U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

I've read a TON of these threads but am still having trouble here. I apologize for clogging up the board.

In June, I will be moving to Memphis to live with my boyfriend of ~7 years. I am a soon-to-be college grad... with a theater major. So, I have a few questions.

1. My boyfriend has lived in Memphis all of his life. He is mid-twenties and works in Southaven. Because of this, we need to live somewhere that makes his commute not-suck (but not in Southaven itself, because I need in-state tuition for grad school in TN). He makes ~23k a year after taxes & works third shift. Normally, he'd be looking for places, but he's stuck working 12-16 hour shifts right now because of a manager loss, so that's why I've come to you guys!

2. I need a job! I know that a theater major is not the most marketable, but I went to liberal arts school so I have slew of other skills that I think could make me a valuable employee. BF says he could help get me a job where he works, where I would make ~21k a year after taxes & also work third shift. I'm wondering if there might be any other employment options open for me, or if anyone has any ideas of where I might apply? I realize that I am applying early since I can't be down there until June, but I really want to get a job secured!

With these incomes in mind, as well as the location, do you guys know of any apartment complexes that would be the best place for us to live? I'm not looking for fancy, I just need SAFETY above all other things. Second to that is bugs. Ick.

Sorry this is so long. I have visited Memphis many many times over these past 7 years and have come to love it in my own way, but I won't lie and say I'm not incredibly nervous! Thank you all for your help.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM

51 posts, read 95,041 times
UM ia pretty good. Not sure about apartments. It would be best to live in
east memphis/germantown, BUT your boyfriend might have to drive for a little while. SORRY.Or,you could live in midtown and your boyfriend could take the MLK freeway all the way (literally) into Southaven.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 AM

190 posts, read 621,194 times
Try the Preserve at Forest Hill, right off Interstate 385. Fifteen minutes to Southaven, 30 minutes to downtown Memphis.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,218,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minamimicarter View Post
I've read a TON of these threads but am still having trouble here. I apologize for clogging up the board.

In June, I will be moving to Memphis to live with my boyfriend of ~7 years. I am a soon-to-be college grad... with a theater major. So, I have a few questions.

1. My boyfriend has lived in Memphis all of his life. He is mid-twenties and works in Southaven. Because of this, we need to live somewhere that makes his commute not-suck (but not in Southaven itself, because I need in-state tuition for grad school in TN). He makes ~23k a year after taxes & works third shift. Normally, he'd be looking for places, but he's stuck working 12-16 hour shifts right now because of a manager loss, so that's why I've come to you guys!

2. I need a job! I know that a theater major is not the most marketable, but I went to liberal arts school so I have slew of other skills that I think could make me a valuable employee. BF says he could help get me a job where he works, where I would make ~21k a year after taxes & also work third shift. I'm wondering if there might be any other employment options open for me, or if anyone has any ideas of where I might apply? I realize that I am applying early since I can't be down there until June, but I really want to get a job secured!

With these incomes in mind, as well as the location, do you guys know of any apartment complexes that would be the best place for us to live? I'm not looking for fancy, I just need SAFETY above all other things. Second to that is bugs. Ick.

Sorry this is so long. I have visited Memphis many many times over these past 7 years and have come to love it in my own way, but I won't lie and say I'm not incredibly nervous! Thank you all for your help.
Location wise, I would suggest somewhere in East Memphis or Midtown for a young professional. Downtown ideally, just because of things to do. Commute-wise, the interstate system in the Memphis area is pretty good and quick. For perspective, it's not unusual to take the interstate from G'town/Hacks Cross to downtown/medical center in 20 minutes during morning rush hour (maybe slightly before).

I can't help too much with jobs, but there is a growing community of the arts, both visual and performance. It may provide potential (mid to long term) to get in or even create your own. You're probably already aware of it, but pretty soon Overton Square will become the theater district in Memphis. I think when organizations cluster themselves, the synergy creates opportunities for the industry. I hope that will be the case over there, and if so, hopefully that will help you out.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,893,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minamimicarter View Post

Midtown. You can get a nice apt or Guesthouse and Southaven is just down the expressway. Midtown is where the arts are as well as South Main. Sears Crosstown is also supposed to have a block set aside for an artist colony. This will be down the road but good for the future.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM

410 posts, read 738,903 times
haha. I have no idea what I said to get removed, but I second midtown. Actually anywhere between midtown and downtown and near the I240 midtown loop will get you to southaven.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 AM

268 posts, read 705,626 times
Midtown would be good for you, as odd as it may sound, there are a LOT of theaters in town...you could be a
projectionist. KIDDING. I know that most of these theaters operate like community theaters, but I am sure they
have paid positions in most of them. All I know is there are much worse towns for theater majors in the US.
Midtown is good for roundabout ways to get to MS. There are 3-4 routes, which is critical in a trafficky town.
Might also be the cheapest rent alternative, at least among places you could tolerate. Upstairs duplex near me, I think
it is $650 and very decent....don't have the number on me at present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>