Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:14 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times

Advertisements

GrittyKitty, I'm going to send you a PM here in a bit. Thanks for taking the time to post on the thread. We didn't venture very often into the northeastern areas inside the 240 loop. (We were only there 2 days, and there was soo much to cover!) From what I can see of your area on Google maps, it looks nice!

One of the things I like about Memphis is its progressive attitude. I know this forum is chock full of people that argue about this point, but from what I can see, having visited once and having done quite a bit of media research over the past few months, there is a lot of positive activity in Memphis. That is practically unheard of in my area of Tennessee (Tri-Cities) where suggesting a road diet will get you marched to the chopping block. (On a side note, Johnson City is planning an extensive rails-to-trails project similar to the Greenline!)

Anyway. Off to that PM. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:58 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
Agree with your post and especially this comment. I had been reading this board for a few weeks before I made the trek to Memphis and came away with a much higher impression of the city than some residents on this forum. Maybe it is just a case of unhappy people being the loudest?
Yes. Some people would be miserable anywhere, though they're sure the problem is everyone else.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
...Audobon, Colonial and Eastgate were our favorite parts of the city, though. I was initially set on trying to find a rental in the Midtown area, but after having left the city I'm trying to find a condo or townhouse for rent out this direction. Our jobs will be at Target and Fresh Market, so this area would be really convenient to those stores, to the university and to Germantown.

On the big neighborhoods map that's posted in this forum, all of Cordova is colored purple. I'm sure there are dicey areas in there, but everything that we saw and drove through was pretty nice. Just judging from what we saw in a drive-by, I wouldn't mind living there. ....

All in all, we've decided to make the move. Memphis looked like a great, dynamic city. There was a lot of hustle and bustle, and the city was working on many projects...
Welcome to reality!

East Memphis has a lot going for it. That would be Eastgate, etc. If you want a straigter shot westward, fewer stop lights and less traffic, take Walnut Grove Rd. If you haven't already, you'll also notice it's just a beautiful drive. Then left on Goodlet, across Poplar, right on Central and you're on the north side of the U of M campus.

Cordova? It's a very suburban feel. I'm not sure why anyone would think it was a bad area. The drive to the U of M would be farther and cost you more gasoline, a bigger consideration these days, unfortunately.

Memphis is a dynamic city and beautiful one with some of the nicest people you'll ever have the privilege to meet. If you decide to move, you'll enjoy living here.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
bjh, thanks for the post I've noticed a lot of rental classifieds posting "east memphis" when in reality they mean Hickory Hill. Glad to know that East Memphis is really the greater Eastgate area. That's what I had thought, but was getting confused!

Everyone in Memphis was really nice, from the hotel staff to the wait staff at restaurants (one of whom gave us several apartment recommendations!). I think, of course, that it comes down to treating people nicely in the first place. I know that over here in Appalachia, if you come in and talk to people like they're idiots, you won't get much nice back. Just trying to fit into Memphis, not fit Memphis around myself.

I actually don't think we made it to Walnut Grove road. We ran out of time and didn't get out to Shelby Farms We're planning another trip down, probably in mid June, but we're hoping to find a place and sign the lease then. So stressful! Hopefully we'll find something good though.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM

139 posts, read 310,978 times
This has been one of the fairest threads on Memphis. Memphis has a lot of Lot's wife posters meaning that even though they have moved away they keep looking back instead of looking forward. Apparently, even the ills of their past Memphis life is better than their present life.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM

188 posts, read 550,775 times
Quote:
Sillykriss, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm 8 hours away - any tips on identifying what new apartments you're talking about?

Since I posted in this thread, I've found several new complexes in Midtown and Mud Island that we're considering instead of Centennial Gardens. I agree that it's a little close to the heart of Hickory Hill plus it's just a huge complex anyway... always lots of issues in those.
If you're considering Downtown, I recommend that you look into South Bluffs. We lived there for six months while we looked for a house. It was a short walk to the restaurants and bars on South Main and to the Memphis Farmers Market. It was a great introduction to Memphis. We're in Central Gardens now, and just love Midtown. Good luck with your move!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 PM
bjh

Quote:
bjh, thanks for the post I've noticed a lot of rental classifieds posting "east memphis" when in reality they mean Hickory Hill. Glad to know that East Memphis is really the greater Eastgate area. That's what I had thought, but was getting confused!

Everyone in Memphis was really nice, from the hotel staff to the wait staff at restaurants (one of whom gave us several apartment recommendations!). I think, of course, that it comes down to treating people nicely in the first place. I know that over here in Appalachia, if you come in and talk to people like they're idiots, you won't get much nice back. Just trying to fit into Memphis, not fit Memphis around myself.

I actually don't think we made it to Walnut Grove road. We ran out of time and didn't get out to Shelby Farms We're planning another trip down, probably in mid June, but we're hoping to find a place and sign the lease then. So stressful! Hopefully we'll find something good though.
Hickory Hill is definitely not "East Memphis," or at least not what I mean. Hickory Hill is really south east of the 240 loop so you could say it's eastern Memphis, geographically. I think of true East Memphis as being within the loop.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM

51 posts, read 101,684 times
move almost anywhere eles except s florida . (and mabe some parts of north memphis).

Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,750 times
Quote:
GrittyKitty, I'm going to send you a PM here in a bit. Thanks for taking the time to post on the thread. We didn't venture very often into the northeastern areas inside the 240 loop. (We were only there 2 days, and there was soo much to cover!) From what I can see of your area on Google maps, it looks nice!

One of the things I like about Memphis is its progressive attitude. I know this forum is chock full of people that argue about this point, but from what I can see, having visited once and having done quite a bit of media research over the past few months, there is a lot of positive activity in Memphis. That is practically unheard of in my area of Tennessee (Tri-Cities) where suggesting a road diet will get you marched to the chopping block. (On a side note, Johnson City is planning an extensive rails-to-trails project similar to the Greenline!)

Anyway. Off to that PM. Thanks.
If you need anything on Midtown or Downtown you can PM and I'll give you as much help as I can with it. I live in an area called Crosstown, it's between Midtown and Downtown. It got forgotten about even thought one the biggest buildings in Memphis is in the area, but now that's changing and its on the upswing. Anyway, if you need any help let me know.

Last edited by knucklehead_vol; 03-23-2012 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis