Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:28 PM

56 posts, read 63,576 times

Advertisements

This city is ripe with racial bigotry. It's refreshing to hear a Memphian be as open and honest as he was. Most Memphians B-S you to death. If you want to be part of a city that segregates itself, come to Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I see in my crystal ball.....
This post dissapearing within a few hours! The original poster having "banned" under his title!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:16 AM

Hey, we owe it to anyone interested in relocating to Memphis. We have to give them both sides. A blind man could see how racially divided this city is.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
Willie Herenton has been in office for too long. The city needs a change.

When is the next mayoral race in Memphis?

I thought that Tennessee had recently revised its law limiting one to hold the same position for eight years?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
And most of that racism comes right out of Herenton's mouth. You are correct on that one!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 AM

Brian, I totally agree. I didn't vote. I am registered but I just didn't. I always ask people who do you vote for if neither candidate strikes a cord with you. The answer is simple for me. I never complain about Herenton. Only the people who continue to vote for him. But neither of the other two candidates would have made good leaders, IMHO. I think the issues in Memphis are more cultural than anything. You start addressing them by EDUCATING children. Not putting more underpaid cops on the street. The separate school systems are proof of how racially divided this city is. The Memphis City School system under-performs year after year and is predominately African American children. While Shelby County is majority white. City residents fit the bill for both city and county schools but county residents could care less about failing, dilapidated city schools. It isn't fair and it is an injustice. You talk about REAL change? Let's start with consolidating the two school systems. I know it's a scary thought for many parents. But it believe it wouldn't be a death sentence for schools currently in the county. I'm not saying lower the bar in county schools. I'm saying raise them both to the same level.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
And most of that racism comes right out of Herenton's mouth. You are correct on that one!!!
Yeah, but he's open about it. Unlike a lot of whites here. I guess because I work in law enforcement. Crime is an excellent indicator of racial disparity.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 AM

Yes, that's what I want. A racist mayor. So glad he's back.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Webster defines racist as.......

1 : one who believes that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Talking about race doesn't make you a racist. And not addressing it doesn't mean you're diverse. You have the issues if the topic of race makes you uneasy. Race and culture go hand and hand. Here in Memphis, culturally, blacks, whites, and hispanics are different. That doesn't mean we can't co-exist. But Memphis's dominate culture is an inbred redneck one. Now, I don't mean to offend anyone but it's true. I'm not saying it's the only white culture here but it dominates all others. And if you don't conform to it, that's when the xenophobia kicks in.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:52 AM

Herenton has said that people who don't agree with him are racist white people. Anyone who does not agree with his ideas are racist against black people. He's said these things. "Shake tha haterz off"??? Give me a break. Great mature, adult, educated leadership there. There's nothing to argue about the guy, his words speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: