Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM

112 posts, read 183,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
Yet again I find myself agreeing with almost all of what our distinguished blogger from Nashville says.
The clear plan of action must be that positive attitude must come first, then the vision, the set goals, then quality leadership for the implementation. Many Memphians have been onboard up to some point in this progressive formula over the years, only to see one step, such as quality leadership, fail and become the weak link. Nowhere in this formula does self flagelation enter the picture. group of homers who close their eyes to obvious insufficiencies. It's just that for the most part most are far There's no necessity for a continual recognition of basic weaknesses in the city's fabric without a plan to strengthen it, but regular recognition of positive acheivement gives others the motivation to create more acheivement. Optimism is better than pesimism. There seems to be a misperception by a few apparently that we have a large beyond that point and are now optimistically pointing out current forward movement.
Yes I have lived in enough other cities, larger and smaller to make the comparison, and they all had their problems along with proponents and detractors. Proponents helped to make solutions occur, detractors without solutions (aka Haters) were part of the problem.

Sure there is a "necessity " for recognition of basic weaknesses - first you have to realize that you are behind and deficient.

What is a fact, is that people have been "blowing smoke" about Memphis' alleged implementation of a "corrective plan" for over 25 years....and have FAILED year after year, decade after decade.

The great plan is a great flop, if you have not noticed....unless like many, you have been wearing rose-colored glasses in Memphis for the last 20 years..

The place is sorely BEHIND, pal. "Forward Movement " ?? gee let's not delude ourselves. The so-called "forward movement" is at a snail's PACE ! hellllooooo that's the whole point ! oh no, but Memphis is breaking its arm patting itself on the back for doing what they supposed to do in the first place. Positive growth should be the norm, not the miraculous exception and "prideful moment" for godsake. Memphis is moving "forward" so slowly that it looks like it's STILL standing still by comparison to other massive regional movement..again THAT's the point.

Some of us have been loudly proposing "plans" and forward movement for Memphis for over 20 years, and Memphis has chosen to go its own blind way, choosing to ignore workable plans to improvement. Not my fault one bit, or the fault of many many others suggesting how to become a better city.

Look around pal, if these people really wanted to change, develop and grow, they would have implemented more great ideas and not in fact resent forward thinking.

It's silly and a cop-out to proclaim "every city has problems"....sure they do, but also it's TRUE that many cities have less problems, and better environments as well. We live by comparison, not by pretense...and Memphis is long on "pretense", and very short on "forward thinking and forward movement".

Just look around yourselves...and look around, and travel around this great nation. Take the damn blinders OFF.

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,235,568 times
So... do you have some kind of personal vendetta against Memphis? Only the thing is that all I see is you posting negative stuff about this city. Sure, there are lots of problems in Memphis. Nobody's crazy enough to lie and say different. But... geez, guy, you either have some crazy personality disorder or Nashville's paying you to be an internet shill. (Haha... only kidding... right?)

Anyway, my point is - loosen up. Relax a bit. You're not going to change Memphis any by getting on this message board and shrieking about what a horrible place it is. You're going to change Memphis by *living* the change. So, if you're still in the city, go out on your back deck, fire up the grill, and invite some neighbors.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by characterRef View Post
Sure there is a "necessity " for recognition of basic weaknesses - first you have to realize that you are behind and deficient.
You are correct that you have to recognize weaknesses. Problems don't magically fix themselves. You also have to recognize what positives you have. You have to play to your strengths. Some problems aren't so easily correctable that you can just pass an ordinance, build a building, hire or fire public employees, etc.

Memphis has strength in terms of its culture, and its built urban environment (in comparison to many other Sun Belt cities). In those terms, Memphis is ahead IMO. So while things such as high crime and poor public schools are issues to work on, part of the revitalization effort has to start with better marketing of the city's assets. From the development news that I follow, Memphis does have a bit going on in terms of redevelopment and adaptive reuse. Memphis also has a tremendous asset in Beale St, and festivals such as Memphis in May.

So, Memphis, while gritty, has a bit of a cool factor working in its favor. Working on rehabbing blighted urban neighborhoods and districts is a must, while at the same time reducing crime and stabilizing the residential base.

Quote:
What is a fact, is that people have been "blowing smoke" about Memphis' alleged implementation of a "corrective plan" for over 25 years....and have FAILED year after year, decade after decade.
Which speaks right to REPBOY's point of failure by leadership. Yes, part of that falls to resident Memphians, who elect these officials. I think Herenton was a major obstacle in progress for the city of Memphis for nearly two decades. But he's gone. It's time to move forward...instead of "this hasn't worked in the past," why not have the attitude "can this work now?"

If you and others continually balk at the idea of Memphis turning the corner, then the obstacle to positive change shifts from people like Herrenton to you. By standing on the sidelines and complaining, you are doing nothing to help Memphis get out of a rut.

Quote:
The great plan is a great flop, if you have not noticed....unless like many, you have been wearing rose-colored glasses in Memphis for the last 20 years..

The place is sorely BEHIND, pal. "Forward Movement " ?? gee let's not delude ourselves. The so-called "forward movement" is at a snail's PACE ! hellllooooo that's the whole point ! oh no, but Memphis is breaking its arm patting itself on the back for doing what they supposed to do in the first place. Positive growth should be the norm, not the miraculous exception and "prideful moment" for godsake. Memphis is moving "forward" so slowly that it looks like it's STILL standing still by comparison to other massive regional movement..again THAT's the point.
Positive growth and forward thinking do not just miraculously happen. There are many factors in play. For some cities, geographic situations or natural resources fuel growth, and make it seem easy. But in others, it's not so easy...and it takes a lot of hard work, pride, and resilience. While positive growth "should" be the norm, it's not going to happen without positive attitudes. Most places with negative local attitudes are not growing at all.

No, positive attitudes themselves will not make the city grow, but negative attitudes almost certainly sentence you to continue on this path.

Rather than a pity party, if you're really fed up, then speak up. Make a change.

Quote:
Some of us have been loudly proposing "plans" and forward movement for Memphis for over 20 years, and Memphis has chosen to go its own blind way, choosing to ignore workable plans to improvement. Not my fault one bit, or the fault of many many others suggesting how to become a better city.
Again...what do these 20 years coincide with? If you can't recognize the opportunity for change now, I don't know what to say. You just seem to assume that things will continue on this path...and again, it's people with this mindset that will serve as a road block to actual progress.

Quote:
Look around pal, if these people really wanted to change, develop and grow, they would have implemented more great ideas and not in fact resent forward thinking.
Again, the assumption of the status quo. If you have come to terms with this being the way things are, that will be how they remain.

Quote:
It's silly and a cop-out to proclaim "every city has problems"....sure they do, but also it's TRUE that many cities have less problems, and better environments as well. We live by comparison, not by pretense...and Memphis is long on "pretense", and very short on "forward thinking and forward movement".
It's not silly at all, and is very true. It is true that many cities have fewer problems...and it is also true that these are cities that have had more problems before.

Take Nashville, for instance. Nashville has a whole lot of energy surrounding it right now. But it is not devoid of problems. Major problems. Our crime rate might not be as bad as Memphis's...but it isn't "low" either. Same goes for public schools. Public schools remain a big obstacle to attracting middle class families to the city. The city is constantly working on these issues, but at times, progress, like you say about Memphis, seems to move at a snail's pace. One neighborhood becomes safer, another one takes a nosedive. One school shows improvement, another continues to fail.

And there are no shortage of people with the same attitudes that you have that claim the sky is falling and there is no hope in sight.

But instead of wallowing in self pity, we continue to move forward, with the goal of creating a better place. Memphis could do the same. Rather than cry about it, work on it. Don't give up. Don't let problems stop you from progress in other areas. In essence...you can do more than one thing at a time. And this does not necessarily require everyone to have a singular vision, with a single solution.

Rather than "look at all the problems we have," why not say, "if they are growing, why can't we?"

Quote:
Just look around yourselves...and look around, and travel around this great nation. Take the damn blinders OFF.

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"
I absolutely agree. Travel around the country and look at all this great nation has to offer. It's a great way to find ideas on how to improve. Different cities have innovative ways of addressing problems. One thing that Nashville has done is take a lot of time to look at our peers to assess what they are doing right or wrong, and how we can learn from them. It would be pretty arrogant to think that you can solve all of these problems by yourselves. Sometimes it takes outside help, or a different perspective to find the right formula.

"You can't move forward by looking backwards."

Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGEH View Post
Is Memphis regressing, stuck, or improving? What do you think needs to be done for things to turn around?
I know people wont want to hear this....

Memphis has been dominated by the Democrats for decades.....when's the last time they had a Republican Mayor? Just like Detroit......Memphis is following the decay of most major city run by leftist policies of welfare, and spending and soft crime laws.

Also....the stupid 2 Mayor system should have died years ago!

But the majority of Memphis is black and we know what that means.......it'll never happen.

Black people think Republican means racist and white or Uncle Tom. They wont try anything different.

So Memphis will continue to slide.......I've never seen it this bad in so many places in Memphis.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM

70 posts, read 204,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I know people wont want to hear this....

Memphis has been dominated by the Democrats for decades.....when's the last time they had a Republican Mayor?
I have no dog in this fight, but FWIW, so has Nashville. For over a century in fact.

Anyway, what are some good ideas to improve Memphis? There are a whole treasure trove of things, some of which have been mentioned. I don't really have time to go into all of them.

Last edited by Kyle; 04-16-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 PM

329 posts, read 636,054 times
Republican or Democrat, it doesn't matter . Both have good and bad, and both have corruption. It's about the best candidate who can make the best possible decisions for Memphis. I don't care about the political parties..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM

@nashvols only :

The true and salient point is that if YOU truly believe that Memphis will become some great city in the South in the near future, then I would disagree just looking at its history, politics and demographics. Looking at the history and studying it can give you insight into what these people are made of.

Second, the competition out here in the southeast, and southwest is STIFF, and those cities don't have the lethargic attitudes and xenophobic compulsions exhibited in the Memphis MSA, nor are they strapped with an albatross of being too close to the worst state in the nation....MISSISSIPPI. Therein lies truth, and people can choose to ignore the albatross if they wish , I am not so stupid to believe that this "association" is not TOXIC to progressivism, race relations, political milieu and EDUCATION.

In short, Memphis has squandered numerous, fantastic opportunities. Once outside influences see that you have squandered resources, squandered intelligent growth, squandered economic progressivism, those outside interests (corporate, etc) will PASS YOU BY NEXT TIME. More importantly, those same influences will "poison the well" for others to "take a chance on Memphis".....they ask, WHY on earth do we need to take this risk when we know the deck is stacked against us ? (when they can look at other cities around the damn world and nation).

Third, if you have TIME to "wait on Memphis' awakening", and hope for a "surge", then I think someone would have to be an idiot....particularly since it's going to take a minimum of FIFTEEN to TWENTY YEARS to catch up and/or surpass what other cities are doing NOW !. If you are say, 35 to 40 hitting the stride in your career or family life, that means you'll be at least FIFTY YEARS OLD when Memphis "turns your corner" and "turns to the upside". Crazeeee wait.

If you have that kind of time to utterly WASTE on a "maybe", then by all means, knock yourself OUT. But I would tell most people not to waste that kind of time on such a major and slow-moving project of hope about Memphis, TN.

It is however a huge bet and gamble, and Memphis has dealt itself a losing hand at the table. Other cities have already "doubled-down" on their investment years earlier. Cities like Nashville, Charlotte, Tampa, Raleigh have already "won" big "pots" with in some cases worse "hands"...which is laughable indeed.

Cities like Memphis and Birmingham are now chasing pipedreams and playing a losing game of "catchup". The evidence suggests that constantly playing "catchup" is never attractive or even fruitful.

I'll bet big money that intelligent growth (attitudes, etc) in cities such as Raleigh, Spartanburg, Charlotte, Austin, Charleston, Tampa, Huntsville, metro Nashville, will outstrip that of Memphis by a "country mile".

I wish perhaps I were wrong, but knowing Memphis well, and knowing its history well....it ain't going to happen anytime soon.....you got TWENTY YEARS ??? you go right ahead, pal...I know better.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times
This is kind of a little thing....but if you drive through Atlanta, Tampa, and parts of south Louisiana or Houston, you see trees and landscaping in the road right of ways (everything from massive palm trees to towering pines, flowering pears, and massive oaks). In some cases, it is almost like you are driving through a golf course. One of my peeves about Memphis is how hideous the place looks to people passing through on the interstate or visting from the airport. Once you leave the airport area (which is surpisingly well landscaped), you get the feeling you are in a city that no one cares about.

It's a little thing, but I'd certainly volunteer my time to support an organization that plants and maintains landscaping and trees within public right of ways. I'm sure you can get groups of local businesses to pitch in a little money to help out as well - especially if the city puts in a little bit to get it started. Memphis seems to throw public money at insanely foolish things almost constantly....why can't they invest a little $ in something like that?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
So... do you have some kind of personal vendetta against Memphis? Only the thing is that all I see is you posting negative stuff about this city. Sure, there are lots of problems in Memphis. Nobody's crazy enough to lie and say different. But... geez, guy, you either have some crazy personality disorder or Nashville's paying you to be an internet shill. (Haha... only kidding... right?)

Anyway, my point is - loosen up. Relax a bit. You're not going to change Memphis any by getting on this message board and shrieking about what a horrible place it is. You're going to change Memphis by *living* the change. So, if you're still in the city, go out on your back deck, fire up the grill, and invite some neighbors.
He does bring up a lot of valid points, though.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
He does bring up a lot of valid points, though.

Yes, I think many of my points are valid ....lol.....the problem is obvious to many in Memphis : It's
easier to "find FAULT" or potential "fault" with the messenger of divergent, critical and negative views
than to deal with the substance of what is articulated ...

In other words, there MUST BE something WRONG with ME, rather than something terribly wrong with Memphis, TN....sooooo....feeble, wrong-headed attempts are mad constantly to discredit me, the poster
offering up opinion ! don't you see ?? well yes you DO even, and your information posted is that you are
not even from the region !

Yes yes, it's convenient and low-brow to even make personal attacks....but this is part and parcel of the
dilemma that Memphis finds itself in .

The mere fact that they actually detest divergent thought and any reminder of the region's shortcomings
is one reason why progress continues to be minor and at a snails pace

That's what people with small minds always resort to....heck I'm not surprised.

You however, must be a far more dispassionate reader of what I have stated in the past, and even now.

Attacking me, is truly even MORE of a waste of energy and time....but some can't even understand that.
I'm not likely to lie about my own opinions based on solid years of experience, just to be welcomed by
cyberthug mentality or just to be praised or agreed with either !.....silly, isn't it.

People in and around Charleston have always been a cut above most of the south anyway...especially anywhere near Mississippi....which includes all of Memphis.

~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis