .

Oh, I agree. I'm more concerned with the way it misleads people who are considering school districts and such in terms of moving their families. A person could see that a home is in the White Station school district, find out that White Station is a top school and assume that their kid is in a terrific school just based on their living there. Unfortunately, there's no mention that it's a subset of the school that is exceeding expectations while the rest of the school isn't meeting standards. It really puts people at a disadvantage when considering a school district and the like.

We've been considering a move and I've been investigating schools (public and private) and the programs within. Fortunately, I have a background in educational policy, so I know which rocks to look under. A lot of people don't have that and trust the information that they're given, assuming they're being given all the facts of the matter.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:47 PM

201 posts, read 1,066,835 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree. I'm more concerned with the way it misleads people who are considering school districts and such in terms of moving their families. A person could see that a home is in the White Station school district, find out that White Station is a top school and assume that their kid is in a terrific school just based on their living there. Unfortunately, there's no mention that it's a subset of the school that is exceeding expectations while the rest of the school isn't meeting standards. It really puts people at a disadvantage when considering a school district and the like.

We've been considering a move and I've been investigating schools (public and private) and the programs within. Fortunately, I have a background in educational policy, so I know which rocks to look under. A lot of people don't have that and trust the information that they're given, assuming they're being given all the facts of the matter.
Would you mind sharing what you particularly look for that the typical parent wouldn't know to ask? I ask because we recently left a private school in Memphis and enrolled our child in a public school in our new state -- in a good district that would rival the likes of the better private schools in Memphis. But - something is not setting right with me with our new school - although I don't what it is (we've been in school now for one week so time will tell but I would love to know what I *could* be looking for).

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis