U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,026 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Memphis area this summer. We have a 15 month old daughter so we are interested in a good school district. We have been looking at Germantown, Collierville and Bartlett. Do you have any input/suggestions on the three? We would like a community with diversity (if possible), good schools, family oriented and hopefully some good restaurants and shopping. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM

845 posts, read 2,373,865 times
All three are nice safe suburbs. Germantown is probably the nicest and most wealthy. Collierville is a close second. Bartlett is less wealthy than the other two but it is also a very nice community. The best schools will be in Germantown and Collierville. The most affordable housing will be in Bartlett.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM

680 posts, read 936,182 times
I think Tigergate gave a great synopsis of the areas in question. Germantown and Collierville are considered the top tier suburbs in terms of wealth, housing prices, and school performance....but there's really nothing wrong with Bartlett either as far as suburbs go. Bartlett is the largest suburban city in Shelby County and has the edge in shopping and retail amenities.

Arlington and Lakeland are also nice areas not far from Bartlett. The Olive Branch area in Desoto County is also very popular with families.

It really depends on where you think you'll be commuting to. I'm a strong advocate of living as close to work as possible. There are great neighborhoods within Memphis or in all of those suburbs that you can rent in until you get a feel for the area.

Good luck in your move. Hope we didn't confuse you.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM

738 posts, read 2,430,704 times
Can't really go wrong with any of those choices, just research your commute time, some houses you can afford, and come for a visit! If you come to Collierville, check out the Collierville Town Square, (Collierville, TN - Main Street Collierville Historic Town Square Main Street Collierville), the Carriage Crossing mall, Johnson Road Park, Powell Park, maybe Lifetime Fitness or Ridgeway Country Club too if you're so inclined (no gate at RCC, just take a drive through). Good luck to you!

Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,026 times
THANK YOU all for the responses.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,642,064 times
Since your daughter is only 15 months old, the school situation will almost certainly be different when she gets to school age. In the past it was pretty much accepted that Shelby County schools (which included Germantown, Collierville and Bartlett - among other areas) were superior to Memphis City schools.

That entire structure is going through a revision since the Memphis City Schools decided to throw in the towel and surrender their charter, thus making Shelby County solely responsible for public education. I don't think anyone can tell you at this point what the final structure is going to be like, how the districts will be drawn, and certainly not which schools are going to be preferred 5 or 6 years down the road.

Still, your best bet at this time would be Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, Lakeland, Arlington or other areas presently within the Shelby County school system. Odds are that the schools serving those areas will remain desirable for the foreseeable future....but there is no guarantee....

Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM

I think the path on schools has been made pretty clear at this point (see the suburban schools thread on this page)(//www.city-data.com/forum/memphis/1842396-suburban-schools.html). State law has been changed and the suburban cities will be allowed to form their own school systems. The only thing in question at this point will be the transfer of the school buildings and any future law suites concerning re-segregation issues. The chances of the suburbs being stopped from forming the school systems because of these types of law suites has a very small chance of success since there are city run school systems all over the country and racial makeup of these systems is not a factor. As long as those school systems allow all children within their municipal boundaries to attend their schools, there is no problem. The safest bet for any transplant is to make sure they are in the boundaries of one of the suburban cities if they are overly concerned about the school situation.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,642,064 times
It's a big step from being allowed by law to have a school system to actually funding one, having the infrastructure in place, qualified personnel in place, etc. I hope it all works out well for those involved, but it seems to me like a daunting task...especially to accomplish it all within a relatively short period of time. By the time it's all said and done you may have a Shelby County system that pretty much covers the City of Memphis plus the rural areas.....and suburban systems that take over most of the population from what used to be county schools. Should be entertaining for quite a few years yet...

I'm glad my kids are in their 30s and one grandkid is in private school...the other is going to be home schooled.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
It's a big step from being allowed by law to have a school system to actually funding one, having the infrastructure in place, qualified personnel in place, etc. I hope it all works out well for those involved, but it seems to me like a daunting task...especially to accomplish it all within a relatively short period of time. By the time it's all said and done you may have a Shelby County system that pretty much covers the City of Memphis plus the rural areas.....and suburban systems that take over most of the population from what used to be county schools. Should be entertaining for quite a few years yet...

I'm glad my kids are in their 30s and one grandkid is in private school...the other is going to be home schooled.
Agreed

There is a lot of work left to be done, but the burbs are VERY motivated. I am fairly confident they will have everything in place by August of 2014. Their citizens will not accept anything short of this goal.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM

29 posts, read 42,764 times
We just recently moved to the area as well, and were considering many of the same things you're currently considering. Love the Collierville and Germantown areas a lot, but haven't really been into the Bartlett area just yet. For us it all came down to the school situation, and that pretty much scared us across the border into Olive Branch (DeSoto County).

We are very happy with the move so far. Very affordable housing (we do have a state income tax whereas TN doesn't) and low property taxes. We definitely couldn't have purchased the same house in Collierville or Germantown, though I definitely would have liked to! I will readily admit there are far more places to shop, eat, etc in Collierville and Germantown, but we're only 15-20 minutes away from all of those same places, but without the headache of the City/County school situation.

Like others have said, you really can't go wrong in any of them, as they all seem like good places to be. Not sure where you're moving from, but we moved from Dallas. So for us, none of these suburbs are too far away from one another so it is easy to enjoy what they all have to offer no matter which one you actually choose as your new home.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis