U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 AM

33 posts, read 60,952 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Memphis area soon and have a job in the Lincoln Park area. I would prefer a suburban area to live in, however. Could I get some advice as far as the traffic corridors are concerned? I hear Bartlett is nice, but I wonder if how long a drive that would be in rush hour. What about Whitehaven or Southaven? They seem closer, but I'm mindful that distance doesn't tell the whole story. Any other suggestions are welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:34 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,215,849 times
I've lived here my whole life, and have never heard of a Memphis neighborhood called Lincoln Park. A quick google search shows that there is a small neighborhood park with that name in South Memphis. Is that the are you're talking about? While not the absolute worst part of town, Whitehaven's long over the hill, and I wouldn't recommend it. Southaven is fine, but I find it laid out poorly, lacking in character, and aesthetically unappealing. Just my opinion. You may disagree. It's the closest suburban area to South Memphis. A commute from East Memphis wouldn't be bad either, and East Memphis isn't really urban. It's mostly a lot of well maintained midcentury ranch homes with lots of shopping and restaurants along Poplar Ave. Bartlett is totally fine too, but I wouldn't call it "nice." It's a very middle class, plain sort of a suburb, not so different than Southaven except a couple of decades older. I do think the commute from there to South Memphis would be tiring though.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:12 PM

448 posts, read 824,436 times
I too haven't heard of Lincoln Park, but one of the advantages of Memphis is that you can cover long distances in relatively short amounts of time. Downtown to Collierville is about as long a commute as one can have in the immediate Memphis area and that trip would take about 25-30 minutes. (That same distance would take an hour and a half or so in other areas)

Traffic is generally not an issue in the Memphis area - especially compared to other cities - so no matter where you work, it will not take that long to get there within the immediate Memphis area

Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM

255 posts, read 673,514 times
Eastmemphisguy, I respectfully disagree about Bartlett. It is very nice, and has quite a bit of character. It has the older vintage town area along Stage Rd. and Court St. with cute shops and restaurants, and it has beautiful historic homes. It also has newer developments... This isn't the same Bartlett from the late 80's or 90's. I invite you to come to Bartlett and explore a little more.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 PM

33 posts, read 60,952 times
Thanks for the replies! Yes, I mean south Memphis. I'm trying to orient myself as to distances, but having lived on the east coast all my life, I all too aware of commuting times.

Other than income tax, is there any downside to living in Southaven, MS?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,215,849 times
MS also assesses car tax by your car's value, so if you have a nice car, you will pay more than in TN. Of course, the reverse is true if you drive an older car. I also find DeSoto very seperate from Memphis, both because the road systems were designed differently, and because most of the Memphis neighborhoods that border DeSoto are unpleasant places that most people would prefer not to go through if they can help it. But people in DeSoto LOVE the separation and having their own identity. They are not shy about it! You may like it too. If you're from the NE, no commute here is going to seem bad and no area is going to seem expensive. So Memphis metro has that going for it. Oh, and DeSoto has a very strong Southern cultural identity. Not a value judgement, just a fact. You may have some culture shock. Good luck to you. I hope you will be happy here!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:38 PM

448 posts, read 824,436 times
Yes, Desoto County does in a strange sense seem "cut off" from Memphis. Northern Virginia is very similar with respect to DC.

Depending on what you are looking for, you may want to look a little closer to the Olive Branch side of Southaven because the houses and apartments are newer and nicer on that side.

Also, another advantage to Desoto is that while the tags may be more expensive, the housing is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis