Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:27 PM

53 posts, read 121,474 times

Advertisements

As some of know I used live in Memphis for yrs and worked for the FBI. Moved to Scottsdale due to a promotion and as of December 7th, 2011 I got another major promotion at the HQ that required my wife, our child and I to move to the Washington, DC. So how have things been in Memphis? Just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:34 PM

10 posts, read 26,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBlaz View Post
As some of know I used live in Memphis for yrs and worked for the FBI. Moved to Scottsdale due to a promotion and as of December 7th, 2011 I got another major promotion at the HQ that required my wife, our child and I to move to the Washington, DC. So how have things been in Memphis? Just curious!
Hello Tony!

It's the same old same old here in Memphis. Not much ever changes.
We still have a very high murder rate and it just increases almost every year. Drugs have ruined this area for sure!! Lived here all my life and often wonder why I never left... :-)

Take care and seeya!
Jim

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,931,646 times
I heard Mayor AC Wharton on the radio this morning, and it sounds like he is planning quite a few things to improve Memphis in the next year. He mentioned working on Brooks Rd to fix up the area, the Bass Pro/Pyramid project is humming right along, and he is paying close attention to "nuisance" night clubs and crime near Beale St that might affect tourism. I can't recall the other topics at the moment, but I was impressed on everything he is working on.

Crime should be down for a few months since it is winter. Things are going pretty well, I would say.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 21,159 times
Not much has changed lately. Decent winter weather if you like mild winters. I'm optimistic that things will improve rather than decline this year.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 PM

43 posts, read 110,934 times
There is hope. We no longer have a self-aggrandizing idiot at the helm of the city, but a competent leader.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 26,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka092 View Post
There is hope. We no longer have a self-aggrandizing idiot at the helm of the city, but a competent leader.
Amen!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM

506 posts, read 1,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
Hello Tony!

This.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,041,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka092 View Post

That.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,328,364 times
Yeah, it has looked pretty good to me.

1. Herenton no longer mayor.
2. Herenton getting defeated by Cohen -- IN THE 9TH DISTRICT!
3. Wharton is now mayor.
4. The collaboration/partnership of Wharton and Luttrell.
5. Wharton speaking at the Desoto County Chamber of Commerce.
6. Building the Greenbelt. And the Greenline. And the Madison line.
7. Emergence of Broad Avenue as a vibrant, urban neighborhood.
8. Announcement of museums devoted to two world-famous photographers from Memphis -- Ernest Withers and William Eggleston (I still want to see a collaboration between them).
9. Collaboration between the Brooks and Dixon (I seem to recall that it was pretty successful?)
10. Children's Museum of Memphis recognized as one of the best in the South, and announcement of donations (I believe AAA South rated it the best, FWIW).
11. Rebirth of the Commerce Square tower.
12. Improvement in crime statistics
13. Renovations at Shelby Farms, including the playground.
14. Move forward with Bass Pro Shops
15. Announcement of Electrolux, (and the streamlined EDGE incentives). I think there was one or two other industry announcements, but forgot their names. One of them was Canadian besides Electrolux, IRRC. In expanded metro news, the Toyota Plant began. I think the Chinese auto manufacturer also began, but on a much, much smaller scale than originally proposed.
16. Move forward with Overton Square renovations, including pending move of the Hattiloo Theater to the area, and the earlier building of new HQ for Playhouse -- creating sort of a Theater District.
17. Explosion of Farmers' Markets.
18. Skate park
19. The Memphis brand has spread in entertainment -- with the musical, two tv shows, and one major motion picture featuring it, and another film directed by a Memphian; not to mention a couple of artists getting in touch with their "Memphis Soul" side, including Cyndi Lauper and Huey Lewis, among others.
20. First breath of life returning to the Sears Crosstown building.
21. Expansion of educational offerings in the downtown area (Memphis College of Art expansion, the law school, the Visible school).
22. Return of river cruises, rescue of the American Queen, and location of its headquarters here.

That's off the top of my head. The biggest improvement has been in quality of life, particularly in physical activity. This has been a big flaw for the region (and the South in general). The new exercise paths seem to be popular. Plus the city-built skate park, renovation of Shelby Farms. Hopefully that improves the health of the region. Then you have LeBonheur's completion of its expansion and facelift in its pursuit of world-class status. Finding an identity for Overton Square in the form of performing arts. A few more museums to recognize other parts of our past. The Dixon-Brooks collaboration was ambitious, and I hope a resounding success. The ascension of the Children's Museum (which I am embarrassed to say have overlooked). The sustained popularity of the Zoo.

What we are seeing is the pioneers of excellence starting to spread to other institutions in the areas of Medicine (Le Bonheur wants to raise its standard to almost St. Jude level) and culture (Overton Square, Dixon-Brooks, and the Children's Museum want to duplicate the Zoo), even groceries (several farmers' markets are sprouting to follow South Main's success).

Now is not the time to rest. Or pat ourselves on the back. So many opportunities are not being grasped. Opportunities for synergy and success. Keep improving on crime without compromising the high standards we have imposed on ourselves in self-reporting. Maintain the collaboration between city and county, and expand it. It's not a foregone conclusion.

Recognize our flaws. Acknowledge our improvements. And use those improvements as inspiration when we confront our flaws and potential.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:26 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,328,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
Hello Tony!

We still have a very high murder rate and it just increases almost every year. Drugs have ruined this area for sure!! Lived here all my life and often wonder why I never left... :-)

Take care and seeya!
Jim
It decreased for two straight years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis