Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 22,857 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about these schools?

Macon Road Baptist

Tiption-Rosemark Academy

FACS

Briarcrest

ECS

My husband and I are looking to put our children in a private Christian school and need some help discerning the good, bad, and the ugly. Any advice?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISlayToo View Post
Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about these schools?

Macon Road Baptist

Tiption-Rosemark Academy

FACS

Briarcrest

ECS

My husband and I are looking to put our children in a private Christian school and need some help discerning the good, bad, and the ugly. Any advice?
Macon Road Baptist is not accredited. Consequently, there will be problems getting grades accepted for transfer to other schools or colleges. For accreditation, you want to see SACS accreditation. Association of Christian Schools is only an indicator of religion, but not instructional quality.

Tipton-Rosemark - started as a white-flight, still has the repuation of primarily an "anything but public schools" school. It is accredited, though, as opposed to Macon Road. I'm not not terribly personally familiar with this one.

FACS - very familiar with it. I wen there and sent my daughter only to pull her out half-way through her second year there. Very into religious (Assembly of God) indoctrination now, very heavy into rote learning. Differentiation of curriculum is not big here. If child falls on either side of "average" it likely won't be a great fit. Parents with concerns are treated as interlopers; status quo is the rule here.

ECS - good school, large, but good.

Briarcrest -good school, but even larger.

What ages and features for them are you looking for? We might have other suggestions that are less advertised, but also great schools.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,283 times
If you separated private schools in Memphis into tiers, then none of them would be top tier. Briarcrest and ECS would be tier II. The rest would be tier III.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
I have no clue about specifics on this question, however I do have a question for you that might help others to help you. Why/how did you choose the schools you listed? Are you looking in a certain price range, or a certain part of town? Are you wanting christian based specifically, or just a private school?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
Tigergal's comments pretty much mirror everything I've heard about those schools.

BTW, what in the world would possess someone to actually rank elementary, middle, and high schools in tiers? That is strange, to say the least. Give these kids a chance, no matter what school they go to. Gosh, I went to an absolutely awful (according to most) high school, but I'm doing pretty well; as are my Vanderbilt, Harvard, Samford, Tulane, and William and Mary-educated friends.

Just when I thought I'd read it all...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,668 times
The principal at Tipton-Rosemark Academy is John Scott, who used to be the principal at my alma mater (Munford High School). He also served as a "big dawg" for the TN Dept. of Education. I don't know much about Tipton-Rosemark, but I know that their principal is a good and highly competent man.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Tigergal's comments pretty much mirror everything I've heard about those schools.

BTW, what in the world would possess someone to actually rank elementary, middle, and high schools in tiers? That is strange, to say the least. Give these kids a chance, no matter what school they go to. Gosh, I went to an absolutely awful (according to most) high school, but I'm doing pretty well; as are my Vanderbilt, Harvard, Samford, Tulane, and William and Mary-educated friends.

Just when I thought I'd read it all...
I don't get the ranking in tiers. Often those tiers are characterized by the number of digits after their dollar sign, anyway! It's a matter of what school fits a kid.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:58 PM

100 posts, read 486,363 times
Immanuel Lutheran is a wonderful, very small school. K-8
It is in Memphis, but very close to Bartlett.
Christian Education Memphis TN Lutheran Private School

Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 PM

My oldest daughter is 4. We are looking into preschools now simply because I hear there are waiting lists everywhere.

We live in the Bartlett area (originally from California). We don't really want to have to drive more than 30 minutes to school. We are looking into private schools because the public school system out here stinks! I know, we're from California, and their school system stinks too!

First and foremost, we want our children to get a good education. Secondly, we want it to be in a Christian school where Biblical doctrine is taught. Most of their values in this area will be taught at home and church, but we feel they should get "some" of it in school too.

The reason I listed these schools is because these are the only ones that I have heard people talk about. We are not interested in sending them to a Catholic school, so all of the St. schools are out of the question. I don't care to send them to the "rich kid snob schools." I want a good education in a safe environment with decent values being taught. Does such a school exist out here...or anywhere for that matter?

Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions. I appreciate the feedback!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 PM

You say that Macon Road is not accredited and that we should be looking for accredidation with SACS? So does this mean the Briarcrest isn't a good school academically because they are NOT accredited with SACS? Both Macon Road and Briarcrest hold ACSI accredidations? They also hold other ones that I am not familiar with, but not SACS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: