Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 PM

17 posts, read 88,442 times

Advertisements

Could it be because of that fine Memphis BBQ?

America's Most Sedentary Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/most_sedentery_cities.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorax View Post
Could it be because of that fine Memphis BBQ?

America's Most Sedentary Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/most_sedentery_cities.html - broken link)
That is sooo funny! There's certainly no arguing that Memphis has a lot of overweight, very sedentary people. I noted that Nashville came in as #9, not much better than Memphis.

I'll tell you why I was so sedentary when I was living in Memphis: for much of the year, it's just too dang HOT to exercise!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 AM

7,102 posts, read 8,871,972 times
Funny thing is I've gained weight since living in Memphis and alot of it has to do with not living in an active community.

I am accustomed to living in urban neighborhoods. When I moved to Cordova that changed and so did my health. Although there are some nice intown neighborhoods, there isn't that sort of urban lifestyle that you find in St. Louis, Louisville or Portland. IMO, it takes its toll on the overall health of the region.

Though most Memphians claim to be very spiritual, too many people are singing the "blues" and don't feel very good about their community. I can actually see that in myself after living hear a couple years.

Just scimming through the article, it appears that one of the solutions mentioned is increasing public spending on parks and recreation. However if most people are going to fear going to the parks, its not going to do any good.

Its time for Memphians to start working on improving their way of thinking. But simply spending more tax money on parks isn't going to do anything for encouraging the average Memphian to get off their glutius maximus. We have to change the way we view our city, the people in it and take advantage of what the region offers.

Interesting that some of the cities on the list are have high population density.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 AM

202 posts, read 581,034 times
I guess it must just be me, but I have actually lost 8 lbs since moving here 2 months ago!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:17 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnPedi614 View Post
I guess it must just be me, but I have actually lost 8 lbs since moving here 2 months ago!!!
I gained weight when I lived in Memphis, but it had nothing to do with the city. I lived in a couple of wonderful walking neighborhoods and near some nice parks. It was completely my fault for enjoying too much BBQ and not getting enough exercise. And I was too much of a wimp to walk from my house to Overton Square in the stifling summer heat. I'm ashamed to admit that I got into my air-conditioned car to drive the 3-4 blocks rather than walk in the muggy night air.

So I'm glad that you've been able to get some exercise (I guess?) to offset all the incredibly rich, good food in Memphis.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:37 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,321,561 times
I agree that the heat has a lot to do with it (for me). When it's 110 degrees out with 99% humidity, you will not catch me doing ANY sort of exercise outdoors! Even indoors, I dread it because I know at some point, I would have to leave the gym and walk to my car in the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis