Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 25,448 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Memphis next month to take a job. I've decided that I'm probably going to live in Downtown or Midtown. I'm a young-looking and youngish (mid-30s) black male. I'm looking for a place with lots of young professionals and bars and restaurants and things to do. One thing I want to know is if Downtown and Midtown are equal is terms of these criteria. But more importantly, I also want to know about the racial dynamics in both places, in particular, if one place is worse than the other for racial tension. In the past I have moved to places that sounded great on paper but which I didn't enjoy because of not feeling welcome as a black man. Any information you can offer about this will be appreciated. (If anyone prefers to contact me privately, please PM me.) Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM

410 posts, read 802,861 times
From what I'm reading, downtown will be great. There are many fine restaurants and bars within walking distance. Plus you can grab the trolley and get around that way as well. Both South and North Main are growing with a lot to do. The trolley also heads east on Madison up and around the medical center so there's that area to take advantage of as well.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,350 times
I don't think you will have any issues in either area.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM

129 posts, read 304,861 times
I think you will be fine in either place.

Personally, I think you will fit in better down town as a young professional. Race doesn't seem to be an issue downtown. I like the downtown area because the residents are really open to newcomers and transplants. With the right attitude, you should be able to make friends in no time

Plus there are tons of bars and restaurants in the area and more on the way. Plus, midtown is right next door, so you can always visit!
Good luck to you!!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:14 AM

448 posts, read 870,586 times
Have to agree with the sentiment expressed above. Downtown is the right move for you. Plus, I have noticed that there are quite a few older, more established, professional blacks (and people of all races and ethnic groups for that matter) that live downtown.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:19 PM

170 posts, read 355,782 times
Agree on downtown, but both places, from my experiences are extremely open to either race. I've never noticed any problems - then again, I'm a white male so I may not notice or fully appreciate the challenges that you may experience.

Regardless, I'd move either place with confidence if I was you.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
I think for the period of time where one is exploring new surroundings, downtown will be better because of the density and number of places to meet new people. If you get the wrong vibe at one place on a particular night, just not feeling it or whatever, go next door or down the street. And you can keep doing that.

Midtown, the neighborhoods aren't as blended closely together. If, say, you go to Broad, and it sucks that evening, there aren't a large number or variety yet to go through before you hop back into the car and mosey somewhere else; you can't exactly walk to Overton Square or Pinch quickly. Then again, how many does one need to go to in an evening anyway? I may need more than most. But if you want to maximize opportunities to meet new people and minimize driving, I'd suggest downtown. In terms of diversity, midtown might be better overall for all races, but they're both pretty diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis