Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times

Advertisements

LOL what?? I've never seen any peeing bums within blocks of my house in Midtown. I guess it happens. My house has appreciated 4x in value since 1994 and more or less held its value over the past 4 years. Maybe your brother is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
LOL what?? I've never seen any peeing bums within blocks of my house in Midtown. I guess it happens. My house has appreciated 4x in value since 1994 and more or less held its value over the past 4 years. Maybe your brother is crazy.
Midtown emcompasses a large area, and there are plenty of areas of Midtown that have been pretty stagnant. When I lived in Midtown I lived on the eastern end of Peabody. Fantastic neighborhood with beautiful homes that retain their value. But venture a mile or so to the west, and it's a completely different story. Likewise, Cooper-Young is a great neighborhood, but wander a few blocks to the south or west, and it's crack city.

I had a colleague who lived in midtown on Stonewall north of Poplar. She and her husband eventually got so tired of the petty crime that they moved to Marion AR (ugh).

I, personally, experienced more crime when I moved to East Memphis than I did when living in Midtown, but I can easily believe that people in certain parts of Midtown would have vagrants peeing in their front lawn.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 AM

123 posts, read 200,914 times
at same time, Tennessee is at the bottom of the states ranking. Here is one about saddest state in the U.S., TN is 47th

Which State is the Saddest? - weather.com

Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM

188 posts, read 372,720 times
You guys are speaking from your experience. Glad your experience has been good.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Midtown emcompasses a large area, and there are plenty of areas of Midtown that have been pretty stagnant. When I lived in Midtown I lived on the eastern end of Peabody. Fantastic neighborhood with beautiful homes that retain their value. But venture a mile or so to the west, and it's a completely different story. Likewise, Cooper-Young is a great neighborhood, but wander a few blocks to the south or west, and it's crack city.

I had a colleague who lived in midtown on Stonewall north of Poplar. She and her husband eventually got so tired of the petty crime that they moved to Marion AR (ugh).

I, personally, experienced more crime when I moved to East Memphis than I did when living in Midtown, but I can easily believe that people in certain parts of Midtown would have vagrants peeing in their front lawn.

Yeah, I'll give you those. I often don't consider the areas around Bellevue to be Midtown, but I suppose they actually are. Midtown's edges can be scuzzy.

Your story about the people on Stonewall is very interesting. I only live about two blocks of there, and have only had one report of crime on my street (somebody walked off with a chainsaw out of someone's garage) in the past 8 months. I wonder if they were closer to Poplar. Seems like there is this "sweet spot" of being just a little bit off Poplar, either to the north or south, but not being TOO far away from Poplar, so that you end up in no man's land...

Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Yeah, I'll give you those. I often don't consider the areas around Bellevue to be Midtown, but I suppose they actually are. Midtown's edges can be scuzzy.

Your story about the people on Stonewall is very interesting. I only live about two blocks of there, and have only had one report of crime on my street (somebody walked off with a chainsaw out of someone's garage) in the past 8 months. I wonder if they were closer to Poplar. Seems like there is this "sweet spot" of being just a little bit off Poplar, either to the north or south, but not being TOO far away from Poplar, so that you end up in no man's land...
Maybe they were too close to Poplar. I do remember that the wife told me she could never leave anything on their front porch without it being stolen, even potted plants. When I lived in East Memphis, my house was broken into 4 times in 18 months (and that was with a security system) but my neighbors didn't experience that level of crime although they did each experience some. So who knows how thugs and crooks pick their victims.

I really do love Memphis and am seriously considering living there again. I love the natural beauty where I live right now but love Memphis as a city much better than where I am right now, warts and all. Even with the high level of crime, I was the complete opposite of miserable while living in Memphis, and it was a sad day when I left to move back to East Tennessee. While there's no need for us to sugarcoat the problems Memphis has (and Memphis has more than its share of problems), it's not the blighted ghetto that some people think it is.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Quote:
Maybe they were too close to Poplar. I do remember that the wife told me she could never leave anything on their front porch without it being stolen, even potted plants. When I lived in East Memphis, my house was broken into 4 times in 18 months (and that was with a security system) but my neighbors didn't experience that level of crime although they did each experience some. So who knows how thugs and crooks pick their victims.

I really do love Memphis and am seriously considering living there again. I love the natural beauty where I live right now but love Memphis as a city much better than where I am right now, warts and all. Even with the high level of crime, I was the complete opposite of miserable while living in Memphis, and it was a sad day when I left to move back to East Tennessee. While there's no need for us to sugarcoat the problems Memphis has (and Memphis has more than its share of problems), it's not the blighted ghetto that some people think it is.

What part of East Memphis were you in? 4 break-ins is a year in a half is crazy. There are people in the worst Memphis hoods that are not getting victimized that often.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
What part of East Memphis were you in? 4 break-ins is a year in a half is crazy. There are people in the worst Memphis hoods that are not getting victimized that often.
It was south of Poplar near Eastgate. I'm pretty sure it was the same guy(s) over and over again. I had hired some guy off the street to do some yard work for me when I first bought the house and was still renovating it; I hadn't even bought a lawn mower yet. I guess he liked what he saw when he came inside the house so I could pay him. I shouldn't have let him inside, of course, so chalk that one up to an expensive lesson for me. After I moved out, I went back about 2 years later, and the people who bought my house said they hadn't experienced any crime at all. So for whatever reason, I was a target.

A female colleague of mine who lived in the Ridgeway/Quince area of East Memphis was attacked at her mailbox one afternoon, and it scared her enough to take an early retirement and leave Memphis altogether. My family and friends think I'm nuts for wanting to move back to Memphis, but I can't help but love the place. And now that I have a couple of noisy dogs, I'm not as worried about someone breaking into my house. Even though my job would be in Germantown, I'm looking at somewhere along the Green Line, maybe High Point Terrace, Normandy Meadows, or Richland Acres. I have zero desire to live in the suburbs.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Quote:
It was south of Poplar near Eastgate. I'm pretty sure it was the same guy(s) over and over again. I had hired some guy off the street to do some yard work for me when I first bought the house and was still renovating it; I hadn't even bought a lawn mower yet. I guess he liked what he saw when he came inside the house so I could pay him. I shouldn't have let him inside, of course, so chalk that one up to an expensive lesson for me. After I moved out, I went back about 2 years later, and the people who bought my house said they hadn't experienced any crime at all. So for whatever reason, I was a target.

A female colleague of mine who lived in the Ridgeway/Quince area of East Memphis was attacked at her mailbox one afternoon, and it scared her enough to take an early retirement and leave Memphis altogether. My family and friends think I'm nuts for wanting to move back to Memphis, but I can't help but love the place. And now that I have a couple of noisy dogs, I'm not as worried about someone breaking into my house. Even though my job would be in Germantown, I'm looking at somewhere along the Green Line, maybe High Point Terrace, Normandy Meadows, or Richland Acres. I have zero desire to live in the suburbs.

Oh I see,

The Eastgate area is a pretty low crime area, but as you said, you can become a target no matter where you are if the wrong person sees something they want and is determined to get it. I am generally pretty cautious about who I let into my home to perform work for the reason you described.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:42 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
To like Memphis you have to be a true southerner. Also you have to love suburban living and have a job that you love. Neither one is me and I hated it with a passion. I will never move anywhere in the south ever ever again. (my problem was with southern culture not with the city) Otoh, Memphis isn't as bad as some think. There is a lot of potential for that city to move forward. I will almost bet money on seeing the area boom with the right money and pro business leadership.

Sincerely, if you are a mid-westerner, what is a true southerner. I don't know and yet I am surrounded by them I'm sure. Yet, I spent a week in Detroit recently and I didn't notice anything about those people that would have made me call them true mid-westerners.

Next and obvious that I would ask this after the above. What on earth is southern culture? There is not one southern state that is like another. Geography, topography, weather, food, accents, access to mouthains, access to sea, urban or rural; the diversity is so great that to dismiss a quarter of the nation is a bit naive. But of course you do have the right to be dismissive, but you may miss things in life that way.

Best wishes,

Thanks,
raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis