Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,099 times

Advertisements

Do you guys know anyone working at Autozone corporate here in Memphis? I've seen 3 different positions I am interested in pop up over the past 2 years, and I'm going to apply for the first time this week. I'm satisfied where I currently work, but I'm always open to more money and upward movement.
Glassdoor.com doesn't exactly have stellar reviews for Autozone, but alot of those are from store level, part-time employees. Can anyone give me some insight on working there (morale, pay, benefits, dress code, advancement, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:34 PM

329 posts, read 635,525 times
I have a brother in-law who just started working there. Im going to ask him about it though..

Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM

10 posts, read 26,486 times
I started last week, so I'm a new guy, take this info for what it is worth. So far it is very much a corporate culture (hurry up and wait, slow periods followed by bursts of urgency, etc). There are some unique benefits though that to me cover up for some of the oddities. I will also say that everyone I've seen, heard, or talked to seems to really enjoy working for the company. It is a good company to get behind. Yeah, retailer, but they seem to be trying to do right by the customers (for the most part).

I'm in IT, so that may make a difference depending on where you apply. There is a definite urgency to get issues resolved for the stores or distribution centers, but it isn't an overbearing pressure. I've only been here a week, but there seems to be a decent balance between doing the job right and doing it quickly.

There are a few oddities here. First, you will have to spend time in a store. Generally it is only one or two days. They are revamping the program, though, so it may be different if you hire on. Basically I spent two days in a local store shadowing the manager and another employee. It wasn't as bad as I thought, and I really hate the retail job. If you are used to a desk job, the standing will kill your feet, but it is only two days.

Then there is the uniform. On Mondays, and on other special days, we are required to wear store uniforms, complete with pins and such. We do this in the SSC (Store Support Center, not Corporate Office, because the stores are why we are here) to show our support for the stores. It isn't bad, and the shirts are relatively inexpensive (yeah, you buy your own). Other than that, the dress code is relatively common business casual: collared shirt, non-sneaker shoes, no denim. Then there is the cheer. Any meeting with more than 8 people is supposed to start off with the cheer, complete with goofy hand signs to spell the letters AUTOZONE. It is corny and you feel foolish the first couple times, but then you realize everyone else is doing it and it isn't so bad. Most corporate cultures these days have corny stuff they do to try to create the unified feeling amongst the employees. Psycho analysis of what the corporations are trying to do and why it does or doesn't work is another discussion. Suffice it to say, this oddity is by no means the worst, nor is it unbearable.

On the positive side, the benefits, salary, and bonus system are great. Insurance seems to be on par with other places I've worked (a bit better in some areas and worse in others). Takes a bit of time to get into the 401k/stock benefits, but they also seem to be on par with other places. Being a retail company, we get a discount in the stores as well as with some other retailers. Oh, and the relocation package is pretty good. (It is based on level, so I'm not sure what other levels get.) Nice fitness center and cafe. The cafe has a gorgeous view of the river, if that's your thing. AutoZone has their own parking garage, so if Beale street, Grizzley's basketball, AAA Baseball, or the Orpheum theater are your thing, you have a parking place within walking distance of all of these on weekends and evenings. During the day, parking is a bit more frustrating, but AZ has enough rented lot space within a block for everyone.

Memphis itself seems to be very much what I was told when I was first asking a couple months ago. It is a city with potential, but seems to lack vision or direction. I think there are some great things possible for the city. If I were filthy rich, or had a political bent, I think there is a lot that is possible. Yes, Memphis has a lot of crime, but it seems to be mostly in the rougher areas of town. There is some racial tension (this was a big concern for me), but it doesn't seem to be a major issue. It seems that somewhere between simmering animosity and joyful intermingling, Memphis falls around "we have to get along to make this work, so we will do that even if we don't like it". Depending on where you are moving from, that will influence how you perceive Memphis.

Too new to talk about advancement or the like, but overall, I'm currently satisfied with my choice to take this job.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
I have a brother in-law who just started working there. Im going to ask him about it though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl_walker View Post
I started last week, so I'm a new guy
Are you guys related? (Lame, I know. I amuse myself)

Thanks for the information, pl_walker. I've read some stuff online about the chant and hand movements at meetings. I'll sing and dance and wear a tire costume too if the money is right. I don't know if my position will be in store support... it involves planning new stores. I was more concerned about morale. I think I will apply.

Last edited by Geneyus; 08-19-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,998,925 times
I don't work there but I've known a LOT of AutoZone corporate staff over the years since I work for the credit union that serves them. While we've never really discussed how happy they are with their job, it seems that the vast majority of them stay there for the long term - so it can't be too bad!

And yes, they do have the premier employee cafeteria in the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis