Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 AM

20 posts, read 52,633 times

Advertisements

Hi.....my family and I are thinking of moving to the Desoto County - - Olive Branch area. I "may" be getting a job in the area and need a heads up on areas "not" to move in. Have four sons, 10,12,14 and 19...yea, I know, I feel sorry for me, too....

Right now we are in So. Miss. and the kids go to Elem, Jr. High and High School....Also, do kids wear uniforms in that area ??

Also, specifically looking for a 3-4 bdrm rental, or lease w/option home. In surfing, it seems as though the rentals are ranging from $800 - $1500 a month.

H - E - L - P !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
Olive Branch should overall be a safe area. I'm not familiar with it at all. Or are you wanting to live in Memphis?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:52 AM

20 posts, read 52,633 times
Default Thinking of Moving to Olive Branch or Nearby Area

Thanks for the quick response PearlBob....

Oh, no-o-o-o-o-o....had enough of the big city life in my younger days...

I've heard that the schools in DeSoto County were some of the best and "if"
I'm offered this job, Olive Branch would be sorta close by - - less than 15 miles away.

The "job" is in Memphis, but no-way do I want to live in Memphis...

I need peace and quiet and "safe-ness" in my golden years.....

I'll be interviewing next week and really need to know what areas to "cruise" thru....and do you happen to know any realtors who specialize in rental homes ???

funbus

Old 08-10-2007, 08:23 AM

I don't know if realtors do rentals here...Memphis isn't that big of a town. Crye-leike does rentals, but they would probably only promote their own. I think there is an Apartment Locator service, but in Memphis.

Be aware that annexation is taking place is MS now....a co worker of mine is very upset because her current home is being rezoned and her child will have to go to a different school system. They are moving because of this. I am not sure which is which down there, I don't ever go into MS.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Olive Branch is a very safe area, the farther away south from the TN border the better. I don't know of any unsafe areas but crime does tend to migrate down from the Memphis city limits from time to time, so that's why I say the farther from the border the better.
One thing to consider - you pay a state income tax in MS. Doesn't matter if you work in MS of course because you will pay tax regardless.
Sorry - can't comment on schools or rentals. All in all from what I gather schools are superior to Memphis schools and housing is cheap.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,166 times
Quote:
I don't know of any unsafe areas but crime does tend to migrate down from the Memphis city limits from time to time, so that's why I say the farther from the border the better.
I love how people in outlying areas place blame for their crime problems on the city. Denial is not just a river in Egypt, I suppose.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 AM

I was sort of wondering that too, along those lines. Why move to Memphis if you are so afraid of the city? PARTS of Memphis are bad news, but it's not a war zone like people seem to think.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I love how people in outlying areas place blame for their crime problems on the city. Denial is not just a river in Egypt, I suppose.
Yes lets talk about denial. You want me to pull the crime rate of, lets say, the zip code just north of Olive Branch and/or Desoto (Hickory Hill? Shelby drive area? Whitehaven?) and compare it to the Olive Branch zip codes?

Olive Branch does not have a crime problem, but common sense dictates that you move farther away from those areas that do. To advise otherwise would be a deservice to the original poster .

Last edited by Dd714; 08-10-2007 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM

I don't think anyone was advising the OP to move into Hickory Hill, Whitehaven, etc. We are all aware of crime problems there.

There are many areas of Memphis that are just safe and wonderful. If there wasn't, no one would live here.

To the OP: maybe post this on the MS forum and see if you get answers there.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Those "people" are also the police and experts in criminal justice. Spillover crime from urban areas is a well-documented issue. There was a series in the Commercial Appeal not long ago about the suburbanization of crime by criminals living in adjacent urban areas. It was in the paper not long ago that a lot of the crime in Desoto County is perpetrated by Memphis residents, Hickory Hill and Whitehaven neighborhoods in particular. It's fairly obvious; a criminal is going to go where the money and things worth stealing are moving.

This column on the CA has a pretty good explanation of the spillover crime situation. commercialappeal.com - Crime: Fighting Back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis