Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 AM

58 posts, read 130,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
My guess is you don't know much about Memphis at all but stopped by to rile up people.

Actually, I think the response was just as appropriate as the original stupid question.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 6,020 times
I haven't written in months. I just wanted to say hello to a;ll the open-minded people; hello.

Willie

Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,270 times
Racial tensions in Memphis mainly revolve around politics. Basically white people dislike the black politicians because they're incompetent and often corrupt, and dislike the fact that they continuously get elected because of the black majority.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 PM

405 posts, read 822,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Racial tensions in Memphis mainly revolve around politics. Basically white people dislike the black politicians because they're incompetent and often corrupt, and dislike the fact that they continuously get elected because of the black majority.
Well, that's what happens in a majority black city. Especially one made up of mostly uneducated blacks. But a lot of the white people who complain and perpetuate the disdain are the very same ones who gave up on the city of Memphis, went running out to suburbs, and are now arm chair quarterbacking from Germantown, Collierville, DeSoto County, etc. So both sides are just as screwed up and wrong in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 AM

845 posts, read 2,541,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunjuan View Post
well, that's what happens in a majority black city. Especially one made up of mostly uneducated blacks. But a lot of the white people who complain and perpetuate the disdain are the very same ones who gave up on the city of memphis, went running out to suburbs, and are now arm chair quarterbacking from germantown, collierville, desoto county, etc. So both sides are just as screwed up and wrong in my opinion.
true

Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecnews View Post
We're a late 20's early 30's professional couple from the Northeast.

I've been offered a job in Memphis and are trying to choose between a job there and in another part of the country.

My wife is white and I black. We have an adorable two year old daughter.

We have heard so much about racial tension in Memphis, we're nervous about choosing it as a place to live. Can someone further explain the tension why it exists and how prevalent it is in the area?

We've never experienced trouble making friends, funny looks, or anything but we've been told we would likely experience that here. Are any neighborhoods better than other? Based on the cost of housing there, I think we can live pretty much anywhere. I just don't want my darling daughter to come home crying because someone doesn't want to play with her because she's part black.

Also my wife is a stay at home mom, I want her to be able to easily make friends with other moms in the neighborhood and make friends as I will work a lot, and we will have no friends or family anywhere in the area.

Can you offer any advice? Are we totally off-base? I sure hope so...
You may experience an initial culture shock here. The midtown area is most likely to be demographically diverse.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:17 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecnews View Post
We're a late 20's early 30's professional couple from the Northeast.

I've been offered a job in Memphis and are trying to choose between a job there and in another part of the country.

My wife is white and I black. We have an adorable two year old daughter.

We have heard so much about racial tension in Memphis, we're nervous about choosing it as a place to live. Can someone further explain the tension why it exists and how prevalent it is in the area?

We've never experienced trouble making friends, funny looks, or anything but we've been told we would likely experience that here. Are any neighborhoods better than other? Based on the cost of housing there, I think we can live pretty much anywhere. I just don't want my darling daughter to come home crying because someone doesn't want to play with her because she's part black.

Also my wife is a stay at home mom, I want her to be able to easily make friends with other moms in the neighborhood and make friends as I will work a lot, and we will have no friends or family anywhere in the area.

Can you offer any advice? Are we totally off-base? I sure hope so...
you shouldn't just assume that white kids aren't gonna play with her because she's part black. It's just as likely that black kids aren't gonna play with her because she's part white. Both situations are unlikely IMO, but why do you automatically assume that the whites are gonna be the ones who dont accept her

Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
you shouldn't just assume that white kids aren't gonna play with her because she's part black. It's just as likely that black kids aren't gonna play with her because she's part white. Both situations are unlikely IMO, but why do you automatically assume that the whites are gonna be the ones who dont accept her
Because whites are the ones who have a loooooong history of not being accepting of people of color and of instilling that prejudice in their children from an early age. Not the other way around. His question was a relevant one.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunjuan View Post
not the other way around.
LOL. Are you kidding?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
LOL. Are you kidding?
Not at all. How many Civil Rights Movements took place in America where whites had to fight oppression from blacks attacking them with nooses, water hoses, and police dogs? That's just historically the way it's been, so that's why he asked that question and that's why it was a relevant one to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis