Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

memphis is a dangerous place. but it does have some great church foundations totally unlike the negative picture. also the medical profession is excellent if you work in that field.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:24 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixstl8484 View Post
Hello All
I will be relocating to Memphis for an amazing job opportunity. I currently reside in Saint Louis, MO. I am a 27 year old African American professional male (in college as well). I was just interested in hearing opinions about Memphis from as many people in it as I can, I have a few questions and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1: I hear people talking about and see posts about how dangerous Memphis is. If one actually does their research; St. Louis is higher up on the list and more dangerous than Memphis lol. But it does not seem like St. Louis is dangerous at all and I have lived here my WHOLE life. I know it is just a matter of perspective and environment and truly where you live…..that being said….is Memphis a dangerous place or just has dangerous area’s (as anywhere)
2: Can I find a decent place to live for a reasonable price…decent to me is no people loitering around the complex, an apartment and vehicle being fairly safe, decent manageable staff and the likelihood of crime not likely?
3:Is there public transportation and what is it like?
4:What are the church homes like?
5:What is the job market like and the acceptance of African-Americans?
6:Also…I know there was a flood there recently and am sorry for anyone affected. How did it impact the city…was it the whole city….are things like this common?
My family comes from Millington TN. A lot of my family is in Millington, Nashville or Smyrna. So I am familiar (have been there to hang out) with Memphis; Nashville more so lol. But I have never lived in Memphis and know it is different; very different from Nashville and Millington. I really focus on work and education but would like to be able to meet people and have fun on the weekends when wanted.
1. You amswered youur own question with that last line of your number 1 post. There are dangerous areas, but much of the crime is localized within certain places.

2. That depends on what price range you consider reasonable. Depending on where your job is located you may have a nice little commute.
I'd recommend cordova, lakeland, arlington, and maybe even some areas in midtown and downtown.

3. Yes and it would be way more efficient to have your own vehicle.

4. No experience with those.

5. If you already have a really good job secured, then you are okay. The medical field has some opportunities but not as many as the field is getting a little bit saturated. Depending on the company and its culture it may be a bit twisted to progress. In the company I work for we have an old boy network that does not necessarily depend on race in all cases but maybe 60-65% of the time regarding advancement.

6. The flood hit parts of the city pretty hard. My aunt had to relocate temporarily until everything was back in order. It was not as bad as it could have been for the city though.

I'd recommend maybe asking some of your peers about the social life.
There are some pretty good places and others which are more so vulgar rather than jovial. We do have a nice cultural mix of things to do from galleries to community events.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,592 times
Stay in St. Louis. Seriously. I moved to STL from Memphis in August and it's like night and day. I don't mean to put Memphis down, since it's my hometown, but STL is just generally a much better city to live in.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Stay in St. Louis. Seriously. I moved to STL from Memphis in August and it's like night and day. I don't mean to put Memphis down, since it's my hometown, but STL is just generally a much better city to live in.
I grew up in St. Louis and though I agree it is a much better city to live in, I don't think it's a night and day difference. St. Louis is probably even less safe than Memphis and has a great deal of its own problems. In general though I think the things you dislike about St. Louis will only be amplified in Memphis.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:33 PM

I know this isn't a St. Louis vs. Memphis kind of deal, but I honestly feel safer in St. Louis than I ever did in Memphis, and I live in the City, not the County. Of course, you always have to take those kinds of things with a grain of salt. If you're looking for trouble it will find you wherever you live. I'm just saying that given the choice between the two, I'd take (or stay) in St. Louis in a heartbeat.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM

469 posts, read 970,363 times
Quote:
I know this isn't a St. Louis vs. Memphis kind of deal, but I honestly feel safer in St. Louis than I ever did in Memphis, and I live in the City, not the County. Of course, you always have to take those kinds of things with a grain of salt. If you're looking for trouble it will find you wherever you live. I'm just saying that given the choice between the two, I'd take (or stay) in St. Louis in a heartbeat.
Great!, you have your wish. Personally my family has no problems with personal safety or any real theft of property issues where they live or work in Memphis.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,350 times
The poster probably lived in a not so great part of Memphis and lives in a nicer area of STL. The comparison is probably apples to oranges. STL has several of the same issues that Memphis has, but it is more cosmopolitan so the issues can be ignored a little more.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM

I lived in Collierville, actually, and spent most of my days and free time in Midtown and Downtown.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,350 times
Quote:
I lived in Collierville, actually, and spent most of my days and free time in Midtown and Downtown.

So you felt unsafe walking the mean streets of Collierville???

Or are you saying you feel safer is downtown STL than you did in DT Memphis?

I always felt really safe in downtown STL because it was typically dead after 4:00pm, so there were not many people to make me feel threatened. I have also never felt unsafe in DT Memphis, but there are typically several people around and the aggressive bums can catch you off guard, LOL

Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM

I mean I feel safer in downtown St. Louis than downtown Memphis. And when's the last time you've been to downtown St. Louis? Evidently it's exploded in the last couple years. In my experience it's busier both during the day and at night than downtown Memphis. In fact, I do my grocery shopping at the full service Schnuck's down there. Washington Avenue is usually popping, especially on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis