Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:20 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgupta View Post
I don't think it is possible to be bored to tears. My weekend (fun) activities pretty much revolve around seeing live music, visiting new restaurants. It seems like there is a festival every weekend. You will not be disappointed by Southern food. There's a quite a variety of it. I love it, but its also very rich, so I don't eat it too often. Be sure to check out Ellen's soul food, and Gus' Fried Chicken. Unbeliavably good.
I'm very glad to hear you guys aren't bored, sounds like there is alot going on all the time. From what I hear, people are very excited to live here. I'm going to fly out next spring to check out Tennessee. I'm going from big city to semi-big city. What I consider semi-big city is when houses are stacked against the freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Racially, areas near White Station/Quince, such as the Sea Isle neighborhood, are the most diverse areas. In those neighborhoods, there are black and white people living next door to each other. Hickory Hill and Raleigh probably have the most diverse mix of races in Memphis (Hispanics included).

Ok Strum,

Which of these areas have the most educated people and the least crime. I've heard alot of good things on the Tennessee forum about Sea Isle neighborhood. I could care less about living with Latinos, I just want the same diversity I experience in LA County.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Or going to the check cashing place to get money to eat chicken wings.
That was a good one.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 18,178 times
Memphis is humid but nothing beats a cold glass of iced tea on a hot Memphis night! There are plenty of things to do in Memphis. It doesn't matter if you are into sports or the arts Memphis has a great deal to offer. Crime is and has been bad for years. the local school system has been in need of an overhaul for years as well. the good news is the Memphis has a ton of good areas to live and the housing prices are dirt cheap compared to what you are used to. If you want to contact me directly...feel free.

Last edited by Pearlbob; 11-28-2007 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 12-04-2007, 01:27 PM

15 posts, read 35,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I've lived in Los Angeles for my entire thirty five years. I'm ready for a change. I understand once I leave California you think I might not be able to come back based on expenses. I am financially very well off, this is not a concern. I have a very deep voice and I do voice overs on the radio here in California. I am an hispanic man, and was considering the south as a place of interest. My entire family is Latino and I wasn't sure if we would be a sore thumb or be considered a family of illegals in Memphis. I'm not interested in deflecting stereotypes. What activities do people in Memphis do on the weekends other than eat at restraunts, or a movie or a visit to the mall? I don't want to come out there and realize I'll be bored to tears. Is the humidity and bugs a real problem for people used to dry heat? I don't want to feel like I'm taking a shower everytime I walk outside. Should I consider having a pool installed? That's enough questions for now, I know I strayed in the first part, so thank guys.
Why Memphis? Are you familiar with Compton California? Then you have experienced Memphis! The racial tension is so high! Just because you are latino do not expect to be well received by the Latino community there. The latino's there are not the same as what you experience on the West Coast. Their attitudes are very different. The further from the border it seems the worse the attitude. I currently live in Phoenix and have no issue with the latino community. My experiences have all been pleasant over the last 5 years. However, in visiting last fall in Memphis it was neither pleasant or memorable and I was raised there.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:40 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
I would not go so far as to call Memphis "Compton." That's a pretty bad connotation. Memphis has it's bad areas, but I live in the city and I sure as heck don't live in anywhere that I would compare to Compton

I'm not sure if the OP was necessarily wanting to be accepted by local Latinos...he just didn't want to be stereotyped as "an illegal" by non-latino people. If you are a regular working class family, kids in school, are a good neighbor...who cares what race you are. I'm sure anywhere you go, you will find people who DO care, but overall I think Memphis is pretty tolerant of people on an individual level.

I actually had to re-read your original post because I hadn't realized that you mentioned you were latino. You sound like any other person wanting to move here...who cares about race. I wouldn't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis