Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,837 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am coming to Memphis soon to work to start my career out and i only plan to be there for 6-7 months just a little while. I am kind of scared of memphis but i have no choice since i just graduate college from my small town and can't find work. I will not have no money to get a car or rent one so i may end up have to take mata i don't know yet. But I just don't wanna get hurt, robbed or lose my life in this place. So if you guys can give me some info that would be helpful i'd apperciate it. Also do anybody know of any job companies in Memphis in the Marketing/Communications field that have the carpool option? So that i can ride with other people and i can easily eliminate Mata. Please no smart mouths I just need some info of what to expect of Memphis I am only 25 and Im kind of terrified as a young woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,040,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Walker View Post
Hey guys I am coming to Memphis soon to work to start my career out and i only plan to be there for 6-7 months just a little while. I am kind of scared of memphis but i have no choice since i just graduate college from my small town and can't find work. I will not have no money to get a car or rent one so i may end up have to take mata i don't know yet. But I just don't wanna get hurt, robbed or lose my life in this place. So if you guys can give me some info that would be helpful i'd apperciate it. Also do anybody know of any job companies in Memphis in the Marketing/Communications field that have the carpool option? So that i can ride with other people and i can easily eliminate Mata. Please no smart mouths I just need some info of what to expect of Memphis I am only 25 and Im kind of terrified as a young woman.

Nothing to be scared of, unless you go into one of the areas that are bad. So unless you are a prostitute, druggie, or in a gang you don't have much to worry about, no matter what statistics show or other peoples opinion.

Second, no offense, but I hope your resume is a little better than your post in grammar, if not you'll have a hard time finding work anywhere.

But MATA is a good option if you do not have a car. Also, it depends where you live and where your job is located. For instance, if you live Downtown or Midtown, and your job is one of these locations then you will be absolutely fine.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,380,698 times
I would make getting a cheap small car a top priority. You should be able to get a 10 year old Civic or something for a few thousand dollars. Split a house or apartment among a few people if you have to. Bus service here is awful. Not because of safety, but because of the infrequency of service. Just about anywhere along Poplar, from downtown to out east, is an ok area, and Poplar has all the stores that you will need. Brand new Kroger at Poplar and Highland opens next month. Will be largest in city. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM

Ok Thanks guys one more question what areas of Memphis Should I avoid, when coming there? Like which areas are the safest of Memphis and which ones are bad?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 PM

469 posts, read 964,441 times
There are more good areas than bad. Use your common sense in finding a place in Downtown, Midtown, or East Memphis, then come back and ask us about the neighborhood you are considering.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM

845 posts, read 2,529,243 times
There is a pretty good map of good and not so good areas in the thread below.....

//www.city-data.com/forum/memph...hborhoods.html

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...89f36e0af&z=10

Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 AM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
Since you don't have a car I would stick to downtown or midtown. Midtown is going to be cheaper rent-wise, in general. Vollintine-Evergreen, Evergreen, Central Gardens, Cooper-Young, Annesdale Park are all good neighborhoods in Midtown that are close (enough) to transit on Jackson, Poplar, Central - the main arterials. You can see transit maps here:

MataTransit | Memphis, TN

When I moved here, my general rule was that nothing south of Southern Avenue was good. There are exceptions (I would live in the Glenview area, for example), but it's a good quick and fast rule. Likewise, property north of Jackson Avenue can be tough (except, again, in the Evergreen & McLean St. areas).

Property ages better in Memphis the closer it is to Poplar Avenue. Weird, but it seems like that's how it works. Also, be aware that the area between midtown and downtown is called the Medical District and there are several apartment towers in there, the ones in Victorian Village comes to mind. Personally I think the district has a ways to go before I'd live there. This is sort of between Danny Thomas and I-240, maybe a few streets to the east, and again personally I don't feel great in that part of town.

Anyway opinions are like *******s so like Repboy said, ask away about stuff you find and you'll get some input.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM

Ok thanks guys I really hope I have a positive and great experience I have decided that I will only be in Memphis for 7 or 8 months. I'm be staying with some family just temporary and I was just wondering about the area and it appears that the bus stop is near Jackson Ave & National.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM

139 posts, read 309,039 times
I agree with a previous poster on doing your best to find a good, cheap car. I'm a Memphis defender for the most part, but MATA is indefensible.

Jackson & National is not considered a "good" area. I'm sure you will get some apocalypse stories here about that area. It is not that bad, but based on what I can gather about you it may not be to your liking. Keep in mind, spending some time in North Philadelphia in the early-mid 90's has forever altered my concept of "bad". Nothing in Memphis comes to that level.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 AM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
Jackson & National is okay, not the hoodiest hood but not amazing either. If you're living nearby, you'll have to be used to it anyway... do some Google map street views and see what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: