Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:23 AM

79 posts, read 422,752 times

Advertisements

This isn't difficult.

Downtown, Midtown and East Memphis are the safest areas of the city.

Frayser, Raleigh, Whitehaven, South Memphis, North Memphis, Parkway Village/Fox Meadows and Hickory Hill are not safe.

One thing about North Memphis- the oldest section of North Memphis (closest to Downtown and the Mississippi River) is in the midst of a total reconstruction. This is the area now known as "Uptown". This area used to be home to probably the poorest and most violent part of the city. It is totally getting transformed into something much, much nicer.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:35 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,823 times
Default highliner

Am I the only one here who knows that bbq'ed camel tastes every bit as good, as camel-on-the-hoof smells?! Please don't ever mention camel and barbecue in the same sentence!

Old 03-04-2007, 01:54 PM

16 posts, read 90,270 times
jimbob, I'd look into lakeland if I were you. It's cheaper than Germantown, Collierville and getting to the airport is pretty simple from there.

Neidralee, Take it from me, you don't want to buy rental properties in Memphis. I own 9 properties in some shady areas Orange Mound, Raleigh, etc. Very hard to get tenants who actually pay their rent. There's a mentality in Memphis of beating the system. People move in and pay their first months rent and then see how long they can go without paying before they get kicked out. If you can get a section 8 tenant you could be okay though. Avoid streets named after states, for some reason those seem to be the bad areas.

If you still want to buy rental properties join the Memphis Investors Group it's large and very active. If you buy in areas were housing is around the 100k mark you should fair a little better with tenants. If you want houses in bad areas for around 50K I have 9 I want to get rid of

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 30,690 times
JMS Tiger had it pretty much right.

If you follow Poplar Blvd from way out east until a little west of Overton Park, you would likely be ok. Just don't go a half mile north or south of Poplar.

Yes, there are exceptions. You must drive each neighborhood. It really does change in a few blocks. I live in East Buntyn Historical district, my neighborhood and the exclusive Chickasaw Gardens are literally just north of the tracks from the infamous Orange Mound.

You can go from a diamond to a turd in a heartbeat here.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 26,075 times
I'm considering moving to Memphis and wonder why you say not near the airport?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:36 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
Default Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweme View Post
I'm considering moving to Memphis and wonder why you say not near the airport?
If you ever watch the show "The First 48" you'll notice that they almost always have an episode in Memphis. Most of those episodes are within a 10 min drive to the airport. It is probably one of the worst places you could possibly live in Memphis. And, personally, I've been to Baghdad and I think it's safer around there than that part of Memphis.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,258 times
is the crime situation getting any better? or does these seem like its going to be a long term thing?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:04 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times
Crime has been bad here for many decades. It's not going to get any better anytime soon. It's going to take a complete overhaul of the school system, the government, the employment front, the homeless situation, etc etc to get anything started. And that's not going to happen in my lifetime.

The problem is that many people grow up here poor...their parents were poor...their grandparents were poor...etc etc and people just don't care to better their lives. They live among poor people and they have little desire to change their lives from "sort of okay" to "really good." Plus, the school system here is so bad, that most kids graduate with probably an equivalent of a 6th grade education (if they graduate). All of these things create kids who committ crimes...and then adults who committ crime.

You can go on forever about this topic, but bottom line is that no one here really seems to care enough to better their situations, so no, it's not going to get better anytime soon. People are content with mediocracy here.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 AM

39 posts, read 289,384 times
I agree with Pearlbob, but just want to add one thing. Maybe the adults don't care, but for the children that are growing up in these situations, I don't think they know HOW to change. This is all they know. They have no role models to show them a better way. It's up to people like us to get involved, mentor, tutor, teach, etc. There aren't enough people trying to make a difference. It's not enough to just move to the burbs and complain about how bad Memphis is.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,371,912 times
Yes, I agree with that. Kids don't know any different, and by the time they grow up they have a hatred of the "haves" because they are in the "have nots." It's a cycle; it should be the parents responsibility to do everything they can to better their kids lives, or at least teach them that they can make their lives better by going to school, working hard, etc...and they can be in the "haves" group later. But, parents don't tell their kids that. It's very sad. I think that's why so many kids commit crimes; they realize as teens that there is an entire world they aren't privy to and they feel they need to get back at them, or take from the rich to get back at the world for their crummy lives. It's easier to steal than to work hard and earn something yourself.

It's hard to try and educate people like this. They see you as one of "them" and they don't want to listen. "What do you know about my life" is what I have heard many times. I've worked with underprivledged kids, and the young kids are great; the parents are horrible. They look at you with distrust, hatred, and closed ears. Once the kids become teens they are looking at you like that too. It's a very hard group to work with, and it's very exhausting mentally. I think that most people have just given up here in Memphis, move out to the burbs, say it's not their problem. I understand that completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis