Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:23 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SippiStateBulldogs View Post
If you check my record on here I am very pro southern and love my southern roots so I am hesitant to say the following (Normally I do not advocate this because it has destroyed parts of Florida and North Carolina.) but the Memphis metro needs even more transplants. Transplants will change the driving habits, corrupt politics, stuck in 1950's race issues etc... .
As a transplant myself, one of the reason we settled on Collierville was because that suburb is full of other transplants, who naturally have a more open social structure and are less concerned with the Memphis social heirarchy than native Memphians (I personally could give a darn about what high school you went to or who your parents may be or "old vs new" money....that foolishness one of the things I loathed about New Orleans). Just on my street in C'Ville, we've seen yard flags for Purdue, LSU, Ohio State, Tennessee, Iowa, Michigan State, Auburn, and Alabama. That makes us quite the melting pot.

I moved here after living in dozens of cities throughout the country to work with a Fortune 500 company that I had no connections to prior to my interview. We moved here with virtually no money and no family in the area outside of distant cousins. We also felt that the race relation problems in town were not our fight and wanted to stay as far away from that energy as we could. That kind of nonsense would eventually wear me down and make me a bitter, angry person and I don't want that to rub off on my children.

I'm honestly much happier in Collierville than I was in Memphis and I think those factors are at least partially responsible for that. It also helps to just avoid watching the evening news.

Last edited by tigerphan; 12-20-2013 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 AM

6 posts, read 20,743 times
I recently moved back to Memphis and I absolutely love it! I agree, it is disheartening to hear Memphians tear the city down and proclaim how horrible it is. I think part of the problem is that many of the Blacks have never lived anywhere else and that they do not venture out. In addition, maybe some here are stuck in the past so they do not leave their self imposed borders so they really do not know how great and fun living in Memphis is. At the end of the day, most cities are the same, I've lived in major cities and besides the self imposed borders, Memphis is very similar. I also want to add that the self imposed borders are more pronounced here because the neighborhoods are so close together and not spread far apart like they are in major cities.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 AM

28 posts, read 44,025 times
Default Suburbs

I prefer downtown and midtown because I like dense urban environments, walkability, and decreasing my carbon footprint. If you share these preferences, you can't really live in the eastern end of the city.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 AM

428 posts, read 848,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack D View Post
I prefer downtown and midtown because I like dense urban environments, walkability, and decreasing my carbon footprint. If you share these preferences, you can't really live in the eastern end of the city.
You really think you as an individual living downtown or midtown reduces a so called carbon footprint? That is like me not voting thinking it is going to effect an election or the government. Furthermore people who live in rural areas do more to help the environment than urbanites. Densely populated areas hurt the environment more than rural areas. Densely populated urban areas are a part of those who are in power masterplan to herd all of mankind like cattle into densely populated cages.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 AM

428 posts, read 848,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
As a transplant myself, one of the reason we settled on Collierville was because that suburb is full of other transplants, who naturally have a more open social structure and are less concerned with the Memphis social heirarchy than native Memphians (I personally could give a darn about what high school you went to or who your parents may be or "old vs new" money....that foolishness one of the things I loathed about New Orleans). Just on my street in C'Ville, we've seen yard flags for Purdue, LSU, Ohio State, Tennessee, Iowa, Michigan State, Auburn, and Alabama. That makes us quite the melting pot.

I moved here after living in dozens of cities throughout the country to work with a Fortune 500 company that I had no connections to prior to my interview. We moved here with virtually no money and no family in the area outside of distant cousins. We also felt that the race relation problems in town were not our fight and wanted to stay as far away from that energy as we could. That kind of nonsense would eventually wear me down and make me a bitter, angry person and I don't want that to rub off on my children.

I'm honestly much happier in Collierville than I was in Memphis and I think those factors are at least partially responsible for that. It also helps to just avoid watching the evening news.
What happen against Cincinnati? I was pulling for the tigers.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM

25 posts, read 45,993 times
I have been living in Memphis for 3 months now and here are my observations on some of these topics:

Drivers/traffic:.....I know a lot of people in big cities claim their drivers are some of the worst, but I have driven in various big cities, and some much larger than Memphis......and Memphis by far has the worst driving I have ever seen. Not only do you have a good portion of drivers going too slow, but you have a ton going way too fast, and not very many in the middle....that makes for a bad combination. And where are the local cops or state highway patrol checking speed? I'm not going to say I don't speed myself, but I NEVER see highway patrol doing random speed checks. Maybe if people knew there was a good chance the troopers would be out, they would drive better......but my experience is it's a free-for-all because I get the feeling everyone knows there won't be any cops around to do anything about it.

And NOBODY here seems to know what a damn turn signal is! I don't care if you need to get in my lane.....I will gladly even let off the gas a little to give you room to get in.....JUST LET ME KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT! I swear it's just laziness.....just plain laziness. It's not much effort to flip on your turn signal for a lane change. My wife will be moving here with me later this year and I've already warned her about driving on the highways here......always be on your A-game, and always assume the cars around you are about to do something stupid, or else you will die.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:20 PM

473 posts, read 796,718 times
I think that THP lets MPD handle most highway patrolling in Memphis.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:11 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,350 times
Quote:
What happen against Cincinnati? I was pulling for the tigers.
Cincy pushed the Tigers around and the tigers did not fight back. Then the shots stopped falling in the second half and there you go. This Tiger team will have better days. They will have to get tougher in this new conference. The Cincy game should be a wake up call to the level of intensity and toughness they must play with to win.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 PM

672 posts, read 699,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
And NOBODY here seems to know what a damn turn signal is! I don't care if you need to get in my lane.....I will gladly even let off the gas a little to give you room to get in.....JUST LET ME KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT! I swear it's just laziness.....just plain laziness. It's not much effort to flip on your turn signal for a lane change. .
LOL...I'm guilty of doing this. Part of the of the reason is that people seem to speed up more often than not around here when you need to get over in there lane in front of them. My biggest issue with Memphis drivers is that people are just discourteous in their road manners, which translates into the headache of driving around here.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 AM

28 posts, read 44,025 times
Quote:
You really think you as an individual living downtown or midtown reduces a so called carbon footprint? That is like me not voting thinking it is going to effect an election or the government. Furthermore people who live in rural areas do more to help the environment than urbanites. Densely populated areas hurt the environment more than rural areas. Densely populated urban areas are a part of those who are in power masterplan to herd all of mankind like cattle into densely populated cages.
Living in a walkable neighborhood and minimizing time in an automobile (or using public transit) decreases my carbon footprint. Choosing to bicycle or walk also has health benefits. Ultimately, the impact it has is irrelevant. It is a personal preference. You prefer to commute 20 miles a day. That is your choice. I would hope that people would select where they live in accordance with their preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis