U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 07:32 AM

14 posts, read 47,617 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I may be relocating to the Memphis area and I have been reading all of the related posts. I haven't seen anything asked regarding the outdoor recreation in the area. It's tough to tell from the map and we haven't yet visited, but I was curious about the State Parks, lakes, mountains, hiking, etc in the area. We're coming from the Atlanta suburbs where the North Georgia Mountains are an hour away and where there are State Park recreation areas with hiking and kayaking only a few miles from our house.

Is there anything like that in the area around Memphis? Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,980,500 times
This is a pretty flat part of the country, so opportunities for (adventurous) hiking and kayaking are limited. Meeman-Shelby State Park in the northwest portion of the county has some hiking trails that border the Mississippi River. Both Meeman-Shelby and Shelby Farms (Cordova/East Memphis) are great for biking. For kayaking, I know a few folks who've been brave enough to kayak the Wolf River. (I say 'brave' because the Wolf is not very clean; it's not very challenging, either, from what I hear.)

Keep in mind that while Memphis lacks somewhat in the outdoor adventure area, we are within a day's distance of some other areas that more than compensate for our outdoor ineptness. Check out North Central and Northwest Arkansas. We're also not too awful far from the Chattanooga area -- and, being from Atlanta, you're probably already familiar with the whitewater activities that area offers.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 AM

3,376 posts, read 12,669,862 times
I agree with Strumpeace - while we do have Shelby Farms in the city (some biking and walking trails, a small lake you can paddleboat on, picnic areas, buffalo roaming and things like that) and also Shelby Forest up north (some hiking, cabins, etc) the best place to go for 'outdoor' excitement is hours from Memphis. I agree with Chattanooga - and like mentioned, I'm sure being from Atlanta you are already familiar with Chattagnooga.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 AM

774 posts, read 2,445,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paloma524 View Post
Hello! My family and I may be relocating to the Memphis area and I have been reading all of the related posts. I haven't seen anything asked regarding the outdoor recreation in the area. It's tough to tell from the map and we haven't yet visited, but I was curious about the State Parks, lakes, mountains, hiking, etc in the area. We're coming from the Atlanta suburbs where the North Georgia Mountains are an hour away and where there are State Park recreation areas with hiking and kayaking only a few miles from our house.

Is there anything like that in the area around Memphis? Thanks!!!
The only mountains close by are the Ozarks. It's an easy 3 hour drive up to Hardy, AR where canoeing and kayaking are plentiful. It's about the same distance over to Heber Springs, AR where world-class fly-fishing is available on the Little Red River. Hiking is available in the Arkansas state parks in the Ozarks. In Tennessee, you can go to Land Between the Lakes Natinoal Recreation Area which is on Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley and the Cumberland River. This area is about 2.5 hours away. Land Between The Lakes | HOME (http://www.lbl.org/Home.html - broken link)

Here's a write-up about the places within an hour or so from Memphis where hiking is popular Hiking in Your Backyard (http://www.outdoorsinc.com/Go-Outdoors/allarticles/hiking-in-your-backyard.cfm - broken link)

Of course, I'm sure you're already aware of the plentiful hiking opportunities in the Smokies. It's an easy 6 hour drive from Memphis.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 AM

100 posts, read 460,640 times
Arkansas rivers vary from mild tubing rivers (11 point) to class IV (Cossatot) for canoing or kayaking, there are many, many great floats! there are many river websites, here is one
River fishing - Arkansas river rafting - Arkansas rivers (http://www.arkansas.com/lakes-rivers/rivers_intro.asp - broken link)

Last edited by tomterr; 09-06-2007 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis