Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,405 times

Advertisements

My husband and I might be moving from Toronto to Memphis, most likely the Germantown area. I have read in a lot of the postings that racism is a problem in Memphis. My husband is Jewish, is there any problem with anti-semitism? Also, I am a mix of several races, will I suffer from any racism?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:40 AM

201 posts, read 1,070,543 times
There is a large jewish population here. I have not heard of any issues with anti-semitism. Mixed race should not pose an issue either, imo.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
Where have you read these postings? I have never seen any posting on here about anti semitism.

Regardless, of course Memphis is primarily southern baptist, or at least christian, but i don't think you will have a problem. No one will try to convert a jew into christianity. People will leave you alone.

Regarding the races, Memphis is predominantly black, so if that's what you're talking of, no one cares. This is the 21st centurty....believe me, people have bigger fish to fry here in Memphis.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 8,405 times
Wow! Thank you for the quick responses. I'm glad to hear that anti-semitism and prejudice against mixed raced people is not a problem in Memphis! This is great news for us, because my husband and I are quite excited about moving there.

I didn't mean that I read that anti-semitism was a problem in postings, only that I have read that racism, in general, was a problem in Memphis.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:37 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
There is a lot of racial tension in Memphis, but overall on a day to day basis, no one cares. I think the lower class of Memphis is probably where you'll find the most racisim. Middle to upper class is just too educated to think that way. I'm sure that applies to just about anywhere, not only Memphis.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:57 AM

232 posts, read 795,875 times
The only time we (I am white, my girlfriend is black) have run into any problems was a few years ago. I worked on Walnut Grove and Tillman (across from the library on Poplar) and I drove through Binghampton everyday to work, right past the police precinct. One day we were pulled over for speeding and the (white) cop pulled (literally, grabbed) me out of the car and was telling me that I was in the wrong part of town and that the only reason a white person would be down Tillman was to buy drugs. He followed me to work and verified that I did indeed work down there. Luckily, I was working for the Memphis & Shelby County Fire Fighters Assoc. and the cheif was there that day. I told them what happened and was told a few days later that the officer was placed on immediate suspension. I don't know whatever happened with it, but it was resolved quickly. And, honestly, that's the only incident in my 21 years of living in and around Memphis.

*edit: There is a huge Jewish population in Memphis. The Jewish community has been a large part of Memphis' history. I think there is a brief discussion about the Jewish community in the "It started in Memphis" thread.

*edit: I was wrong. We have a entire thread dedicated to the Jewish community: Jewish community in Memphis

Old 08-10-2007, 10:35 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
For the most part, what we have in Memphis is institutional racism. For some people, this concept is hard to understand, and they'll deny it left and right, but it does exist here. Overt racism, such as that described by defiepilex, is not as prominent -- and that's mostly because there isn't much racial mingling here. When blacks stay in 'their' area and whites stay in 'their' area, there isn't much occasion for overt racism to occur.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow1 View Post
My husband and I might be moving from Toronto to Memphis, most likely the Germantown area. I have read in a lot of the postings that racism is a problem in Memphis. My husband is Jewish, is there any problem with anti-semitism? Also, I am a mix of several races, will I suffer from any racism?
Don't believe everything you read, ESPECIALLY here in this forum.
I've never heard of anti-semitism here in Memphis, besides the fact - how would a person know?
There are racial issues, not racism per se, but racial issues as exist in any city with a large minority representation (i.e. at the risk of mod censorship- african-american politician gets busted for curruption then it's suddenly a 'race' issue, that sort of stuff). In day to day stuff, we all get along.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:15 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,283 times
I've heard lots of racist comments in Memphis, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone make an anti-semitic remark. In fact, I think jewish people get more respect than the general population. People may carry some preconceived notions about jewish people--wealthy, hard-working, good families, moral--but they are positive.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 PM

232 posts, read 795,875 times
Haha, yea I think all of the Jewish stereotypes are positive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis