U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 06:04 PM

120 posts, read 440,401 times

Advertisements

How is the Kettering Dr street/neighborhood?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 PM

774 posts, read 2,464,745 times
This is in Countrywood, the most established subdivision in Cordova. It's very nice. This is the interior part of the subdivision to boot, so congestion and traffic on the street isn't a concern. Now the major street that runs adjacent to Countrywood - Germantown Pkwy - is one of the most congested roads in the county. There's a big mall, the typical strip-mall (with Old Navy, Home Depot, etc), a Costco and a couple of big churches right there. The neighborhood itself is very quiet and is still nice. The property values have fallen in the last few years because of the annexation but the neighborhood is still nice. (I'm out there very often because my parents live there.)

Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 PM

202 posts, read 555,834 times
We originally were looking at Countrywood when we were looking last month, but due to what we had read about Cordova crime and taxes we decided to get out of that area and moved to Arlington. We are very glad we did. Not sure if you are buying or renting though, but if you are buying check Arlington and Lakeland out, the houses are a bit more but taxes are much lower so it equals out.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:44 AM

For right now, we can't afford the Arlington area.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:31 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,025,053 times
What in the world did you read about 'Cordova crime'? We must be reading very different sources.

To the OP -- Countrywood is a good neighborhood. Unfortunately, it has become a haven for foreclosures. There are nearly 600 bank owned homes in the 38016 (mostly Countrywood) area right now and at least 300 others facing foreclosure. We've seen what a high rate of foreclosures can do to a neighborhood (witness Hickory Hill and Messick-Buntyn), so the Countrywood neighborhood association is going to have to step up and say enough's enough.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM

Strum,

Are you saying there is or isn't a worry about crime in Cordova? (I know crime exists everywhere, so hopefully you understood my ?)
It is sad, but foreclosures are happening everywhere now-a-days.

We're checking the home out this weekend, but can anyone give me a general idea as to where it is? I'm somewhat familiar with the area close to Red Robin and by Houston Levee rd.

From what I've seen in Cordova (just from visiting) it isn't bad at alll! Friends of ours live in a newer section in Cordova (out pass Houston Levee) and it is very nice (and safe)!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM

3,371 posts, read 12,757,055 times
Cordova is not bad. When you think of Memphis crime, Cordova does not come to mind. However, I can see it changing drastically over 10 years. There seems to have been a lot of smaller, cheaper homes built there. At first, you have good families moving in, but over time those families move out and the area can turn bad. Not gangs and drive bys, but just the quality of people who look for small starter homes may not be the best. Because you have honest to goodness families looking for a starter home, and then you have a family packing 5 kids into a 2 bed room house.

Not all of Cordova is like that, of course. The closer you get to the commercial areas, the more likely you are to see this I think. Hickory Hill is a good example of what Cordova COULD turn into, as strumpeace mentioned. HH was a great family area, mid-sized homes for regular working-class people, and it became over-run with the wrong type of people and is now a horrible area to live in. It used to be one of the best areas of Memphis, with the old huge mall, tons of shopping and restaurants, etc.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:03 PM

202 posts, read 555,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
What in the world did you read about 'Cordova crime'? We must be reading very different sources.

To the OP -- Countrywood is a good neighborhood. Unfortunately, it has become a haven for foreclosures. There are nearly 600 bank owned homes in the 38016 (mostly Countrywood) area right now and at least 300 others facing foreclosure. We've seen what a high rate of foreclosures can do to a neighborhood (witness Hickory Hill and Messick-Buntyn), so the Countrywood neighborhood association is going to have to step up and say enough's enough.
I was told to check school crime reports and that crime in Cordova had gone up since being incorporated into Memphis proper. In checking crime rates we decided against Cordova for that reason and for tax reasons. We are very happy with our choice.

To the OP what is your price range? We have a new development here with houses starting in the low 200's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis