Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:36 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
have more mid priced restaurants like Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, Applebee's, nicer hotels and more shopping along the areas near Graceland, I think the Whitehaven area would really benefit if there was more shopping, nicer restaurants and hotels.

Whitehaven's improving, the city is investing road, sidewalks and streetscape improvements along Elvis Presley Blvd. It has already started. This will hopefully bring more private investments. Elvis Presley Boulevard Improvements :: City of Memphis, TN
Then the largest Hotel outside of the downtown market(450 Room hotel) has already broken ground, which will be right next to Graceland. Upscale restauraunts, bowling and more is coming. So the moves are being made. First look at proposed Guest House at Graceland - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13
I'm really glad they're doing something to improve Elvis Presley Blvd and them adding upscale restaurants along with a big hotel and more are coming, I always felt Whitehaven (especially the areas around Graceland) should have a lot of attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:41 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times
I would also lower the speed limit on Winchester starting from 385 going eastbound to Hacks Cross from 45 to 35.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 AM

65 posts, read 100,214 times
Widen walnut grove, and hurry up with this sam cooper crap

Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethyDuck View Post
Widen walnut grove, and hurry up with this sam cooper crap
The MPO has Walnut Grove extending out into Fayette County, with an exit on I-269.

They are going to have to widen it soon I think. The Kirby/Shelby Farms work will help that a lot.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:24 AM

65 posts, read 100,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
The MPO has Walnut Grove extending out into Fayette County, with an exit on I-269.

They are going to have to widen it soon I think. The Kirby/Shelby Farms work will help that a lot.
Yes, I meant to particularly widen it around the shelby farms area.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 AM

25 posts, read 45,987 times
Crime, crime, crime.....get a handle on crime and other things will start to get better.

It can be done.....I just get a sense from the people at the top that they don't care......they talk a good talk on the news outlets, but there really is no action around here.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethyDuck View Post
Yes, I meant to particularly widen it around the shelby farms area.
Yeah it always backs up during rush hour. People sit in traffic right there in the middle of the park.....which not only is a quality of life issue, but it kind of ruins the park during those hours. I would avoid going to Shelby Farms after work because of all the traffic when I lived in the area. All of those cars sitting and idling can't be good for the environment either.

There is a plan in the works (and funding), but some out of town group pushed like hell to block it.

I thought the Kirby/Shelby Farms plan was very good, and would add bike trails, improve traffic flow, and increase access to the park. I very much like that it would eliminate a traditional intersection for a continuous flow system. It would have reduce traffic noise and congestion significantly.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 AM

329 posts, read 635,598 times
Dose anyone feel that small businesses here need better exposure to their communities? There's a list of businesses here in Memphis that are not very well known about. The result of some these businesses closing are because of poor marketing and advertising. I believe if some of these businesses would've gotten the proper attention from the community, then they would've been closer to their potential

I feel that small business growth in Memphis is very important, and can soften the unemployment rate and raise income levels. If these businesses are going to have a strong chance in surviving, then they at least need a better way to getting proper marketing. Many lists have poor marketing and exposure as the top 10 reasons small businesses go under.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Dose anyone feel that small businesses here need better exposure to their communities? There's a list of businesses here in Memphis that are not very well known about. The result of some these businesses closing are because of poor marketing and advertising. I believe if some of these businesses would've gotten the proper attention from the community, then they would've been closer to their potential

I feel that small business growth in Memphis is very important, and can soften the unemployment rate and raise income levels. If these businesses are going to have a strong chance in surviving, then they at least need a better way to getting proper marketing. Many lists have poor marketing and exposure as the top 10 reasons small businesses go under.
A lot of small businesses come and go because their owners are bad at getting their brand out. It's not specific to Memphis. It's the natural order of things. The better businesses will stay open, the weaker businesses will shut down and open up opportunities for new players.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:48 AM

I think the enhancements to streetscapes like Madison is a major improvement that could encourage pedestrian activity. Well defined street parking helps reduce or eliminate the need for unsightly parking lots while helping create a barrier for pedestrians. I think we need to do something similar on Poplar in East Memphis around Mendenhall. Brick pavers for pedestrian islands (or stamped concrete), generous sidewalks, removal of some of the telephone poles, and well defined pedestrian crossings would go a long way.

Another pedestrian was struck by a car last week on Poplar near Massey. Pedestrian infrastructure is terrible in that whole section.

Also, Collierville has done a great job improving the highway 72 street scape in town. They need to get started with the Center Street and historic district/Poplar pedestrian and signage improvements now before federal funding dries up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis