Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to Memphis in Oct. 2013.

She likes to peruse boutique clothes shops, also cafés, delis, restaurants, esp. with sidewalk service.

My son, who has moved to Eads from the Bay Area, thinks that all downtown is dangerous.

Now, I know Memphis is some number of steps down from San Francisco-Redwood City-Palo Alto on the trendiness scale. However, my wife is Danish she seems to have a nose for these places in many out of the way places we have visited. However, she is somewhat naive about safety issues.

Can someone tell me what areas of the downtown might have such establishments in safe areas?

Can you generally tell me in Street Terms what parts fit this bill and general areas to avoid for someone on foot? (Yes, on foot).

For example, I saw a place called Fresh Slice Sidewalk Café and Deli and another called Café 1912 that might interest her. Both are on Cooper as I recall, wherever that is? Is this area safe?

I know there have been many safety posts, but they are scattered about and more related to where to live rather than where to shop. We know about Malls outside the city, but that is not my wife's cup of tea.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Yes Downtown is safe. Beale gets a little crazy, but don't go looking for trouble there and you'll be all right.

Try South Main Arts District, it's a very cool place with what you are looking for. Fresh Slices is on Overton Park, not in Cooper Young. But, that is another place I would look at. 1912 is on Cooper in Midotwn. Memphis has a very good food scene, so enjoy.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM

28 posts, read 44,007 times
Default South of Beale

There is a gastropub in the South Main area called South of Beale (SOB) that has an interesting menu, interesting drinks, and a very cool vibe. It is one of my favorite spots in all of Memphis. I highly recommend it!

I live in Downtown and it is very safe.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 PM

329 posts, read 635,598 times
Still find it funny when people say downtown is dangerous when it is the safest in the metro .

Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 AM

255 posts, read 710,582 times
Yes, Cafe 1912 is great. It's in the area of town called "Cooper Young" which runs along Cooper St. There are several great small boutiques and cafes in this area your wife would probably like. This area is considered "Midtown" Memphis and not downtown, but it sounds like it would suit your needs.

S. Main Arts district is a great choice, too, as mentioned. There are other great cafes and some boutiques along the way, but this isn't the best place to go shopping in terms of quantity. You can also stop in and see some of the art galleries on S. Main. The Arcade Restaurant is one of Memphis' oldest/most colorful and is on the corner of S. Main and GE Patterson, I believe. S. Main also has a trolley to ride should your feet get tired! Downtown is quite safe, and there is a lot to see!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Still find it funny when people say downtown is dangerous when it is the safest in the metro .

Agree! To the OP, I hope you encourage him to join you! He is so close to a lot of safe and exciting things to do!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
Agree! To the OP, I hope you encourage him to join you! He is so close to a lot of safe and exciting things to do!
"Him"? My son? The poster? Me? Yes, the worst curse of a vaction is you have to bring yourself along!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:29 PM

17 posts, read 23,562 times
I'm biased, I love S. Main and my older aged mom meets me here yearly. She goes out on her own all over downtown via the trolley and this year expanded to the Memphis Hop bus. We've not had any worries. Memphis has panhandler, homeless programs so even those people are polite. I use a polite but firm no thanks. The Blue Suede Brigade & police are readily available. There are some boutiques downtown. A few in the S. Main area (Sir Samuals), downtown (Shop Girl NY) and one in the Pinch District (forgot the name). It is easy to walk or take the trolley. You can get day passes for the trolley. If you can visit Memphisthe last Friday of the month as it is S. Main Trolley night and invite your son. There will be food, music and the shops/galleries stay open late.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 PM

482 posts, read 798,478 times
Can anyone tell me if these places are hiring? I need a job BAD!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: