Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 PM

209 posts, read 460,127 times

Advertisements

If you can get same amount of money from UTM and UTK. I recommend you consider UT-Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
Your opinions on the two, which would you choose

University of Memphis or UT Martin
As the others have said, you really need to be more specific with your criteria. All Tennessee public universities offer good value and solid education, although the latter is largely up to the student.

In terms of where the brightest Tennessee students tend to go (based on high school GPA, average ACT scores, and percentage of valedictorians) the top two are, in order, UT Knoxville and Tennessee Tech (Cookeville). After that, ETSU, MTSU, UTM, UTC, UM, and APSU are all about the same, and coming in a distant last is TSU.

University of Memphis offers the best urban environment, whereas UTM is the most rural. MTSU is probably the biggest commuter school, and APSU probably has the least amount of what one might call "school pride" (a large chunk of its student body is comprised of military personnel from neighboring Ft Campbell). UTK is the golden child which receives the lion's share of state funding as well as private donations, so it arguably has the nicest facilities. Coming from Memphis, going to ETSU or TTU would almost be like being in another state but at in-state tuition.

At any rate, you really need to ask more specific questions.

*Disclosure: I'm on the faculty at UTK so my perspective might be a bit skewed, but I've been to every public university in the state for official functions including some accreditation visits. My all-around favorite university in the state is Tennessee Tech.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-23-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM

98 posts, read 370,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
As the others have said, you really need to be more specific with your criteria. All Tennessee public universities offer good value and solid education, although the latter is largely up to the student.

In terms of where the brightest Tennessee students tend to go (based on high school GPA, average ACT scores, and percentage of valedictorians) the top two are, in order, UT Knoxville and Tennessee Tech (Cookeville). After that, ETSU, MTSU, UTM, UTC, UM, and APSU are all about the same, and coming in a distant last is TSU.

University of Memphis offers the best urban environment, whereas UTM is the most rural. MTSU is probably the biggest commuter school, and APSU probably has the least amount of what one might call "school pride" (a large chunk of its student body is comprised of military personnel from neighboring Ft Campbell). UTK is the golden child which receives the lion's share of state funding as well as private donations, so it arguably has the nicest facilities. Coming from Memphis, going to ETSU or TTU would almost be like being in another state but at in-state tuition.

At any rate, you really need to ask more specific questions.

*Disclosure: I'm on the faculty at UTK so my perspective might be a bit skewed, but I've been to every public university in the state for official functions including some accreditation visits. My all-around favorite university in the state is Tennessee Tech.
Management/Business info systems
Hadn't thought about Tenn tech, I may have to consider, I have no knowledge of cookeville though, I would definitely choose UTK but need to stay within driving distance to my reserve unit which is near st louis. TSU not looking to bad being located in Nashville

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM

49 posts, read 154,679 times
Quote:
Hadn't thought about Tenn tech, I may have to consider, I have no knowledge of cookeville though, I would definitely choose UTK but need to stay within driving distance to my reserve unit which is near st louis. TSU not looking to bad being located in Nashville

All Tennessee Board of Regents schools have online degree programs. I heard that you can also mix online and in class up as well.

UT Knoxville is its own board of regents, if you will, so I really have no idea if they have online degrees or not.

Good luck to you and it is really cool how you are in the Reserves

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 PM

33 posts, read 52,134 times
Depends what you want.
Memphis is a huge school. There's a little of everything. It's centrally located in the city. There are what, over 20k students?
Martin and the rest of the UT schools are going to be smaller and in a lot of cases, in a country or smaller city setting.
I've loved Memphis for the most part, aside from the tuition hikes recently and the awful parking mess, but if I could do it over again, I'd be at MTSU or UT Knox just for the prettier scenery and more things to do outdoors.
The area around the campus (& even on campus sometimes) isn't too safe. :/

Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Martin? It's cute little town, but not much to do outside of the university. Which is not a bad thing, that can make for a fun college experience. It's pretty much the complete opposite of U of M. Unless you get involved on campus, there may not be much to do.

With that said, I think UTM is a great campus. It's inexpensive for both tuition and housing. They have added a lot of great amenties there over the past few years- a great rec center, a new University Center, etc. It's also the closest to St. Louis.

If you want a lot of restaurants, shopping, clubs, etc., I would pick UM.

If you like the idea of spending a few years in small college town, I would pick UTM.

A quick day trip to Martin would be a good way to decide if it's a fit for you.

Nashville is further away from St. Louis than both UTM and UM. TSU is in danger of losing its accredition if it doesn't make some changes. I wouldn't invest in an education at TSU until their accredition is back on solid footing.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahaley View Post
Depends what you want.
Memphis is a huge school. There's a little of everything. It's centrally located in the city. There are what, over 20k students?
Martin and the rest of the UT schools are going to be smaller and in a lot of cases, in a country or smaller city setting.
I've loved Memphis for the most part, aside from the tuition hikes recently and the awful parking mess, but if I could do it over again, I'd be at MTSU or UT Knox just for the prettier scenery and more things to do outdoors.
The area around the campus (& even on campus sometimes) isn't too safe. :/
What you wrote (bolded) is simply not true. The University of Tennessee's main campus in Knoxville is larger (28,000) than the University of Memphis (21,000). MTSU in Murfreesboro has surpassed UM to become the 2nd largest university in the state (24,000).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Do any of you have any insight on vanderbuilt, thats one school I never hear mentioned. I plan on only have 1 year left when I go. Just finishing up a few courses at southwest, I have 12 months left on my post 9-11 so cost is irrelevent

Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Hmmm ok nevermind, Vanderbuilt has some strange undergade degrees. No business untill you get into grad school

Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Vanderbilt is a highly-selective private school. You would need top-notch grades and recommendations to get in there.

Here's one for you -- Have you considered The University of Memphis Lambuth Campus in Jackson? One of the degrees offered there is the BBA. www.memphis.edu/lambuth

(As a Lambuth alum, I'm so happy to be able to write that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis