Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Within the last 5 yrs, have you or anyone in your immediate family been a victim of crime?
Yes, I was a victim of larceny 7 14.29%
Yes, I was burglarized 7 14.29%
Yes, my car was stolen 2 4.08%
Yes, I was robbed 2 4.08%
Yes, I was assualted 3 6.12%
Yes, I was raped 1 2.04%
Yes, I was murdered 5 10.20%
None of the above 26 53.06%
View 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:04 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

Police Crime Stats

so, everyone talks about it, but how many people have actually been victims of a crime in Memphis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 08:40 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,410 times
Question...if I was murdered, how could I respond?

ETA: In the last five years, I never experienced any of the sort.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
Question...if I was murdered, how could I respond?

ETA: In the last five years, I never experienced any of the sort.
I wonder if that includes having someone in the immediate family murdered in the past 5 years. I've had someone in the family murdered, but I think they were about a step off of immediate family. of course, as far as I'm concerned, they're family enough for them to have counted as murdered.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:47 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I think asking people about family/self being murdered or raped is bit inappropriate.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:30 AM

yeah, i kinda wondered about that. but i figured it would be more in synch with the FBI's crime stats.

im hoping they dont get picked though...

Old 08-20-2007, 10:07 AM

232 posts, read 795,748 times
I lol'd at the "I was murdered" choice.

Crime is in every city, in every state, in every country, and if there is life on other planets, I'm sure they have crime too. There is no Utopia. The facts will reveal that the majority of the crimes committed (especially those violent) are committed in neighborhoods that are known for crime. I could say this 10,000 times and still never be heard on this forum: STAY OUT OF CRIME RIDDEN AREAS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BECOME A VICTIM OF CRIME.

Of course, there are still property crimes in "good" parts of town, but a large part of that is people leaving things out in the open, ripe for the taking. Be smart. Think defensively.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiepilex View Post
I lol'd at the "I was murdered" choice.

Crime is in every city, in every state, in every country, and if there is life on other planets, I'm sure they have crime too. There is no Utopia. The facts will reveal that the majority of the crimes committed (especially those violent) are committed in neighborhoods that are known for crime. I could say this 10,000 times and still never be heard on this forum: STAY OUT OF CRIME RIDDEN AREAS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BECOME A VICTIM OF CRIME.

Of course, there are still property crimes in "good" parts of town, but a large part of that is people leaving things out in the open, ripe for the taking. Be smart. Think defensively.
I'd agree with you

prob is, from everything you read on this board, ALL the neighborhoods are bad!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 PM

My girlfriends parents think the same way. They grew up in Westwood and think that anything within city limits is terrible (they now live in Lakeland, which is apparently run by gangs and drug lords anyway. ) We're moving right across the street from the new $270K condos on N. Parkway and they are scared to death that we'll get robbed and murdered in our home. Sheesh!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:25 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Quote:
I'd agree with you

prob is, from everything you read on this board, ALL the neighborhoods are bad!
The really, really awful thing is that even many of Memphis' "bad neighborhoods" have good things going for them.

I'm certainly not going to advocate that people move to Orange Mound, but from what I understand, that area has actually improved over the last few years. There are some active neighborhood groups there, and honestly, I rarely hear about violent crime in that part of the city anymore.

I'm not going to advocate that people move to South Memphis, but there are neighborhoods within that area that are quite livable. I remember going to a Land Use Control Board meeting a couple of years ago and being very impressed with the turnout from the Coro Lake neighborhood. There were at least 50 people from that neighborhood at the meeting speaking out against something that they thought would negatively impact their neighborhood.

There are some very good neighborhoods in Frayser and Raleigh, as well.

Putting the "bad neighborhood" stigma on such large sections of our city hurts outsiders' perceptions of our city AND hurts the neighborhoods' perceptions of themselves.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM

There are lots of good things going into Binghampton, also. Tillman is still a pretty shady street, but from what I hear, Broad St. is in the works of becoming a Cooper-Young type neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis