Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 AM

188 posts, read 372,389 times

Advertisements

If your child doesn't have the scores to get into the White Station MS, HS or Grahamwood elementary programs if you go to the same synagogue as the director you will get special treatment. Seen it happen too many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 AM

107 posts, read 312,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimelistener View Post
If your child doesn't have the scores to get into the White Station MS, HS or Grahamwood elementary programs if you go to the same synagogue as the director you will get special treatment. Seen it happen too many times.
Personally, I don't believe that this allegation regarding fudging scores is true; the director's own daughter attended Ridgeway, not white station...you should be careful with these type of allegations as they are quite serious. In any case, the fact there is such a perception is not positive.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 AM

It happened more than once. Sklar helped many into optional programs even though they didn't have the scores to get in.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM

190 posts, read 649,658 times
Default Shelby County Schools

I will say that Houston and Collierville are the best of the three, more modern buildings and some room to expand where as Germantown is older and limited on expansion.

The three schools are involved in a long term process of having their own school districts and this could very possible change the demographics of all three schools. It that happens, then school expansions may be needed and Houston and Collierville have a better chance of accomplishing that.

Going downtown Memphis is a bit harder from Germantown and Houston High school areas. Collierville has a better access to major highways that lead to downtown Memphis.

However lets not overlook Arlington. Newer school, good access to roads, and property values are lower than Germantown and Collierville.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 20,726 times
Thank you for the insight. I'm really excited about moving back home. Memphis is a beautiful city-naturally.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,270 times
I wonder how long Houston and Collierville can retain their high ratings.

If Germantown high school students are crammed into Houston High and Germantown High remains a SCS enterprise.....what happens to the Collierville students who currently attend Houston?

Are both municipalities going to immediately borrow money to expand both campuses?

I can't imagine larger class sizes would help their ratings.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM

If Houston does go to Gtown students only their scores will go through the roof.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimelistener View Post
If Houston does go to Gtown students only their scores will go through the roof.
Given their existing zones, I don't think Houston's (or Collierville's) impressive performance will get much better....but I am concerned they will have capacity problems if they have to pack in all the existing Germantown students at GHS that could hurt the quality of education.

Last edited by tigerphan; 11-03-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM

I read today that Collierille is considering temporarily operating the old historic high school on Poplar as a 9th grade school if they have to.

They've also suggested that they may install temporary buildings at the CHS and/or Houston high campus while they construct another wing on Collierville's high school.

There are rumors floating around that Germantown and Collierville's districts may enter into a merged system or some kind of cooperative agreement.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
I read today that Collierille is considering temporarily operating the old historic high school on Poplar as a 9th grade school if they have to.

They've also suggested that they may install temporary buildings at the CHS and/or Houston high campus while they construct another wing on Collierville's high school.

There are rumors floating around that Germantown and Collierville's districts may enter into a merged system or some kind of cooperative agreement.
Don't feed the rumors. Collierville has a solid plan, with alternate options built in depending on what happens in Germantown/Houston.

We have also been collecting the extra tax that was approved last year, and as promised, have set it aside for schools.

Collierville Mayor Stan Joyner's letter (below) explains a lot.

http://www.collierville.com/images/m...update_pdf.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis