Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 AM

28 posts, read 38,169 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about the crime in vollintine evergreen area, specifically around jackson and stonewall/Maury area. All I can find is statistics from 2009, I was wanting a more recent opinion of the area. What do you think of this area, would it be a safe area for a single female to live? What is the main kind of crime that happens in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 AM

188 posts, read 551,016 times
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the Commercial Appeal crime tracker seems like a good tool for showing crimes for a certain time period: Memphis Crime Tracker - crime.commercialappeal.com We used it to track the crimes for the last year for the different areas we were considering during our house hunt. The VECA website might also be a good resource for you: Vollintine Evergreen Community Association VECA They seem to have a strong neighborhood association. We decided against living in the area due to safety concerns, but we also have a young child. Hopefully there are people who know the area better who can comment.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klost View Post
I was wondering about the crime in vollintine evergreen area, specifically around jackson and stonewall/Maury area. All I can find is statistics from 2009, I was wanting a more recent opinion of the area. What do you think of this area, would it be a safe area for a single female to live? What is the main kind of crime that happens in this area?

I have several friends in that area, one lives near Jackson and Angelus and another lives at the very end of Stonewall north of Jackson. No problems from either and both houses have kids. Not saying there is not crime, but just beware of your surrounds like every other place in the country and you'll enjoy the area.

I live down the street closer to the Sears Crosstown and it's safe. Also, from what I understand, there should be an announcement on the Sears Crosstown within a few months. Prepare to be excited if you move in the area.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Can you give an approximate address (or crossroads) for Sears Crosstown? I keep seeing references but I don't really know where this area is located. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It's the gigantic building at N. Watkins/Cleveland and North Parkway.

Near Autumn and across the street from Galloway.

http://www.mallofmemphis.org/Main/SearsCrosstown

Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,005 times
Here's another...
Crosstown Arts

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,241 times
I grew up in that area and I never had a bad experience. I will say there is more foot traffic then in other parts of the city but it's not people pulling their guns out and robbing you. There is a higher percentage of African-Americans in this area and some who don't know any better assume this means more crime but it doesn't. Poverty brings crime, not color.

Come on. We'd love to have you.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM

268 posts, read 744,036 times
I think what cpink said is true. I have direct knowledge of the area, and while there is a lot of foot traffic that goes from Jackson to who knows where,
this is not a hot spot for crime in Memphis. It is very well patrolled by the police and it features one of the most diverse melting pots
of people that you can find in the city. It is mostly well-kept, and it seems that pride is a little contagious in that most people try to keep
their property looking decent. Jackson is a rough street if you look out the window of a car driving by, lots of people seem to have the job of
walking around with wine or beer and the jobs market seems brisk, lol. But most of what they are looking for is right there, they don't usually
need to go into the nearby neighborhoods looking for trouble. If you are a single girl you would need a dog I think, if you want to keep your stuff,
but who doesn't love dogs? I have lived there for 8 years, and in another part of midtown for another 7 and only had a lawn mower stolen.
You could do much worse in Memphis. The main type of crime would be petty theft, maybe some burglary. THIS IS the edge of the neighborhood
as far as criminal element is concerned though....from Maury it would be best to look to the east. PM me if you need direct info. There is not
too much rental in the Stonewall area south of N. Parkway, maybe some efficiencies or duplexes. The northern end of stonewall is not somewhere
I would look.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Nothing north of Jackson Ave

Old 08-18-2015, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,587 times
Default Safty issues

I have owned a home directly in that area for 15+ years and we have come a long way in safety!
I have raised a child here. We all try to exchange phone numbers and with the Greenway running right by us there is almost always folks out and about with children.
This IS a sprawling city,so it pays to use common sense.

I love Memphis especially Midtown

Hope to meet you soon!

I am female .I live alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis