Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:03 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times

Advertisements

I could not agree with this more. Before I moved here i thought "I would NEVER send my kids to private school..." But now I know there is no way I would ever send them to public schools here. I don't agree with spending $10,000 to educate a 3rd grader, but I also want my 3rd grader to have a good and safe education. Which just isn't possible in 99% of Memphis City Schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
"The schools in Memphis are fine.."

Feel free to send your children to Memphis city schools to feel good about it, but I wouldn't sacrifice my child on the altar of political correctness by doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 12:25 PM

7 posts, read 22,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothilliard View Post
I'm thinking about public......
I would not send my kids to the public schools in memphis city limits I would try Germantown or Cordova or maybe if you do not mind the commute in AR like Marion.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:31 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
I don't think that safety and security is entirely within an individual's control, or that individual's parents. Especially if you don't want them arming themselves in self-defense. In that case, we all rely on each other to keep your hands to yourself. Unless we can walk around in bubbles.

That doesn't mean we're all helpless. We can do things to proactively instigate fundamental and substantive change in every single school in the city. If we have the will not just as a community, but as individuals to support the positive and destroy the negative. I think the positive successful strategies need to be publicized more and citizens throughout the region need to put their action where their mouths and criticisms are, and get behind those making positive impacts. I have no doubt they exist, and while the waste of a city school board is disgraceful and warrants criticism, I think we as a community get addicted to that dark mindset and forget that criticism is meaningless without something positive to compare it to.

Like those championship quality chess players from Airways? Got a ton of publicity in '05 when their mentor left? Anyone remember that? I'm thinking no, b/c positive press is not memorable.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 AM

62 posts, read 233,855 times
Default just an observation from an outsider possibly moving in

"That doesn't mean we're all helpless. We can do things to proactively instigate fundamental and substantive change in every single school in the city. If we have the will not just as a community, but as individuals to support the positive and destroy the negative. I think the positive successful strategies need to be publicized more and citizens throughout the region need to put their action where their mouths and criticisms are, and get behind those making positive impacts. I have no doubt they exist, and while the waste of a city school board is disgraceful and warrants criticism, I think we as a community get addicted to that dark mindset and forget that criticism is meaningless without something positive to compare it to."

Doesn't this necessary change require a new administration? It seems to me there is a symbiotic relationship going on between those accepting the current state of the school system and those seeking re-election. Status quo is a whole lot easier than the major shake up required to set the system right. If there is a "gimme or I'm going to take it" culture in the community, education may not be a priority. This is the big shame. Getting an education is the ticket out poverty, yet it often has little or no encouragement in the cities that most need help.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 PM

12 posts, read 37,530 times
What a mess

Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,015 times
Default Parts of Bartlett?

What parts of Bartlett are ok and what parts would you stay away from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
If you're thinking about public schools, you'd be well served to stay out of Memphis city limits and concentrate your search on Shelby County cities like Arlington, Lakeland, Collierville, and Germantown (and parts of Bartlett).

You may also want to look at Tipton County to the north. Good schools, low crime, rural setting, and an average commute to Memphis of about 30 - 45 minutes (depending on where in Tipton you are).

Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator girl View Post
"That doesn't mean we're all helpless. We can do things to proactively instigate fundamental and substantive change in every single school in the city. If we have the will not just as a community, but as individuals to support the positive and destroy the negative. I think the positive successful strategies need to be publicized more and citizens throughout the region need to put their action where their mouths and criticisms are, and get behind those making positive impacts. I have no doubt they exist, and while the waste of a city school board is disgraceful and warrants criticism, I think we as a community get addicted to that dark mindset and forget that criticism is meaningless without something positive to compare it to."

Doesn't this necessary change require a new administration? It seems to me there is a symbiotic relationship going on between those accepting the current state of the school system and those seeking re-election. Status quo is a whole lot easier than the major shake up required to set the system right. If there is a "gimme or I'm going to take it" culture in the community, education may not be a priority. This is the big shame. Getting an education is the ticket out poverty, yet it often has little or no encouragement in the cities that most need help.
While I'd like to see a change in leadership, I don't think a lack of change is any legitimate significant obstacle to the change the citizenry can instigate. I just don't accept the notion that private citizens are powerless, and that should never be an excuse for stagnation. A change in leadership would help, either to speed the process along or to reach that evasive 100% mark of progress that each of us has. But the fact that the change may be delayed doesn't excuse us from pursuing progress toward that 50% mark, or 70% mark, because each percent is progress, and we can do what we can to move closer to it.

And just because my neighbor isn't on board isn't going to deter me from getting off my a$$ and saying enough is enough. I think there are too many people either afraid or too lamb-ish to be the lone or rare sentinel who spearheads the progress. But that's just what this community needs. People who can blast through the traditional self-imposed obstacles and use their minds and vision to steer the community closer to the goal, if not totally there. I mean, I think the Residents for a Safer Downtown Memphis are a perfect example of this. They didn't wait for government to satisfy them. They stood up. There are enough Memphians (both in the city and from a regional standpoint) who have simiilar visions about the kind of education, economic development, and world-class potential this region can achieve, we just need forums and methods to get them to put aside traditional obstacles and unify them toward their goal.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 16,702 times
Default west memphis

west memphis has great elementary schools- richland--great junior high--west--good state benchmarks--west memphis is a great community to raise your kids---

Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Cool public schools are pretty much the same all over the country

Public schools in most major cities in America are the same: violent, lack of discipline, lack of teaching, etc... - blah, blah, blah. We live in a violent society (America being top of the list in violent crimes). However, to pay outrageous amounts of money privately, to teach a 3rd grader is absurd. Suburban flight contributes to the problem, not the solution. Children in the subs are missing valuable cultural and societal benefits, not to mention ruining our planet with gas fumes and big box stores. These are the same parents who complain about lead in their kids 100th toy they really do not need. Turn off the TV or try home schooling if you want to make a difference and make Washington listen. Better yet, get rid of the No Child Left Behind Act and the Department of Education, all together. The smartest, most interesting, innovative kids, I have ever met, came either from the rural farm or the city. Not the suburbs. It's a shame people just want to run and hide instead of being a part of our great cities - Memphis, being one of them.
Good luck in your move and take the last poster's advice.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 11-30-2007 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 07:17 PM

18 posts, read 42,544 times
schools are awful- private all the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis