U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 AM

183 posts, read 766,117 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what opinions are on the area of Germantown, south of Poplar -- like around Hacks Cross and Poplar Pike where the train passes.

Looking at buying a home and wondered if this is a good area. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:54 AM

410 posts, read 748,227 times
I lived not too far from that area. We were north of Hacks Cross and south of Poplar. It was an awesome place to live. The area right around Hacks Cross and Poplar Pike is very nice. There are all shapes and sizes of homes and the prices are good and most assuredly negotiable. I will say this . . the train whistle will be loud. If you don't mind that, then you will be ok. When we went to sell our home, one of the most frequently asked questions was: "Can you hear the train?" It will take someone who doesn't mind the noise for sure. So if you are ok with that, you will enjoy the area. As for shopping . . . you're close to Winchester where there's most everything you need. We shopped at that Kroger on Winchester and found it to be a very nice and clean store. You're not far from 385 so you can be downtown pretty fast. Or, you can be in Collierville in a matter of minutes. I think it's a great area.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Great info. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

We're actually looking in that same area -- south of Poplar, just north of the train tracks, near Hacks Cross. However, our agent mentioned that the area just south of there in Germantown has a lot of homes that are rented and her concern was more about resale and that area being very close by -- literally just on the other side of the train tracks. She also pointed out that we should try to stay away from Winchester. Any thoughts on all of this?

Also, over the course of our house hunt, several people have told us not to buy south of Poplar in any area of town. I'm not sure I understand why, as some of the areas seem so wonderful. Why does this seem to be a concern to people? I'm very curious.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 AM

Depending on the price, I would consider Sweet Oaks subdivision if anything is for sale as well as home in the Oakleigh subdivision. Those homes are probably built in the early 80's, but have great "bones" if you will. Also, if you start from Oakleigh Avenue (Street, Road, I can't recall which) on Poplar Pike, heading west to Hacks Cross, there are plenty of great neighborhoods just north of Poplar Pike and south of Poplar. That gives you the best of all worlds. Easy access to Poplar Pike and Poplar.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 AM

Any other opinions on the Poplar Pike / Hacks Cross area in Germantown (not Memphis)?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM

There is a cool street off Poplar Pike just east of Hacks Cross called Honey Tree. At the end of the street is a wonderful park that used to be a Civil War post. There is an in there that used to be a lookout for the union army. You can stand there and when the train rolls by get a feeling for what the soldiers were watching for. It's pretty cool and the houses in the area are very reasonable.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 AM

845 posts, read 2,407,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyBlu View Post
Great info. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

We're actually looking in that same area -- south of Poplar, just north of the train tracks, near Hacks Cross. However, our agent mentioned that the area just south of there in Germantown has a lot of homes that are rented and her concern was more about resale and that area being very close by -- literally just on the other side of the train tracks. She also pointed out that we should try to stay away from Winchester. Any thoughts on all of this?

Also, over the course of our house hunt, several people have told us not to buy south of Poplar in any area of town. I'm not sure I understand why, as some of the areas seem so wonderful. Why does this seem to be a concern to people? I'm very curious.

//www.city-data.com/forum/memph...-matter-2.html

There is an old thread about this related to Collierville (i.e. south of Poplar). It may be good to try to find that thread. It will shed light on the issue. In my opinion it is ridiculous especially in these nice suburban areas, but it is what it is. Some agents have an agenda. There are very nice areas south of Poplar in Germantown and Collierville. I would not let an agent influence me to completely ignore these areas.

Last edited by Tigertate; 06-15-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 PM

738 posts, read 2,454,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/memph...-matter-2.html

There is an old thread about this related to Collierville (i.e. south of Poplar). It may be good to try to find that thread. It will shed light on the issue. In my opinion it is ridiculous especially in these nice suburban areas, but it is what it is. Some agents have an agenda. There are very nice areas south of Poplar in Germantown and Collierville. I would not let an agent influence me to completely ignore these areas.
I totally agree with that statement, our realtor steered us away from some lovely areas just because they were 'south of poplar'. Estanula Trails is one Collierville example, a very nice neighborhood, convenient and very well priced.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 AM

I certainly don't think the area we're looking in is anything but fabulous...but my concern is resale. I'm afraid that it will be a deterrent to future buyers. And I'm wondering if anyone sees a potential problem with that for a hair north of Poplar Pike near Hacks Cross in Germantown?

Also, is the are that agents seem to be (unjustifiably) advising against south of Poplar or south of the 385? I ask because I just looked up Estanaula Trails and it seems to be a couple of miles south of the 385 in Collierville.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 AM

738 posts, read 2,454,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyBlu View Post
I certainly don't think the area we're looking in is anything but fabulous...but my concern is resale. I'm afraid that it will be a deterrent to future buyers. And I'm wondering if anyone sees a potential problem with that for a hair north of Poplar Pike near Hacks Cross in Germantown?

Also, is the are that agents seem to be (unjustifiably) advising against south of Poplar or south of the 385? I ask because I just looked up Estanaula Trails and it seems to be a couple of miles south of the 385 in Collierville.

Definitely "south of Poplar", it's said all the time!

The area you describe is very desirable! Good schools, close to FedEx and other corporate HQs, Convenient to 385, good shopping, I would be very confident buying in that area of Germantown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis