Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times

Advertisements

If you were fine living in New Orleans, you will also be fine living in Memphis. As a place to live, I prefer Memphis over New Orleans. A little better weather, a little less abject poverty, etc.
From a woman's perspective, I would not take your wife to see Bartlett first. I would start with Germantown and Collierville, then go to Bartlett and Lakeland.
Bartlett is a fine suburb, but nothing exciting. It's not that pretty and is a bit run down in places. It has a good library and some great parks. But if you start there, your wife might be really disappointed. I would reel her in with the prettier suburbs first and than expand to Bartlett.
I think you will find more professionals with your salary range in Germantown and Collierville. You will find more diverse population in Bartlett, i.e., different income levels, blue collar & white collar, education backgrounds, etc.
Houston High School in Germantown was recently rated one of the top 500 high schools in the country by Newsweek:
Houston High makes elite Newsweek ranking » The Commercial Appeal

So if you decide to stop homeschooling, that might be something to consider.
Good luck with your interview!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Without a working spouse, finding adequate housing in Germantown for a family of five on $75,000 will be nearly impossible.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 PM

There are currently 114 properties for sale in Germantown for under $250K.
The median family income in Germantown is $94,609, which falls into his $75-$100 range.
Germantown should be well within their range assuming there are no unusual circumstances.

OP here's a good link for stats on Germantown:
http://www.germantown-tn.gov/index.aspx?page=136

Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Median family income in Germantown is just under $130,000. Your numbers are more than a decade old. (Not to mention that you confused median household income for median family income. They're not the same thing.) To the OP -- If you want terribly outdated info on Germantown, follow brentwoodgirl's link. Further, if you think it's ok to deceive your wife--if that's the kind of relationship you have--then you should definitely follow brentwoodgirl's advice regarding 'reeling your wife in.' Classy.

Without a working spouse, finding adequate housing in Germantown for a family of five on $75,000 will be nearly impossible.

Last edited by strumpeace; 06-24-2011 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anongmous View Post
now that's typical Memphis...someone else attempting to discredit another poster..

if you don't like a poster's response to the OP's inquiry..perhaps you should not become so
visceral (also typical Memphis), and take things/other opinion that 'differs' so 'personal'

Give your own response tothe OP...you are not in a position to make adjudications about how
another poster expresses an opinion for heavens's sake.

but your parochial reaction and bristling is typical in Memphis, and I'm glad the OP can read for
themselves how narrow the city can be....and the city can't stomach criticism.
said
Heist, you crack me up.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Median family income in Germantown is just under $130,000. Your numbers are more than a decade old. (Not to mention that you confused median household income for median family income. They're not the same thing.) To the OP -- If you want terribly outdated info on Germantown, follow brentwoodgirl's link. Further, if you think it's ok to deceive your wife--if that's the kind of relationship you have--then you should definitely follow brentwoodgirl's advice regarding 'reeling your wife in.' Classy.

I didn't confuse anything. I quoted the City of Germantown's website, so if you have an issue with the data, the date, or the wording, take it up with them:

City of Germantown : Facts and Figures

Quote:
The median family income is $94,609.
Exact quote from the city of Germantown website, exact quote from my post. And I referenced the site. Be sure and call the city of Germantown first thing Monday morning and let them know they are idiots, okay?

Nothing wrong with putting your best foot forward. I understand that you have some sort of vendetta against me for some reason but you need to move on.

OP- Germantown has 114 properties for sale under $250K, so it's definitely worth a look.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 06-24-2011 at 10:14 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,955 times
Take a look at Collierville too, CHS didn't make the list this year because they changed their rating, but still a good school. Lots of inexpensive homes in C'ville as well. Germantown and Collierville are both great 'burbs if you're going to end up in Memphis. Plenty of homeschool support groups and co-ops in both cities. Germantown High has a Baccalaureate program, you'd have to live in that part of the city to be zoned for that school, or apply to get in for the program. Good luck to you, and let us know how we can help!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 AM

73 posts, read 228,683 times
you called or labeled YOURSELF a "redneck" ??

perhaps you may have already found your dream city....you will fit in with no problem..

from reading the back and forth 'battle' by a few here, I can fully understand why brentwoodgirl
chooses to now reside in Nashville over Memphis.....she obviously understands some of the attitude drawbacks that constantly manifest themselves in Memphis TN, ...which are pretty much absent in places like Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, and beyond.

Memphis, as you can assess for yourself has not matured....not yet......and frankly dislikes the strides that cities such as Nashville have intentionally made, while Memphis was snoring....but it is Memphis' own fault, certainly not any other city, and certainly not Nashville's fault.

And yes, under most reasonable circumstances, making close to 100k you can buy a house in Germantown...or Collierville...unless your DTI is out of whack.

I will say that Gtown is not very 'rednecky' however....never has been, never will be

Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
Heist, I seriously doubt you know anything about why Brentwoodgirl lives in the Nashville area.

But on the other hand, I would say that Collierville, Gtown, Bartlett, and even Arlington would be a good start for the OP.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:52 PM

35 posts, read 23,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anongmous View Post
now that's typical Memphis...someone else attempting to discredit another poster..

if you don't like a poster's response to the OP's inquiry..perhaps you should not become so
visceral (also typical Memphis), and take things/other opinion that 'differs' so 'personal'

Give your own response tothe OP...you are not in a position to make adjudications about how
another poster expresses an opinion for heavens's sake.

but your parochial reaction and bristling is typical in Memphis, and I'm glad the OP can read for
themselves how narrow the city can be....and the city can't stomach criticism.

'nuff said
This is pretty funny because you didn't even answer the OP. You just used it as yet another excuse to set up your soapbox and spew a bunch of bile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis