Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 AM

468 posts, read 785,746 times

Advertisements

One of my interests is in the history of Memphis neighborhoods, and how they have changed over the years. In most cases, neighborhoods that were originally all-white are now all-black, or very close to it. One interesting neighborhood is centered around the Gethsemane Garden Church of God in Christ:

Vollintine Hills Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are black and live in this neighborhood, your neighborhood was originally built for Orthodox Jewish Memphians who could be within walking distance of the old Baron Hirsch Synagogue.
Another clue as to whether or not a black neighborhood was once white is by its churches. You can often tell which church was orginally built for a white congregation by the way it looks. The stereotypical white Protestant church is built with brick, has columns in front and a tall, pointed steeple, like the Whitehaven United Methodist Church:

Google Maps

I just found a link to an article about the church that appreared in the Commercial Appeal in 2009:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...weet-solution/

If you are a black Memphian living in a once all-white neighborhood, I'd like to know. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM

845 posts, read 2,541,556 times
With Memphis being segregated, for the most part, up to the 1960s I would imagine there are many formerly "all white", or better stated "white only" neighborhoods that are now mostly black. I wonder which areas of Memphis and Shelby County were formerly all black, but now heavily populated by white residents?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
With Memphis being segregated, for the most part, up to the 1960s I would imagine there are many formerly "all white", or better stated "white only" neighborhoods that are now mostly black. I wonder which areas of Memphis and Shelby County were formerly all black, but now heavily populated by white residents?

As Memphis expanded, and when people moved out of Memphis, they moved into rural areas that had black settlements. The best way to tell where they were is to look for an old black church (M.B., A.M.E., C.M.E, etc.) and cemetery in the suburbs. Here is the website for the New Shelby M.B. Church on the north side of Collierville. Although the building is relatively new, the congregation has been there since the 1870s, according to the history link:

http://newshelbymbchurch.com/main.html?src=%2F

God bless,

CKB

Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 PM

263 posts, read 613,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I think that Arlington once had a more sizable African American population. I don't know if it was ever majority-AA, but there was a sizable AA population there at one point -- obviously very rural and agriculture-focused. (Arlington was, as I understand it, once much more akin to Mason, Covington, and even Brownsville than to Memphis and the other suburban communities.)

Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Arlington was never even mentioned as a suburb of Memphis while I was growing up in the '70s and '80s. People knew about Lakeland because of the pool and water park, but Germantown was the premier suburb, with Raleigh and Bartlett coming in next. Collierville was considered WAY out of town and not a suburb or exurb at all.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Another long-ago white neighborhood in Memphis was in south Memphis, centered on Trigg Avenue. The old St. Thomas Catholic Church and Convent were there until closing in 1965. The church has been used by black Protestant congregations, but may be vacant now. The complex is on Tennessee's National Register of Historic Places:

East Trigg Avenue, Memphis, TN - Google Maps

God bless,

CKB

Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM

139 posts, read 311,010 times
From stories my father has told me about growing up in North Memphis during the 40s & 50s, it was actually more integrated neighborhood wise than it is now. How there were two white families that lived on his block and around the corner was a "white" street. That the black and white families interacted with each other as neighbors. Of course, there was very little socialization beyond that, i.e. schools, churches, etc. School integration resulted in whites moving out faster than Usain Bolt running the 100 meter dash. To this day, you can see the obvious differences between where the whites and blacks lived even though the neighborhood is completely black. Fifty+ years later, not much has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis