Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,950 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Memphis area and heard about these three areas. Can anyone give me pros and cons on them?? (homes, shopping, schools,hospitals.) I am an RN with a 9 and 3yr old and want somewhere family friendly but also has things to do in our free time. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 02:42 PM

49 posts, read 154,601 times
Those are all fine cities. Personally, I find Bartlett to be the most downhome for whatever reason.

The school system(s) here are soon to merge. There was the Memphis City Schools as well as the Shelby County Schools. But, after a while they are going to merge. And, after a while all of the cities within the county but outside of Memphis may or may not have their own municipal districts. The best place to read more of that is the online version of "The Memphis Flyer" because the local paper (The Commercial Appeal) is going behind a paywall.

Memphis has a good healthcare system. The UT school of medicine is here and an awfully fair amount of hospitals and clinics and all of that are all throughout the county.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Germantown is going to be the nicest, most affluent, best schools, best public services, etc. Also the most expensive.

Bartlett is the most "blue collar", smaller homes, still a nice place with low crime, relatively good schools.

Collierville is somewhere in between. A lot of people who live there think they're rich and awesome, a lot of people there are just normal suburbanites.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM

309 posts, read 900,289 times
Default Bartlett, Germantown, Collierville and Cordova

Bartlett is okay. Collierville thinks they're all that and it's out of the way.
Germantown is centrally located and has nice homes and schools. I like Cordova. Check property taxes for all of these. I found Germantown and Collierville to be boring suburbs. Bartlett is affordable and their police department is serious. I'd pick Bartlett or Cordova.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,061 times
I'd pick Germantown or Collierville over Bartlett --- Cordova would be my LAST choice!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I'd pick Bartlett. It has convenience going for it. Collierville is too far away; without convenience, it's really just a run-of-the-mill suburb. (It would be my last pick--by far--of the suburbs you mentioned.) Germantown is great, but it's pricy. So it really just depends on what you want -- convenience, exclusivity, bargain, etc.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM

45 posts, read 124,615 times
I would pick germantown, Lakeland, collierville, bartlett in that order. Cordova would not even make my list.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I'd pick Bartlett. It has convenience going for it. Collierville is too far away; without convenience, it's really just a run-of-the-mill suburb. (It would be my last pick--by far--of the suburbs you mentioned.) Germantown is great, but it's pricy. So it really just depends on what you want -- convenience, exclusivity, bargain, etc.
What exactly in Collierville not convenient to? Except for Beale? OP is looking for **homes** (great deals), **schools** (some of the best in Shelby County),
**shopping**
Carriage Crossing is in Collierville
I can get to Saddle Creek in 12 minutes
The Collierville Town Square with dozens of locally owned and run shops and restaurants
We have Two Krogers and a Farmer's Market, and lots of little grocery shops
87 restaurants
A Malco Theatre
A full service Baptist Hospital (amazing place!), and again, are minutes away from several Germantown hospitals.
Festivals, music, community events;
Several parks, including a water splash park
A bike/hike trail that spans two parks and the Collierville Public Library
Harrell Theatre
YMCA, Lifetime Fitness, Ridgeway Country Club, Memphis National Country Club....should I keep going?

Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Collierville does have everything you need, but I think it's true that it is more "enclosed" than Germantown. In my experience, people in Collierville tend to do mostly "Collierville" things, while Germantown people, probably because of proximity, are more likely to go do stuff in East Memphis or around town.

But I guess since we're mainly arguing Collierville vs. Bartlett, I'll say that Bartlett is probably equally, if not more so, town-oriented. And it definitely doesn't have all of the things ColliervilleMom mentioned about Collierville. I think it really comes down to what you can afford, and as I said before Bartlett is going to be the most affordable, followed by Collierville, followed by Germantown. I think most people here would also agree that in each case you get what you pay for.

and yeah I don't recommend Cordova at all, except MAYBE for that area way down on that extension of Forest Hill-Irene off Walnut Grove. Afaik that area is still zoned for Houston, and those houses are pretty nice.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 10-12-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,919 times
I like Collierville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis