Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:46 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
OK now you guys are making me homesick for Memphis! When the sun starts to set and the buildings in downtown Memphis start to reflect the setting sun, it really is a spectacular sight to behold.

Back to some of the earlier posts: I always loved driving along the Parkways. East Parkway around the Madison, Poplar and Union intersections (and that big M landscaped into the slope) is just beautiful. And North Parkway headed past Rhodes College and then around the hauntingly beautiful old Sears Crosstown tower, my gosh that's a nice drive, too.

I mean seriously, in how many other cities can you say that a ROAD is beautiful?

Kabluey, your description of Riverside Drive gave me goosebumps! I always loved that, how you continue going straight after the I-55 split, you go over a hill, and BAM there's the Mighty Mississippi in all its glory spread out for you and downtown Memphis proudly perched above it all. And speaking of downtown Memphis, does it have some cool old buildings or what?

Mjpinto, I am thrilled that you are having such a good experience in Memphis! I would seriously move back tomorrow if I could. And Pearlbob is right, if you think downtown Memphis is dead now, you should've seen it 10 years ago. I also concur with tennreb, Grace-St Luke's is an excellent choice for your son. It also happens to be in another incredibly beautiful Memphis neighborhood, Central Gardens. When you go drop off your son at school, you'll probably want to just wander around that part of town (if you haven't already).

BTW, I used to live in Atlanta, too. I would MUCH rather live in Memphis. Next May, take advantage of all the wonderful Memphis in May activities, especially the BBQ cookoff and the Sunset Symphony. In July go to the Memphis Symphony's July 4th pops concert at the botanic garden. And all summer long, hop on the trolley and take your family to see old movies at the fabulous Orpheum Theatre downtown.
Memphis certainly has some beautiful roads. I guess the New Orleans influenced grand boulevards filtered up to Memphis. Atlanta has no attractive roads. It's main street (Peachtree) has nice buildings but no trees hanging over the street and a horrible infrastructure. Memphis and New Orleans are the only cities in the South I've seen with beautiful streets. Maybe Charleston does too, but I've never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM

232 posts, read 795,981 times
You guys are going to make me cry. I'm starting to swell up with pride for my fair city.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:20 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Little Rock has some very nice streets. They have a bit of an advantage with the rolling hills and all.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM

232 posts, read 795,981 times
Overlook Dr. in LR has some very beautiful scenery as your driving along the bluffs over looking the river. There are trees closing in on both sides letting in broken rays of sunlight. It's a really great sight.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:54 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiepilex View Post
Overlook Dr. in LR has some very beautiful scenery as your driving along the bluffs over looking the river. There are trees closing in on both sides letting in broken rays of sunlight. It's a really great sight.
No grand boulevards from what I've seen, though.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,359 times
I looked into the Bartlett area myself, and went to the Great Schools web site and found the school system there was not rated well. All around. My family and I are looking at the Collierville, Lakeland and Arlington area. Better schools.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpinto View Post
I haven't read through all of hte posts but wanted to answer your question in your post Title.

After much research and dread - we are finally living in Memphis. I read such horrible things about this place and I was NOT looking forward to moving here. We lived in Atlanta for 8 years and we hated it. There was a lot of racial tension and people always seemed so unfriendly.

We have been here for a few weeks and I can honestly say I love it. We live on Mud Island which is as cute as can be. The area is beautiful. We often go downtown to eat and to walk around and people have been so nice and friendly. I am surprised at how empty downtown Memphis is. I grew up in Philadelphia and am used to the downtown area always being a busy place full of lots of people and cars. So far we have not seen that here. And it's a pretty clean city as far as down town areas go.

And the food here is great. Lots of restaurants to choose from. Lots of southern charm. Where as Atlanta always felt like the backward south (for lack of a better term - sorry) Memphis seems like old southern hospitality.

My point is - don't believe everything you hear. Do your own research first. Visit - look around. And have a positive attitude. If you think you won't like it here - you probably won't.

Like I said we were so nervous about moving here after our experience in Atlanta. We decided we were going to look at the positive of this place vs the things we don't like. It is working out for us so far in the short time we've been here. We are starting to look into private schools. My son is going to the Montessori school (preschool) here in Harbor Town. And I feel confident that we will find something suitable for grade school for him close by as well. I can see staying here for a long time.

We moved from NH (where my husband grew up) and we're pleasantly surprised. I hope you will be too!
Thanks for your impressions!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:24 AM

56 posts, read 63,545 times
I see a few people here blowin' smoke. Memphis lacks diversity. And please don't mention Midtown. I personally enjoy Midtown's flavor but it only accounts for a small part of the city. Now Bartlett, Collierville, Arlington, Germantown, and parts of Cordova are all nice. Don't be fooled by downtown either. There's a bum lurking around every corner. Especially at night. I don't sense this genuine kindness in Memphians either. Of all the other choices out there why choose Memphis??? I'm still trying to see what it has to offer. And crime here is a whole other topic.

To Pearlbob, dude, I remember you saying you plan on eventually moving away. I hope you keep that focus. Based on your comments, you seem like you have your good and bad days here. It's always business as usual here so don't kid yourself into thinking it will be getting better anytime soon. Follow your gut instinct. You're young. Get out before you've wasted your youth here.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by london1979 View Post
I see a few people here blowin' smoke. Memphis lacks diversity. And please don't mention Midtown. I personally enjoy Midtown's flavor but it only accounts for a small part of the city. Now Bartlett, Collierville, Arlington, Germantown, and parts of Cordova are all nice. Don't be fooled by downtown either. There's a bum lurking around every corner. Especially at night. I don't sense this genuine kindness in Memphians either. Of all the other choices out there why choose Memphis??? I'm still trying to see what it has to offer. And crime here is a whole other topic.

To Pearlbob, dude, I remember you saying you plan on eventually moving away. I hope you keep that focus. Based on your comments, you seem like you have your good and bad days here. It's always business as usual here so don't kid yourself into thinking it will be getting better anytime soon. Follow your gut instinct. You're young. Get out before you've wasted your youth here.

I'm young? That's news to me. Dude, I've lived here a long time. Memphis had negatives and positives. IF I miraculously was offered a higher salary than what I make here in another city, I would think about moving. But as of now, my life is grounded here, and I'm fine with that. You have to make the most of what you have, and quit whining. If you hate something so much, leave. If that is your focus in life, leave. It's not mine. But thanks for the warning

Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 AM

56 posts, read 63,545 times
Thought you were young like me. And who's whining? I've quoted you before saying you wanted to leave. Thought I was offering encouraging words. But I guess you're okay with mediocrity now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis