U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 09:21 PM

132 posts, read 621,178 times

Advertisements

In researching schools in both counties by city forums,state and district websites, school comparison websites like Greatschools and School Matters, and so on I am torn between the two. Most people on here say that most schools in Shelby county are not good or on the decline with a few exceptions, and they would never send their kids to Desoto County schools. Yet through non-biased research most in Desoto are rated very highly and most parent reviews rave about them. Why the conflicting opinions about Desoto, or is that just a natural dislike here for Desoto in general? The areas we visited we really liked all seemed to have good schools ,so what do you guys think of the following: Bartlett,Lakeland,Colierville,Olive Branch,and Hernando? We especially liked the Hernando area because it seemed farther away from the big city, and all of its elements. I havent read anything negative on here beside its distance from Memphis, or on the MS forum either. We have 2 small children ages 6 and 10, and unfortanately wont be able to afford to send them to private school. Please help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,849,571 times
Quote:
The areas we visited we really liked all seemed to have good schools ,so what do you guys think of the following: Bartlett,Lakeland,Colierville,Olive Branch,and Hernando?
I've never heard anything negative about the public schools in any of those places (except Lakeland -- but that's a story unto itself). I think any of them would probably be fine.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM

132 posts, read 621,178 times
What about Lakeland? I recently visited the area and spoke to people at my potential new place of employment. When asked where to move they all said Lakeland or Arlington.Why is it that nobody mentioned Collierville or Bartlett? What is up with Lakeland? It appeared nicer than most areas, but that doesnt tell the whole story.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:26 PM

3,376 posts, read 12,418,265 times
Collierville is pretty expensive. Housing there is much more expensive overall than in Lakeland, so I would imagine it depends on the incomes of the people you spoke to. Bartlett is also less expensive, as you can find many older homes that are smaller (although they do also have plenty of large, new construction as well). Lakeland, IMO, is more like a "starter home" area. Lots of younger familes with small kids, who buy their first home and live in it for a while. Most of the new construction neighborhoods I have seen in Lakeland are smaller homes. That is not a bad thing at all, but I would guess the "turnover rate" for families in houses in Lakeland is higher than for people buying homes in Bartlett or Collierville.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:26 AM

17 posts, read 40,215 times
Collierville has very good schools but they can be crowded, especially Collierville high. It is true that Collierville is a bit expensive. Since Collierville schools are part of Shelby County schools and NOT Memphis city schools, quality is much better. Olive Branch is on the decline. It does not offer the kind of quality of life as other suburban areas do. If you can afford Collierville, I'd recommend it. It is a desirable place to be-safe, excellent schools, very low crime, rising property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis