Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,500,960 times

Advertisements

Absolutely my favorite place to eat when I go back home...

Anyone eat there before?

That cheese toast is crazy good!

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...poplar-ave.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 04-10-2013 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Please post images only if they are yours.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM

469 posts, read 965,391 times
Houston's has been successful for many years because it has always had a somewhat limited menu, then it does everything right on that menu. Service is very good and has been so for its whole history.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,500,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
Houston's has been successful for many years because it has always had a somewhat limited menu, then it does everything right on that menu. Service is very good and has been so for its whole history.
Smart business

Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 AM

845 posts, read 2,531,839 times
Yep,

Eat there all the time.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM

112 posts, read 182,540 times
How about this :

HOUSTON's is bs, chainfood that is "perfected, expensive mediocrity"

Example :

"CHEESEBURGER 15
Fresh-ground chuck with cheddar, tomato and onion on a house-made bun"
Now I would be a damn fool to spend $15 DOLLARS on any burger

Now I'd really be stupid to spend 16 BUCKS on some lettuce and a few pieces of chicken"GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD 16
Mixed greens and tortilla strips with honey-lime vinaigrette and peanut sauce"

And a mega RIP :
"HAWAIIAN RIBEYE 33
Marinated then grilled over hardwood, served with a baked potato"

Oh yes I would be a BIG FOOL for spending 33 DAMN DOLLARS on an eight dollar
piece of pineapple - laden ribeye with ONLY a BAKED POTATO and NO VEGGIES even

Nope, also how about paying 20 bucks for a lousy half of a roasted chicken...CHICKEN ! the cheapest meat you can buy...hell just buy a WHOLE roasted chicken in the deli for 5.99

ENJOY !

“I'll take crazy over stupid any day.”

Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM

120 posts, read 267,588 times
The food is very good but overpriced for what it is. They have exceptional service and a very nice, upscale, atmoshere. Would I eat there again? Sure. Just not as often as I would if their prices were a little more reasonable.

Walking in there I saw a Mercedes S65 AMG, two Porsches, a BMW 750i, and a few other big $$$ cars. The clientele they cater to obviously don't need to worry about whether their (very good) burger costs $8 or $15.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM

680 posts, read 1,028,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Absolutely my favorite place to eat when I go back home...

Anyone eat there before?

That cheese toast is crazy good!

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...poplar-ave.jpg

I've heard great things and I'm looking forward to trying it one day.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 PM

112 posts, read 182,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
The food is very good but overpriced for what it is. They have exceptional service and a very nice, upscale, atmoshere. Would I eat there again? Sure. Just not as often as I would if their prices were a little more reasonable.

Walking in there I saw a Mercedes S65 AMG, two Porsches, a BMW 750i, and a few other big $$$ cars. The clientele they cater to obviously don't need to worry about whether their (very good) burger costs $8 or $15.

Funny observation ! I'm not sure if positive correlations exist in buying highlines (some of which are also overpriced as well), and common sense, good taste, food awareness or experience with quality anything.

I've owned 2 AMGs and both were overpriced for the value....and 11 other Benzes and own a 7 Series, which is also now very much overpriced. Dumb people in Memphis have driven vehicles they could barely afford (except on a lease) for decades. Nothing has changed it seems. There is no status in paying too much....but if you're 'paying' at least GET somewhat of what you're PAYING for ! and I would assert firmly that if any fool thinks you are getting what you're paying for in eating anything at a CHAIN RESTAURANT like Houston's, then I would kindly submit, there is nothing more to say or add, other than offer a snicker and a hearty laugh out loud.

By the By, you can also "see" a plethora of "Benzes" and "Bimmers" going through the drive-through at McDonald's, so your assertion that having highlines in the parking lot of a Chain restaurant called Houston's is quite meaningless it seems to any thinking person.

In this person's opinion, the "ability to pay 15 DOLLARS for a hamburger" is not at issue.

The quality of the food served up at any chain Houston's doesn't support the stupid pricing !....then you see other fools waiting for an hour in line or hovering outside for this mediocre experience ?? and bs "ambiance" ?

Go figure....I know better. I will have a glass of whine though LOL then go eat DINNER elsewhere !

Old 04-21-2013, 05:18 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,042,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by characterRef View Post
Funny observation ! I'm not sure if positive correlations exist in buying highlines (some of which are also overpriced as well), and common sense, good taste, food awareness or experience with quality anything.

I've owned 2 AMGs and both were overpriced for the value....and 11 other Benzes and own a 7 Series, which is also now very much overpriced. Dumb people in Memphis have driven vehicles they could barely afford (except on a lease) for decades. Nothing has changed it seems. There is no status in paying too much....but if you're 'paying' at least GET somewhat of what you're PAYING for ! and I would assert firmly that if any fool thinks you are getting what you're paying for in eating anything at a CHAIN RESTAURANT like Houston's, then I would kindly submit, there is nothing more to say or add, other than offer a snicker and a hearty laugh out loud.

By the By, you can also "see" a plethora of "Benzes" and "Bimmers" going through the drive-through at McDonald's, so your assertion that having highlines in the parking lot of a Chain restaurant called Houston's is quite meaningless it seems to any thinking person.

In this person's opinion, the "ability to pay 15 DOLLARS for a hamburger" is not at issue.

The quality of the food served up at any chain Houston's doesn't support the stupid pricing !....then you see other fools waiting for an hour in line or hovering outside for this mediocre experience ?? and bs "ambiance" ?

Go figure....I know better. I will have a glass of whine though LOL then go eat DINNER elsewhere !

So yoyr a sucka that keeps going back, nice.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,042,955 times
And just for the record, I really doubt you could afford Houston's, let alone a BMW or Benz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: