Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 PM

9 posts, read 13,694 times

Advertisements

Hi, I may be moving to Memphis to work at the VA Hospital. If so, I don't want a long commute. I've been told Midtown and Mud Island would be my best bet but that Midtown areas are hit and miss for safety. I'm looking to spend a $1,000 on a two bedroom (hoping for a townhome). I've been through all your threads and I see it's been repeated over and over to name some streets or intersections and that you guys would be willing to give some feedback so here goes:
1. 1600s Parktown Place
2. 2200s Brewer's Landing
3. 2000s Piedmont Ave
4. any of Philadelphia Street
5. 2200s Evelyn Ave.
6. 1600s Regent Park

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM

410 posts, read 802,938 times
Welcome. I know of Evelyn Avenue. I grew up in the 1900 block. It was right off Barksdale near Central Ave. The 2200 block gets you closer to the Cooper Young area which is very desirable. There are plenty of great restaurants and some attractions in the area. If you could find a garage apartment on Peabody, that would be ideal. Not only is it a magnificent street, you could be at work in 10 minutes.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 PM

thank you very much. off the subject, what are some of your favorite restaurants in Memphis?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl.armybrat View Post
thank you very much. off the subject, what are some of your favorite restaurants in Memphis?
Soulfish
Central BBQ
Saigon Le
Gus's
Fuel
Memphis Pizza Cafe
Broadway Pizza
DO
Bogies

Probably my favorite...
Trolley Stop Cafe

Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 AM

410 posts, read 802,938 times
Love the Trolly Stop. Had pizza there Wednesday night. As mentioned, favorite BBQ is Central BBQ. We're closer to the one on Summer, but I do believe the original on Central is best. For Italian we like Lavoros over on summer and sycamore view. They also have excellent pizza. For Mexican we find ourselves going back time and again to La Guadalupana on Summer near Mendenhall. We like Castle Restaurant on Park for Gyros. They also have awesome Philly's. Lotus on summer for the best Vietnamese. But be prepared to wait a bit for your meal. it's worth it. Sakura on West Street for sushi. I'm still a Formosa fan for Chinese. For breakfast we tend to head over to the Pancake Shop on Summer. But you have to eat at brother Junipers over by the U of M at least once. Fino's is our favorite deli, but the Sub Shop on Highland is a very close 2nd. Their bread has a sweet taste that really kicks off their sandwiches. Don't miss Young Avenue Deli in cooper/young. Their fries are great. Republic Coffee on Walnut Grove is our favorite coffee shop and they have great food. Deserts is mixed. We love Jerry's snow cones. They make killer burgers and tamales, but call ahead and order. The best kept secret for ice cream and hands down our favorite in all of Memphis is La Michoacana on Summer. Hand made and absolutely fantastic. When we're up for decadence in sweets, we head downtown for a slice of heaven at The Cheesecake Corner on GE Patterson.

That's about all my brain can conjure up at the moment. lol

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks. What do you know or think about Legends Park, Quimby Place, and University Place apartments?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl.armybrat View Post
Thanks. What do you know or think about Legends Park, Quimby Place, and University Place apartments?

No to Legends Park. Not sure about Quimby but I can take a look if you want, it's about 3 blocks from me. No to University Place. Your gonna think this is funny, but Legends and University Place are the 'projects', or replaced them anyway. But you get the idea.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Also there are some nice houses for rent in Evergreen. It's a bike ride to the VA.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM

thank you for the responses. I truly appreciate them.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 PM

I will check Trulia and Zillow for homes on Evergreen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis