U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 PM

32 posts, read 56,536 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any halfway decent rooms to rent? My husband just accepted a job that he begins on Monday. It is somewhere south along Riverport Rd.. He is only looking for something low priced either weekly or maybe monthly (if he can afford the up front costs) that he can stay in until almost Christmas when he comes home to help us do the whole load the u-haul thing. So far I have only seen things listed on Craigslist and most do not give much of any info. I would love to hear if anyone else did the same and had some advice on an area or someone to rent from, etc.
He is a 45 year old man who doesn't do the bar scene or anything. Just looking for a place to sleep, maybe watch tv, maybe wash clothes (who doesn't hate laundromats?), and eat meals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:55 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,922,504 times
There are several places in Midtown.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM

7,070 posts, read 15,861,397 times
That part of town just isn't that great. I'm afraid a room to rent might be in a bad situation. Might not, but chances are not good.

I agree that for an affordable room to rent, look towards Midtown... it's gonna be the closest with lots of those kinds of choices. He can get there fairly quickly down 240 then west on 55.

What kind of $$ is he looking at?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Since he is coming there with having been unemployed for the past month, he is looking as cheap as possible. We have seen some that looked like possibilities for about 400 a month, but the deposit plus monthly amount is what kills it. I am guessing he is going to have to be looking at the weekly ones that he can then pay monthly amount once he begins getting his paychecks from the new job. He is driving from the Bragg area of NC so he will not be coming in until Sunday when he needs a place, so no chance of looking at anything first.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:47 AM

7,070 posts, read 15,861,397 times
I'm trying to think. Extended Stay and Value Place both have decent nightly rates, but the relevant locations for Value Place are very dicey (IMHO). The Extended Stay on Corporate Drive is something I would personally stay in.

The Cooper-Young Hostel has shared-bunk rooms for $20 a night or single-person rooms for $30 a night. Not sure if this is affordable enough for you, as that would be $140-$210 per week. This is a safe area.

These would allow him to go look at weekly rooms or monthly rooms after he's already settled in Memphis. The city is safe in certain areas and I think he would feel much more comfortable and be more successful finding a more "permanent" place once he's already in Memphis...

Here's some stuff from Craigslist:

This is also a good area, not sure which house this is exactly, though: http://memphis.craigslist.org/roo/3995067742.html

http://memphis.craigslist.org/roo/3978569989.html

http://memphis.craigslist.org/roo/3966452112.html

Looks promising: http://memphis.craigslist.org/roo/3978317253.html

http://memphis.craigslist.org/roo/3953369307.html

Last edited by jabogitlu; 08-15-2013 at 12:55 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Furnish room utilities wifi satellite included This one kind of caught his attention. It seems like it might be a halfway decent area by the roads they are describing from what I have read on here. Does it sound like an okay area to those of you in the know?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,922,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
Furnish room utilities wifi satellite included This one kind of caught his attention. It seems like it might be a halfway decent area by the roads they are describing from what I have read on here. Does it sound like an okay area to those of you in the know?

I think missdawg lives in that area so he can give you an idea. The area to be wary of is is Winchester/Lamar.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,224,802 times
Based on the intersections, that's not East Memphis. It's Parkway Village. The difference is enormous! Although it's not the absolute worst part of town, it's still not where you want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis