Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 16,022 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Memphis TN on March 2012 with my husband and our 2 children (4 and 1 year old). We are moving from Boston Massachusetts because of the cost of living and the kindergarten cut-off date (indeed my son is born on September 27. If we stay in Boston he will not be able to enroll in the kindergarten next year because he should have to be 5 years old by September 1st) .I also hoping to find in Memphis TN a slower pace to raise our children, not so populated, not too much traffic, excellent public schools, easy access by public transportation, safe neighborhood and friendly people.

We will be renting - hopefully no more than $800 per month. Want a neighborhood that is not over populated and easy accessible by public transportation. Is this reasonable to find in our price range? Where is a good place to look for quality rentals?

Any suggestion about private schools ??

What areas or neighborhoods should I be looking for? If you could live anywhere in the Memphis area where would it be and why?

What about jobs in Memphis ( I’m a certified Phlebotomy/EKG Technician and my husband is a certified Pharmacy Technician) ? Is it easier to find than Nashville ?

I appreciate any input you have . Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manloulou77 View Post
I would like to move to Memphis TN on March 2012 with my husband and our 2 children (4 and 1 year old). We are moving from Boston Massachusetts because of the cost of living and the kindergarten cut-off date (indeed my son is born on September 27. If we stay in Boston he will not be able to enroll in the kindergarten next year because he should have to be 5 years old by September 1st) .I also hoping to find in Memphis TN a slower pace to raise our children, not so populated, not too much traffic, excellent public schools, easy access by public transportation, safe neighborhood and friendly people.

We will be renting - hopefully no more than $800 per month. Want a neighborhood that is not over populated and easy accessible by public transportation. Is this reasonable to find in our price range? Where is a good place to look for quality rentals?

What areas or neighborhoods should I be looking for? If you could live anywhere in the Memphis area where would it be and why?

What about jobs in Memphis ( I’m a certified Phlebotomy/EKG Technician and my husband is a certified Pharmacy Technician) ? Is it easier to find than Nashville ?

You are going to be kind of limited in what you are looking for at that price range. To get something that cheap that is not very populated, but also near public transit will be nearly impossible. Most public transportation will be in the City of Memphis, which will be the most densely populated place in the metro area. The schools will be better (in general) in the suburbs, but you will not have great access to public transportation and it may be hard to find something for $800.00 a month. From what you have described I would recommend you look into Bartlett. This is a suburb that shares a border with Memphis and is not extremely expensive to live in.

There are too many to list. It really depends on what you are looking for (i.e. secular, religious, all male, all female, etc.)

If I could live anywhere in the Metro (and I can), I would choose East Memphis or Germantown. However, these areas are very expensive. I love these areas because they are extremely nice and convenient to everything.

It is not really that hard to find jobs in Memphis if you are in the medical field, but I am not sure how the search would compare with Nashville.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM

203 posts, read 561,799 times
Quote:

TO be clear, Memphis is not a public transportation kind of town. You will be driving for the most part.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,216 times
Quote:

There are some very good MC schools, although most are just the opposite. My son will be going to Idlewild Elementary next year. Excellent school, plus its in the heart of Midtown. But with city schools you can enroll your kids in schools not in your district. Midtown is a great family area, cheaper than the suburbs and much more lively. Coming from Boston, I would think you may be more interested in East Memphis, which has very good schools or Midtown, which also has very good schools.

Memphis is a blast in Midtown or East Memphis, for kids and adults.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,018 times
I am intersted in moving to Memphis or Nashville. Any suggestions on which is better for jobs and family. I currently work in education in Mississippi and I am ready for a change. i have a 13 year old daughter and she is ready for a change as well. Any suggestions?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:18 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by change 74 View Post
I am intersted in moving to Memphis or Nashville. Any suggestions on which is better for jobs and family. I currently work in education in Mississippi and I am ready for a change. i have a 13 year old daughter and she is ready for a change as well. Any suggestions?

You really need to give more info than that. What are you looking for?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,686 times
Honestly, you can move anywhere in the country, Memphis shouldn't be near the top of your list. Public transportation is a joke, most of the schools are awful--even the "good" schools aren't great by national standards, and it's one of the least safe cities in the country. Nashville wouldn't be much better, either.

Have you given Rochester, NY any thought? It's about the same size as Memphis, much better schools, home prices are just as cheap, virtually no crime.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,686 times
But if you are dead set on Memphis, live in Germantown.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Honestly, you can move anywhere in the country, Memphis shouldn't be near the top of your list. Public transportation is a joke, most of the schools are awful--even the "good" schools aren't great by national standards, and it's one of the least safe cities in the country. Nashville wouldn't be much better, either.

Have you given Rochester, NY any thought? It's about the same size as Memphis, much better schools, home prices are just as cheap, virtually no crime.
You'll also pay high NYS taxes, and real estate taxes are about triple what they are here. The winters are endless too. I love Rochester, it's my hometown, but the only months I'd want to live there are June, July and August.

That said, I agree, if you can pick anywhere..and you don't have a great job lined up, why are you choosing Memphis? I'd probably look at Nashville. Much prettier.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:08 AM

405 posts, read 822,956 times
You should honestly just move to Nashville instead. Most people who live in Memphis don't even like it here and would move if they could (the professional, middle class ones anyway), but I NEVER hear anybody say that about Nashville...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis